Old May 1st 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Charly

Default DE31/KE31 vs AN-LP1 antennas

Good afternoon everybody,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in the debate of Degen DE31 versus Sony AN-LP1...

Of course, I will not repeat what is said on this excellent page (which made me
purchased the Sony while I already had the Degen...) :
http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende31.htm

I will just add comments of a user, trying both antennas with a Sangean 909 and
a Sony SW100. I also compared with an 8 meters external wire antenna connected
to the radios via a 9:1 balun (home-made, so perhaps not that good).

The Degen (also known as Kaito KA31) can give a better signal than the Sony, but
this occurs only a few times, more on the upper frequencies. I suspect that this
is due to the different tuning methods : the tab-stopped tuning button of the
Sony has rather large steps in the upper frequencies : 12000, 14000, 16000 and
then direct to 20000 khz. The Degen has continuous tuning, that might help. And
this better signal can only be seen on the S-meter. No audible difference can be
eared.

But the Sony is far easier to use.

For the initial setup first : the antenna just pops up of its case, then unroll
the wire, connect and switch on. That's it. With the Sony radio, you don't even
have to switch on the antenna : the radio does it for you... The Degen needs
more manipulations due to its design.

For the radio use then, the Sony is easier and more compfortable. When listening
a given frequency, just set the AN-LP1 controler to the proper button-tab and
that's it. For the Degen, you have to retune frequently. When you don't have an
S-meter, then is quite hard to find the best tuning spot on the Degen.

On the average, the Sony generaly gives a better signal, but the Degen is just
behind, very close indeed.

I would say that :
- if you have an S-meter on your radio
- if the money is a key factor
- if you are ready to tune the radio AND the antenna when listening
then you should go directly to the Degen/Kaito antenna.

Else, go for the Sony.

For my personnal case : I will use the Degen with the Sangean 909 at home, and
use the Sony radio and antenna when travelling (in fact I'm also using the Sony
at home...).

About the external wire antenna vs those two loop antennas:

The signal strength was about the same. Depending on frequencies and time I
might have RF noise (in an European big city's surburbs) with the wire antenna
and not the loops or vice-versa (both loops were consistant on that point)... So
in fact this can be a complementary setup.

Again, just my 2 cents...

Charly

(I have no direct or indirect connection with Sony, Degen, Kaito or any other
radio manufacturer or web site, etc... This is only my humble opinion and I
share it...)
Old May 1st 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Charly wrote:
[...]

Great review, thanks for taking the time to post it. In your
experience were there signals that could be heard with reasonable audio
quality on one antenna and not the other.

Old May 1st 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
switcher

How would that compare to a self made loop like :

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/loop83cm.jpg

more images

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/oc/

I do not use amplification .... just cap tuning ...

I made Am antennas too. The effect on AM seems to be better .. although
on SW I get 3 leds on the sony 2001D ...

--
een appeltje te schillen met http://applefaulty.be
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/bwnl.htm
Old May 1st 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna -vice- the Degen / Kaito AM and Shortwave Loop Antennas

Charly,

The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna -vice-
the Degen / Kaito AM and Shortwave Loop Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9295

The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna is by-design
designed specifically for the "Metered" Shortwave Bands
{ Tune a Shortwave Band and Set It and Forget It ! - Simple ;-}
SONY AN-LP1 ANTENNA = http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/lp1.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676.html
DESIGN = http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/3676clos.jpg
PLACEMENT = http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...nt/3676win.jpg
SEE - Sony AN-LP1 Antenna Manual - Figure "D" and Instructions
http://www.owdjim.gen.nz/chris/radio...ice_manual.pdf
TUNING = http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...nt/3676pre.jpg
With One Shortwave (SW) Band per setting for :
SW Band and Knob Setting
75m = 4 MHz
60m = 5 MHz
49m = 6 MHz
41m = 7 MHz
31m = 10 MHz
25m = 12 MHz
22m = 14 MHz
Then Two Shortwave (SW) Bands per setting for :
19m & 16m = 16 MHz
15m & 13m = 20 MHz
As noted the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna
performs very well between the
75 to 22 Metered Shortwave Listening (SWL) Bands
with some fall-off in performance between the
19 to 13 Shortwave Listening (SWL) Meters Bands.

TIP - For a Travel 'portable' Shortwave Antenna to use with
a quality Travel 'size' Radio like the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio the Sony AN-LP1
'portable' Active Shortwave Loop Antenna :
" Is-A-Winning-Combination ! " - IMHO ~ RHF

WHEREAS -The key defect with the Degen / Kaito AM and Shortwave
'portable' Loop Antennas design is the Tuning Ergonomics.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/1453sys.html
http://www.radios4you.com/antenna-ka...-LG-photo.html
http://www.radios4you.com/antenna-de...-LG-photo.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1453.html
http://www.radios4you.com/antenna-degen-tg33.html
http://www.radios4you.com/antenna-kaito-ka31.html

IMHO - That tiny little Tuning Wheel is just too small
and too 'iffy' to Tune Accurately and Precisely.
The "Play-with-the-Thing" Factor is annoying.

iane ~ RHF
Old May 2nd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 1 May 2006 15:17:52 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna -vice-

Sony baloney. Give me the Degen.

Old May 2nd 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Charly

John S. wrote:
Great review, thanks for taking the time to post it. In your
experience were there signals that could be heard with reasonable audio
quality on one antenna and not the other.

Good afternoon John,

No, at least between the two loops : the results were consistants between the
two. Only a small difference on the RF noise level (lower on the Sony) and a
better quality sound on the Sony. But not a great difference.

The great differences were found between the longwire and the loops as I
mentionned, but without clear winner : sometimes the loops win, sometime the
wire wins...

Charly

Old May 3rd 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rob

So where does the Kiwa Pocket Loop fit into this comparison? Better?
Worse? just Different? Has anybody here tried one out?

Rob