Old October 15th 05, 08:09 PM
snow

Default scanner antenna for WiFi?

Anyone try a desktop scanner antenna for a
home Wifi network? Any improved results? I am trying to extend my Wifi
reception to the end of my house. The router is one on one end of the house,
but I can't receive a signal on the other end....about 10 feet short. I
can't move the router setup..so I am looking for an antenna improvement over
the cheap stubby antenna. Must be a way to do this without buying extra
routers, etc. Any ideas appreciated. I do have an extra desktop scanner
antenna I can dig out of the attic..lokks like it may fit the back of the
router..must be about 3 or 4 times the length of the stubby.

Old October 15th 05, 08:40 PM
Mike

Snow,

Your scanner antenna is not likely to work. The cable for your antenna will
have a huge loss at 2.5GHz, and the connector is also not likely fit the
back of your wireless router, or it may damage the connector.

This may seem is a bit off topic, but I found an elegant and FREE solution
to your problem. It can be used for scanner antennas too. You can find it on
this site. http://www.freeantennas.com/prod03.htm . If you go down the page
to the easy 12db parabolic template, you'll find the template called
windsurfer.jpg. This is very easy to make. You basically fold it and put the
other piece's tabs thru the slots and you have a perfect parabola. I printed
this and cut it out of manila folder material and glued foil to the back of
the unit. It works very well. Since you can scale this template (keeping the
reference square, square) for any physical size, it can be used for Ham or
other scanner frequencies as well. There are numerous other useful antenna
designs as well.

Mike

Old October 15th 05, 11:27 PM
mikeFNB

have a look at the many 'reflectors' you can make & fit to wifi ducks.

and no most scanner stuff drops out at 1300MHz & even then it's crap!

mike

"snow" wrote in message
Anyone try a desktop scanner antenna for a
home Wifi network? Any improved results? I am trying to extend my Wifi
reception to the end of my house. The router is one on one end of the
house,
but I can't receive a signal on the other end....about 10 feet short. I
can't move the router setup..so I am looking for an antenna improvement
over
the cheap stubby antenna. Must be a way to do this without buying extra
routers, etc. Any ideas appreciated. I do have an extra desktop scanner
antenna I can dig out of the attic..lokks like it may fit the back of the
router..must be about 3 or 4 times the length of the stubby.

Stealth Handheld Scanner Antenna? [email protected] Scanner 2 November 2nd 04 02:14 PM
Make your own T2FD Kees Shortwave 75 July 2nd 04 07:54 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 05:34 AM