Old June 7th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Bose Wave Radio - What's Your Opinion ?

On 7 Jun 2006 01:17:09 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

For One and All,

Bose Wave Radio - What's Your Opinion ?
http://www.bose.com/controller?event...318&src=k15318
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wG6xjBK...o&i=018WRCD2GG
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca.../sku__JS314GPH

QUESTION - Is there an AM / FM Radio and CD Player {Combo}
out there like the Bose Wave Radio that Sounds 'Super' Good
and has a Real "Quality" AM and FM Radio TUNER ?

I had the use of a Bose Wave Radio for a while
* Great Sounding CD Player
* Lousy AM/FM Radio Tuner

the-bottom-line - decided not to buy one ~ RHF
.
.
- - - wrote:
- - - I want to buy a Bose radio,but I think they are
- - - wayyyy too high priced,too much money for
- - - the amount of bread.I am now thinking about
- - - buying a Tivoli radio,but I haven't decided on
- - - which model I want to buy yet.
- - - Lots O' thangys I want to buy.
- - - cuhulin
.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...item=c174rczzz

Old June 9th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Cambridge SoundWorks # 740 Radio - Loop Antenna Up-Sizing ?

Blitz,

Ideally - I should be able to take the little Loop Antenna
that came with the Cambridge SoundWorks # 740 Radio
and Up-Size It + Plus Relocate It to and Out-Side Location
and there-by improve my overall AM/MW Radio Reception.

# 1 - Same Impedance at the Antenna Input Jack from the
larger Loop Antenna as the smaller {Factory} Loop Antenna.
[ Not Tune AM/MW/BCB Wide Band Loop Antenna. ]

# 2 - Larger Loop Diameter {Larger Signal Capture Area}
and Few Turns in the Loop itself.

# 3 - Out-Side Location Stronger RF Signals and less Man
Made Noise then in-doors.

QUESTION - Does anyone with some simple practical ideas
for Loop Antenna Up-Sizing to help fix my problem ?

i still have not hit on the right combination -so-far- ~ RHF
Old June 10th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Telamon,

I have tried building and using a larger Un-Tuned Loop Antenna
with the Cambridge SoundWorks # 740 Radio several times
with out any sucess.

ORIGINAL AM/MW LOOP ANTENNA :
Eight Turns (8T) of Wire on a 4 5/8 Inch Square Form
with a 51 Inch Twisted Pair of Wires to the AM/MW
Antenna Input Jack. - - - Should be about 17.3 uH

AM/MW Loop Antenna Calculator :
http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_ante...loop_calc4.htm
This original (OEM) Loop Antenna worked barely OK
with the Radio for local AM/MW Radios Stations only.

LARGER AM?MW LOOP ANTENNA :
Four Turns (4T) of Wire on a 14 Inch Square Form
with a 15 Feet Twisted Pair of Wires to the AM/MW
Antenna Input Jack. - - - Should be about 17.5 uH
This Larger AM/MW Loop Antenna did not work at all.

Tried a 51 Inch Twist Pair feed-in-line and a 72 Inch
Coax Cable feed-in-line with this Larger Loop Antenna
with worse results then the original Loop Antenna.

-IF- In fact the Radio is Tuning the Loop then this Larger
AM/MW Loop Antenna should have worked at 17.5 uH
with the Radio's internal circuitry. It Did Not.

still insearch of . . . ~ RHF
Old June 10th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article om,
"RHF" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

Blitz,

Ideally - I should be able to take the little Loop Antenna
that came with the Cambridge SoundWorks # 740 Radio
and Up-Size It + Plus Relocate It to and Out-Side Location
and there-by improve my overall AM/MW Radio Reception.

# 1 - Same Impedance at the Antenna Input Jack from the
larger Loop Antenna as the smaller {Factory} Loop Antenna.
[ Not Tune AM/MW/BCB Wide Band Loop Antenna. ]

# 2 - Larger Loop Diameter {Larger Signal Capture Area}
and Few Turns in the Loop itself.

# 3 - Out-Side Location Stronger RF Signals and less Man
Made Noise then in-doors.

QUESTION - Does anyone with some simple practical ideas
for Loop Antenna Up-Sizing to help fix my problem ?

Snip

Yes. I've posted it many times. Cheap and easy to make with items from
Radio Shack and other places. You can make it out of magnet wire or coax
cable. Do you want a less sensitive shielded antenna or higher gain? As
long as you don't have aluminum siding you can use an exterior wall on
the inside.

[...]

You want to make a 1 turn loop and it has to be at least 50 foot in
length. If you have a 12 foot square room you can tack or tape magnet
wire to wall facing the outside will work as long as you do not have
aluminum siding or stucco. A wire mesh nailed to the frame is used to
hold the stucco up.

Use the coax from loop to radio connection.

Then you are down to figuring out the antenna jack. It could be a three
connection stereo or 2 connection mono plug. Whichever it is you have to
get the right two contacts connected to the loop. The spec on the jack I
can find on line just says 3.5 mm and that's it.

The loop is electrically small so it will pick up stations on edge in
the plane of the loop.

I use a loop like this and I get -20 dBm levels for local stations on it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 10th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 10 Jun 2006 00:57:05 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

Telamon,

The Plug / Jack is 3/16" Stereo - With the Loop
Antenna wired to the End-Tip and Center-Ring.
Note the Barrel of the Plug /Jack is not used.

~ RHF

3/16''?

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/jack-search.html

Old June 10th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - Sorry the 3/32" {Sub-Miniature} Stereo-Jack ~ RHF

The External AM/FM Antenna feed-in-line requires a 3/32" Stereo
Plug to connect to the Cambridge SoundWorks # 740 Radio
* RadioRadioShack Catalog # 274-244
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062449

The Plug / Jack is 3/32" Stereo - With the Loop
Antenna wired to the End-Tip and Center-Ring.
Note the Barrel of the Plug /Jack is not used.

David - TYVM for the Link :
http://www.switchcraft.com/products/jack-search.html

ABOUT - Modern : Jacks and Plugs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_plug
The 3.5 mm or "Miniature" and 2.5 mm or "Sub-Miniature" Size
Jacks and Plugs were originally designed as Two-Conductor
connectors for Earpieces {Headphones} on Transistor Radios.
The 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm Size Jacks and Plugs are also
referred to as 1/8" and 3/32" respectively in the United States,
* 3.5 mm ~ 1/8"
* 2.5 mm ~ 3/32"
Old June 10th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 10 Jun 2006 13:24:14 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

The 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm Size Jacks and Plugs are also
referred to as 1/8" and 3/32" respectively in the United States,

Obviously not.

Old June 10th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default (OT) : Caught - Thinking Old English System in a Modern Metric World !

David - "Obviously" ~ RHF

Obviously you have caught me :
Thinking Old English System in a Modern Metric World ! )

* English Sytem of Measurements
= Inches to Feet to Yards to Miles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_system

* Metric System of Mesurements
= Millimeters to Centi-Meters to Meters to Kilo-Meters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

* Modern International System of Units (SI)
{ Standardized Metric System of Measurement }
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI
WHY "SI" - French - Systčme International d'Unités
.
.
.. .

Old June 11th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article om,
"RHF" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

[...]

So what's going on? You got the loop antenna working?

Does the user manual tell you about the antenna plug connections?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 11th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 11 Jun 2006 01:07:58 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

'csw' makes me feel : confused, stupid or wrong ~ RHF
.
.

It is a hifi store. AM is not hifi. They think you are nuts.