Old May 24th 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Baofeng

In message , John Davis
writes
On 5/19/2015 4:11 PM, Michael Black wrote:

Anyone can buy those things, so when they find an empty frequency, "why
not use it?". ANd then that empty frequency turns out to be a ham band.

I don't know what the intent of these things are. Are they just cheap
ham walkie talkies, or is the major market elsewhere? If they start
making differnet versions, that will raise the cost.

Michael

You are correct on everything.. Yes. if they make different versions
costs will rise.. If they are honest about a dollar (or less).

But the concern of folks in this thread is not that a radio marketed
for HAM might get used on GMRS/FRS (or worse yet a government
frequency) so much as the fact that a fairly decent radio could be
banned because of folks doing that or... That folks will buy it for
that and mess up the ham bands.. or both.

Also Amazon sells them.. ANYONE can buy off Amazon (Provided they have
a way to pay) They do not make any effort to verify you are licensed.

And we already have many dealers of radio gear who have been "Raided"
by the FCC for selling ham gear to folks who have no intention of
getting a ham license.... EVER.. (10 meter gear re-tuned in some cases,
or capable of tuning 11 meters).

In the UK, the general public seems to be little interest in making
direct contact via radio.

After a long battle, we eventually got legal CB in 1981 (40 adjacent 4W,
UK-specific (spec UK/81), FM-only channels, immediately below the 10m
band).

About 20 years later, this was followed up with an additional 40 4-W FM
CEPT channels on the FCC frequencies (yes - a total of 80 legal
channels!) so we could harmonise with the rest of Europe.
A couple of years ago, 12W pep SSB was legalised on the 'FCC' channels.

We also have 8 500mW 'PMR446' channels around 446MHz (same type of
equipment as the FCC FRS service).

Although I live only about 25 miles west of the centre of London, I
can't say that I hear much activity on any of these frequencies (not
that I spend much time monitoring them). I believe that places like
garden centres and shopping malls do sometimes use PMR 446, but I never
hear them at home. As the legal PMR 446 equipment is very cheap, and
probably 'does the job' adequately, there's probably little reason to
want use the more versatile (and somewhat higher-powered) Baofeng (and
similar) equipment. However, although I rarely use it, my UV-3R does
seem to work very well on 2m and 70cm.
--
Ian
Old May 24th 15, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"John Davis" wrote in message

Also Amazon sells them.. ANYONE can buy off Amazon (Provided they have a
way to pay) They do not make any effort to verify you are licensed.

And we already have many dealers of radio gear who have been "Raided" by
the FCC for selling ham gear to folks who have no intention of getting a
ham license.... EVER.. (10 meter gear re-tuned in some cases, or capable
of tuning 11 meters).

Does any of the dealers care if the ones they sell gear to in the US are
licensed ? I don't think many if any do.

There is no requirement for a dealer to sell to only people with licenses or
plan on getting one.
The FCC may raid the stores that sell gear that is modified or made
especially for the CB people.I am not sure how it is now, but at one time
anyone that had an amplifer and CB in the same house evenif the amp was not
hooked up could be charged.

Old May 24th 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

We also have 8 500mW 'PMR446' channels around 446MHz (same type of
equipment as the FCC FRS service).

Been using such today, for they were the radios used at a cross-county event
by we fence judges!

Old May 24th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In message , gareth
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

We also have 8 500mW 'PMR446' channels around 446MHz (same type of
equipment as the FCC FRS service).

Been using such today, for they were the radios used at a cross-county event
by we fence judges!

What sort of range were you getting?

Some types are modifiable to the UK 70cm band (only simplex, of course)
- and ten plus years ago, The Telcom TE-145/150/157 used to be the
favourite. With the Baofeng type now being so readily available, I don't
expect anyone would bother these days.

I bought a pair of TE-145s to modify, but of course, I never got a round
tuit - partly because there was essentially zero 70cm simplex activity
around these parts. Except for an initial check to see if they worked,
I've never used them. I wonder if there's still an interest in DXing
(legally, with the integral antenna)?
http://www.delboys446.co.uk/

--
Ian
Old May 24th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth
writes

Been using such today, for they were the radios used at a cross-county
event
by we fence judges!

What sort of range were you getting?

If you look up "Bushey Norwood" on the Bath skyline, then you'll
see the extent of the site, otherwise I'd say half a mile but then the
Mongolian Hordes of infantilities would seize upon it again.

Old May 25th 15, 10:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In message , gareth
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth
writes

Been using such today, for they were the radios used at a cross-county
event
by we fence judges!

What sort of range were you getting?

If you look up "Bushey Norwood" on the Bath skyline, then you'll
see the extent of the site, otherwise I'd say half a mile but then the
Mongolian Hordes of infantilities would seize upon it again.

Ah! A horse riding event, In the circumstances, half a mile isn't bad
(at least it beats a couple of baked beans tins and a length of string).

--
Ian
Old May 25th 15, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth
writes

Been using such today, for they were the radios used at a cross-county
event
by we fence judges!

What sort of range were you getting?

If you look up "Bushey Norwood" on the Bath skyline, then you'll
see the extent of the site, otherwise I'd say half a mile but then the
Mongolian Hordes of infantilities would seize upon it again.

Ah! A horse riding event, In the circumstances, half a mile isn't bad (at
least it beats a couple of baked beans tins and a length of string).

Having been a horsey widower for the past 40 years, and roped in to
almost every ground crew activity, we have settled in our dotage on
being fence judges at the cross-country. Looking at my log-book
(Still a necessity for any self-respecting _REAL_ radio amateur!),
I've spent more time on the air at horsey events than on amateur radio!