Old October 25th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What is the most sensitive AM/FM radio

My GE Super Radio III is the very best for medium wave DX-ing I have
ever owned. It brings in an incredible selection of distant AM and FM
stations, particularly at night. I would like to find an am/fm radio
with the same sensitivity but with a timer and station preset buttons.
The Eton X does not do the job. Any suggestions. I do not need SW.
I prefer a small handheld radio not a tabletop.

Old October 26th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Malibu wrote
I prefer a small handheld radio not a tabletop.

That's not going to work. the strong MW pickup on the GE SRIII is because it
has a very large built in ferrite rod antenna for the MW band. The smaller
the radio the smaller the inbuilt ferrite rod antenna has to be and hence
the MW reception cannot be as good as the large GE SRIII.

You might go with a Sony 7600GR but the MW reception will not be anywhere
near as good as your GE SRII due to it's smaller ferrite rod receiving
antenna for MW.

The only radio that beats the GE SRIII for MW reception with a digital
readout is the Redsun RP2100, but that is in the same size range as the GE
SR and although it has presets I found they don't work very well due to
there being no keypad entry of a memory number, so you have to waste time
going through all the presets until you get back to the one you want

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"justice" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
My GE Super Radio III is the very best for medium wave DX-ing I have
ever owned. It brings in an incredible selection of distant AM and FM
stations, particularly at night. I would like to find an am/fm radio
with the same sensitivity but with a timer and station preset buttons.
The Eton X does not do the job. Any suggestions. I do not need SW.
I prefer a small handheld radio not a tabletop.

The Sony 7600GR sounds like your best bet. 1 kHz tuning and 100
presets, has a clock with a sleep timer, so I'd assume an on/off timer
as well (though I never needed one so I didn't check). Small enough to
carry around and very sensitive on MW, with a good selectable sideband
synch detector for avoiding interference. Unfortunately you'll have to
put up with SW to get what you're looking for. The GE is analog so
you'll be giving up the feel of a tuning dial, if that matters to you.
That's the reason I sold my otherwise excellent 7600GR.

Old October 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
Malibu wrote

The only radio that beats the GE SRIII for MW reception with a digital
readout is the Redsun RP2100, but that is in the same size range as the GE
SR and although it has presets I found they don't work very well due to
there being no keypad entry of a memory number, so you have to waste time
going through all the presets until you get back to the one you want

I just ordered one... can't wait. How do you like the 2100 overall? And how
long did it take for you to get it, assuming you got it from one of the Ebay
sellers? Very curious as to the shipping time.

Thanks,

Rich

Old October 26th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rich,
I ordered it from tqchina on eBay and it arrived in good order to my
door in Afrika ten days after Paypal payment.
See my review at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6055

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

. ..

Old October 27th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Slow Code wrote:
C Crane is crap, don't buy.

I doubt you can support that statement. I've had my CCRadio since they
first came out and it has beat every other radio I have compared it to,
and it has never given me any problems. Outstanding sensitivity and
very good selectivity. If you are going to use the built-in antenna,
nothing beats the CCRadio.

I have compared it to my two GE Superadios, two Panasonic RF-2200s,
Grundig YB-400, Grundig Satellit 800, etc. Adding an external loop
antenna to the Satellit 800 resulted in better reception at the low end
of the medium wave band, and of course with the 3 bandwidths and
selectable sideband sync detector, the Satellit 800 was better at
rejecting adjacent station interference. But with built-in antenna,
the CCRadio was superior.

Old October 27th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
Rich,
I ordered it from tqchina on eBay and it arrived in good order to my
door in Afrika ten days after Paypal payment.
See my review at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6055

Thanks! Very helpful.

Rich