Old January 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default FS: Collins 32V-3 HF Transmitter NICE!!!

FS: Collins 32V-3 HF Transmitter NICE!!!
This has plate modulation so when you key
120 watts on AM you get about 450 Watts or so out.
If you're looking for a clean 32V-3 this is it.
Non smoker and it works 100 Percent!!
I hardly use it. Looking for someone to pick it up locally here in
Essex County NJ
or you pay shipping UPS.
Price: 1000.00

To read up on it, Go to:
www.collinsradio.org/html/32v-3.html

Reply To:

Old January 24th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
YT

Default Collins 32V-3 HF Transmitter NICE!!!

120 watts on AM you get about 450 Watts or so out.

No seriously, what the F*** are you talking about???

Old January 24th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

"YT" wrote in message
t...
120 watts on AM you get about 450 Watts or so out.

No seriously, what the F*** are you talking about???

A 120 watt fully-modulated carrier has a PEP of about 480 watts.
It really doesn't mean much...

Pete

Old January 24th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Straydog

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Uncle Peter wrote:

"YT" wrote in message
t...
120 watts on AM you get about 450 Watts or so out.

No seriously, what the F*** are you talking about???

A 120 watt fully-modulated carrier has a PEP of about 480 watts.
It really doesn't mean much...

Pete

My understanding of AM transmitter technology would estimate that a 32v3,
with ~120 DC input (two 6146s, or were they still using one 4D32?) would
have at most (class C, plate modulated) 70% X 120 = 80 watts of CW carrier
output. 60 watts of audio on that final tube (as a non-linear high level
mixer) will at best, double the _instantaneous_ (peak) input voltage,
therefore power to 240 watts (plate current will _not_ double even if the
plate voltage doubles on peak audio cycle [look at your tube curves again
of iP vs vP at constant biases]) which you could only attempt to measure
with an oscilloscope. Peak output? Could it be more than 240 x 0.7 = 168
watts? I doubt it (unless he's got something like "super-modulation" in
the rig).

Old January 24th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

"Straydog" wrote in message
My understanding of AM transmitter technology would estimate that a 32v3,
with ~120 DC input (two 6146s, or were they still using one 4D32?) would
have at most (class C, plate modulated) 70% X 120 = 80 watts of CW carrier
output. 60 watts of audio on that final tube (as a non-linear high level
mixer) will at best, double the _instantaneous_ (peak) input voltage,
therefore power to 240 watts (plate current will _not_ double even if the
plate voltage doubles on peak audio cycle [look at your tube curves again
of iP vs vP at constant biases]) which you could only attempt to measure
with an oscilloscope. Peak output? Could it be more than 240 x 0.7 = 168
watts? I doubt it (unless he's got something like "super-modulation" in
the rig).

Without delving into the limitations of the 32V3, according to the info
from an ARRL publication:

"..since the amplitude at the peak of the upswing is twice the unmodulated
amplitude, the power at this instant is four times the unmodulated, or 400
watts."

Average power, on the other hand, will be 1.5 times carrier. A Class C
amplifier with high level modulation should produce an instaneous PEP
of 4x carrier power.

Pete

Old January 24th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Don Bowey

On 1/24/06 12:57 PM, in article 6xwBf.11951$bF.2404@dukeread07, "Uncle
Peter" wrote:

"Straydog" wrote in message
[...]

Getting back to basics: A 120W (input) power, class C stage, will require
60W of audio (using a high-level, e.g. plate, modulator) for 100%
modulation. If we assume 85% efficiency, then the output will consist of a
Carrier of 102W and two sidebands of 25.5W each.

In my opinion, any other explanation is useless. Do remember that the
carrier amplitude does NOT vary with modulation.

Don

Old January 24th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Gary Schafer

Peter" wrote:

"Straydog" wrote in message
[...]

I don't remember the 32v3 specs but a pair of 6146B's is rated for
120 watts carrier output on AM. 6146A's are rated for 100 watts output
on AM.

Assuming the 120 watts carrier output, when modulated 100% the voltage
doubles and the current also doubles on modulation peaks. Doubling the
voltage and doubling the current works out to 4 times the power. This
is of course Peak Envelope Power of the signal which would be 480
watts.

You can not just add the audio power to the carrier power to find PEP.
You must first add the voltages together.

Peak envelope power is what the FCC is concerned with for maximum
allowable power of 1500 watts.

Although when advertising an AM transmitter it is common to state the
carrier power and not try to confuse people by stating the PEP power
and not stating that is what is being speced.

73
Gary K4FMX

Old January 24th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

"Gary Schafer" wrote in message
Although when advertising an AM transmitter it is common to state the

carrier power and not try to confuse people by stating the PEP power
and not stating that is what is being speced.

73
Gary K4FMX

Agreed.. I was just giving an explanation of the seller's somewhat
cryptic sales pitch.

Pete

Old January 24th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
- exray -

Uncle Peter wrote:
"Gary Schafer" wrote in message

Although when advertising an AM transmitter it is common to state the

carrier power and not try to confuse people by stating the PEP power
and not stating that is what is being speced.

73
Gary K4FMX

Agreed.. I was just giving an explanation of the seller's somewhat
cryptic sales pitch.

Pete

How much would it be in P.M.P.O. watts? Coupla hundred kilowatts?

-Bill