Old September 16th 03, 07:01 AM
Beloved Leader

David wrote in message . ..

Yes, but libraries today lend videos and provides internet access.

It's 2 a.m. The libraries are closed. Shortwave isn't.
Old September 16th 03, 05:22 PM
Michael Rathbun

In rec.radio.shortwave on Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:22:25 -0400,
Tony Meloche wrote:

Ah, the memories. Back in the sixties, there was one pro-Western
station (and it was not VOA - which always used "Columbia, the Gem of
the Ocean",)
who's musical signature was the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth,
followed by a voice saying: "The West will win!" followed by the next
four notes of the Beethoven.

Portugal under Salazar. O Voz do Occident.

Old September 16th 03, 05:49 PM
Tony Meloche

Tony Meloche wrote:

Ah, the memories. Back in the sixties, there was one pro-Western
station (and it was not VOA - which always used "Columbia, the Gem of
the Ocean",)
who's musical signature was the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth,
followed by a voice saying: "The West will win!" followed by the next
four notes of the Beethoven.

Portugal under Salazar. O Voz do Occident.

Thanks, Michael. A tiny voice in the back of my head said:
"Portugal??", but I don't trust my memory that far back.

Tony

Old September 16th 03, 06:57 PM
Frank Dresser

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in message

Hm. That doesn't sound at all like the tune that's been going through my
head ever since this thread started.

Mine was more like

da-da-da-da-da-daaaa-da-da-da-da-daaaa-da-da-da-da-daaaa-daaaa-da-da-
| | | | | | | | |

daaaa-da-da-daaaa-da
| | | |

where each "|" beneath symbolizes a sharp, short click in the sound.
There was a pause about the length of three of the long "daaaa" notes,
and it repeated.

--

Did they play those tones and then break into the "Propeller Airplane Sound"
from time to time?

Frank Dresser

Old September 16th 03, 09:13 PM
Michael Rathbun

In rec.radio.shortwave on Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:57:26 GMT,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

Did they play those tones and then break into the "Propeller Airplane Sound"
from time to time?

Assuming you mean multiplex teletype transmission, I seem to recall that
replacing the bagpipes from time to time.

Old September 16th 03, 09:15 PM
Michael Rathbun

In rec.radio.shortwave on Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:49:12 -0400,
Tony Meloche wrote:

Thanks, Michael. A tiny voice in the back of my head said:
"Portugal??", but I don't trust my memory that far back.

Hauling more stuff up from the depths of memory (why is it I can remember stuff
from the 50s but can't remember stuff from last week?) the motto within the
Beethoven was, IIRC,

"Remember: the West can and will win."
Old September 16th 03, 09:38 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Frank Dresser wrote:
Did they play those tones and then break into the "Propeller Airplane Sound"
from time to time?

Funny you should use that comparison. The first time I ever listened to
SW was at the house of a friend who had just got the radio and didn't
know a thing about it. Not knowing about Soviet jamming stations, every
time we passed one all we could imagine was that it was ignition noise
from a propellor airplane somewhere. This was waaay back in the day of
the buzzsaw and before sophisticated jammers like bubble jammers.

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
Old September 16th 03, 09:53 PM
Michael Rathbun

In rec.radio.shortwave on Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:38:24 -0500,
"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote:

Funny you should use that comparison. The first time I ever listened to
SW was at the house of a friend who had just got the radio and didn't
know a thing about it. Not knowing about Soviet jamming stations, every
time we passed one all we could imagine was that it was ignition noise
from a propellor airplane somewhere. This was waaay back in the day of
the buzzsaw and before sophisticated jammers like bubble jammers.

The "open mike in an airplane cockpit" sound, when found in the middle of the
ute bands, is actually multi-channel teletype. If you can find one of them,
and if you have a sufficiently narrow filter, you can pull individual channels
out and hear very narrow shift FSK.

Those of us who were SWLs and who worked on AN/TCC-4 TT multiplex equipment in
the military all had "aha, that's what that is" moments the first time we
listened to a carrier channel that had one of these connected to it.
Old September 16th 03, 11:38 PM
Frank Dresser

"Michael Rathbun" wrote in message

The "open mike in an airplane cockpit" sound, when found in the middle of

the
ute bands, is actually multi-channel teletype. If you can find one of

them,
and if you have a sufficiently narrow filter, you can pull individual

channels
out and hear very narrow shift FSK.

Yeah, I could zero beat the BFO on several carriers across the channel.
There's a wider one now, which sounds more hissy. With a ringing single
crystal filter on it's most selective position and the BFO I can now make
some way cool "Open Mike In The Flying Saucer" sounds.

Anyway, thanks for confirming my guess about the transmissions.

Those of us who were SWLs and who worked on AN/TCC-4 TT multiplex

equipment in
the military all had "aha, that's what that is" moments the first time we
listened to a carrier channel that had one of these connected to it.

As far as the bagpipe sounds, I figured it might have been some sort of
automated signal to switch between either different terminals or customers.
Commercial radio used dial tone like signals at the start and finish of
network feeds. Westinghouse/Group W was the worst for that racket. Heard
alot of that stuff on low VHF, too.

The only reason I suspected that was sometimes I'd hear the B-17 sound or
inverted sideband between the bagpipe riffs. They usually went on and on as
if they were just marking the channel. Like the RTTY stations transmitting
the same endless pattern. Of course, the bagpiper could have been piping
out actual information, I sure don't know for sure.

Frank Dresser

Old September 17th 03, 03:38 AM
WShoots1

These days, I think the first four notes of the Dragnet theme would be more
apropos -- Y (Why?) instead of V (Victory!).

Bill, K5BY