Old November 24th 05, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

Default Plans for B&W BWD-65 & BWD-90 Folded Dipole Balun & TerminatingResistor

py8elo wrote:
Hi Dave,
The resistor is manufactured right here under indent in Brazil,
the balun I build for myself using 8 ferrite beads in material 43 OD =
15mm ID = 8mm...
with each 4 of them I make a tube gluing them and soon after I glue the
two tubes forming a binocular core. In it I wind two turns of 16AWG wire
and a bifilar wound of 4 turns done with the same wire on the first 2
turns...Of this wound, I joint the begins of a wire in order to the end
of the other wire, placing them in against-phase...The extremities that
remain will be the high impedance (about 800 Ohms) out to the antenna,
them points that were united will join to one of the points of the
first wound, which will go to the GND and the point that it remains of
the first wound will be the inner of the 50 Ohms coax connector
(SO239)... But, it is for low power power... For 1500 Watts you should
find the core and the appropriate wire...
I hope it can help you...
Best 73´s,
Silva.
PY8ELO
David G. Nagel Wrote:

Silva;

No reason why your plan should not work. It might require differend
spacing but that is what amateur radios if for: experimentation.
I will give it a try. Where did you get your balun or how did you make
it? Is there a web page showing how?

Dave WD9BDZ

py8elo wrote:

Hi Dave,
I use a 1K Ohms resistor and a 16:1 balun. But you can use a 600 Ohms
resistor an a 12:1 balun.
I hope it can help you.
Best 73´s,
Silva PY8ELO.

David G. Nagel Wrote:

Dave;

The only source of resistors and baluns that I have found suitable for
making a B&W antenna is B&W. The terminating resistor is 600 ohms
non-inductive i.e. carbon. The balun is 12 to 1 i.e. 600:50.

If you do find instructions on making the balun please let me know. I
use my B&W BWD-90 daily and it does the job I want it to do. I need
broad band instant QSY for my radio.

Dave WD9BDZ

py8elo wrote:

Hi Dave,
I believe the resistor should not be inductive and it should have at
least 30% of the transmission power therefore, for 1500 Watts it
should
be of at least 500 Watts.
I build the balun for this antenna (andthe antenna) but I believe in
your country is not difficult to acquire it.
I hope it can help you.
VY 73´s,
Silva.
PY8ELO

Dave Wrote:

I'd like to build a replica of the B&W 65 or 90 folded dipole antenna.

I know that there are a lot of arguments against this type of antenna
but for the convienience, I would like to have one anyway.

$220 - $250 seems a bit steep to buy one.

I have read L.B. Cebik's article on Terminated Wideband Dipoles,
http://www.cebik.com/wbfd.html but have been unable to find a source
for the 800-900 ohm resistor or plans for a suitable 16:1 balun.

The only resistors of that value and wattage I have found are
wirewounds which I assume are not suitable because they are inductive.

For an antenna to handle legal limit 1500 watts is it necessary for
the terminating resistor to be 1500 watts? It seems to me that you
would hope that the majority of the power would be dissappated by the
wire and not the resistor.

Does anyone know where I can find a plan for the balun (or a resonably
priced commercially made one)? How about the resistor?

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the information. Who makes the resistor. Can they export to
the USA?

Dave WD9BDZ
Old November 25th 05, 02:59 PM
Junior Member

Hi Dave,
I believe they can export...
Mail to ... Or visit they english page at http://www.eletele.com.br/English.htm ...
They can make any value and any power from 10W up 1000W...
Best 73´s,
Silva PY8ELO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G. Nagel

Dave Wrote:

[...]

Last edited by py8elo : November 25th 05 at 03:09 PM