Old December 30th 05, 01:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Fry

Default converting dBm to uV/m

"Ron J" wrote
I'm still skeptical about this formula:
Field Strength (uV/m) = 10 ^ ( (107 - |dBm| ) / 20 )
Is this valid? I saw this formula somewhere and jotted it down.

_______________

uV/m = 10^[(dBm - G + 20*log(F) + L +75)/20]

where

dBm = signal level at receiver input in dB with respect to 1 mW
G = receiving antenna gain in dBd
L = line loss in decibels
F = Frequency in MHz

RF

Old December 30th 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On 28 Dec 2005 10:53:34 -0800, "Ron J" wrote:

Hey all,

I'm still skeptical about this formula:

Field Strength (uV/m) = 10 ^ ( (107 - |dBm| ) / 20 )

Is this valid? I saw this formula somewhere and jotted it down.

Hi Ron,

To answer your question - No.

For one its units do not balance. It is not finding µV/m it is simply
and incorrectly converting to µV. There is no meters to be found on
the right hand side of the equation. The 107, as has been pointed
out, is simply the number of dB below 1mW to a 1µV signal across 50
Ohms. Even here the formula is in error as the sign would be wrong
(the dBm must be presumptively loss expressed as a positive number).
To complicate it further is the artificially forced absolute value
which invalidates any Field Strength (sic) greater than one milliwatt.

You were right to be skeptical, it is nonsense.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old December 31st 05, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:07:46 +0100, Ralf Ballis - DL2MRB
wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote:

Do any of these actually deal with field strength to receive power
conversion?

At starting point I would say yes for those how know to use it.

Perhaps you know how to use it and can explain how... it isn't self
evident.

Regards,

Ralf

Old December 31st 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:04:40 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

So, the lhs of your formulat is in units of
dBuV/m, and assumes AF=0dB/m and 1Hz bandwidth. AF depends on antenna
gain and frequency, and antenna / receiver R.

Sorry, whilst looking into the rhs I overlooked the 10^x/20... the lhs
is in uV/m... but the formula does assume an Antenna Factor of 0db/m
(and 1Hz bandwidth if talking about power densities).

Trying to find the minimal correction to your formula to make it work:

Field Strength (uV/m) = 10 ^ ( (107 + RxPwr + AF) / 20 )

Whe
o RxPwr is in dBm
o AF (=FS/Vin) includes matching effects and is in dB (1/m) (or dB/m
for short)
o same bandwidth applies to both sides for continuous spectra

For a matched antenna in a 50 ohm system under plane wave conditions:

AF=20*log(9.73/lambda/gain^0.5)

Owen
Old December 31st 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralf Ballis - DL2MRB

Owen Duffy wrote:

Perhaps you know how to use it and can explain how... it isn't self
evident.

Perhaps I can explain but it isn't necessary because you got the answer in
your last writing.

Regards,

Ralf
--
Vy 73 es 55 de Ralf, DL2MRB
E-Mail:

Old December 31st 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
RST Engineering

It is a little like asking how to convert giraffes to file cabinets. THere
is no conversion factor from dBm to microvolts/meter. One is a power. One
is a field strength.

Jim

Old December 31st 05, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:44:45 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

It is a little like asking how to convert giraffes to file cabinets. THere
is no conversion factor from dBm to microvolts/meter. One is a power. One
is a field strength.

Hi Jim,

I would have to disagree with that. Field Strength is naturally
assumed to be a constituent of Free Space, or at least in a path
largely defined with an impedance of 120 · pi Ohms. Volts and Current
are convertible through this. dBm is likewise related to an
impedance. It is classically 50, 75, 200, 600, or 1000 Ohms depending
upon industry usage. Without this understanding (often implicit
within those industrial applications) the comparisons of dBm citations
would become quite strained (for instance, computing gain/loss).

If posed this same query of translating dBm to Field Strength, I would
presume the underlying basis of comparison would be that same 120 · pi
Ohms. This is hardly a stretch given Field Strength can also be
described in units of power and area. The proper usage in Field
Strength context would be
dB(re 1mW/m²)
where dBm is frequently a short-hand for
dB(re 1mW into 600 Ohms)
or
dBm(600)
where, perhaps the user actually meant
dBm(50)
Hence, a bald citation of dBm carries a lot of implicit baggage.

Suffice it to say that there are a world of dB conventions for
expressing relationships.

The simple lesson learned from the original question is that when both
sides of the equation do not balance in their units; then that
equation is incorrect. There were more errors than that, but the lack
of balance was sufficient to condemn its usage.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 3rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Richard Clark wrote:
"---where dBm is frequently a short hand for dB (re1 mW into 600
Ohms)---."

I agree, but I`ve worked with communicatiobs systems in which the
builder specified signal (test-tone) levels throughout in dBm regardless
of the impedance at the particular point. Incinvenient, maybe, but often
the conversion factor is specified for reading with a dB meter
calibrated for 600 Ohms.

dB is a power ratio. dBm is a power level for which the 0 dBm reference
is 1 milliwatt. The impedance is not specified. 2 milliwatts is
approximately +3 dBm and 1/2 milliwatt is approximately -3 dBm.

The a-c voltmeter which reads in dB is likely calibrated at 600 Ohms
impedance. Volts vary as the square root of the power. +6 dB is 4X the
power but only double the voltage.

dBm is frequently specified as a test-tone level at various points
throughout a communications system. The dB meter will only be correct
when the impedance at the measurement point imatches the impedance for
which the meter is calibrated. When the impedance is different, The
system builder will often give a correction factor to be used with a
600-Ohm dB meter.

Knowing the power level in milliwatts, the a-c volts are easily
calculated from the square toot of PR.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 3rd 11, 03:49 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Fry View Post
"Ron J" wrote
I'm still skeptical about this formula:
Field Strength (uV/m) = 10 ^ ( (107 - |dBm| ) / 20 )
Is this valid? I saw this formula somewhere and jotted it down.

_______________

uV/m = 10^[(dBm - G + 20*log(F) + L +75)/20]

where

dBm = signal level at receiver input in dB with respect to 1 mW
G = receiving antenna gain in dBd
L = line loss in decibels
F = Frequency in MHz

RF

Sorry for bumping up the post, but I have the same question and there are some explenations after the above post. Neither confirmed that the equation above is the right one to calculate uV/m into dBm.

I have a same question but in the other direction. I have V/m and want to convert it to dBm does anybody know the answer to this?

I have already looked at this site:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-volt.htm

But it is only possible to convert V into dBm and not V/m into dBm.
Or is V the same as V/m? I don't that those are the same.

The reason why I ask is because the regulations of my country says that the E = 30,7 V/m may not exceed for transmitting between 2-10GHz. No where in that document I found the maximum allowed transmitted power in dBm.

grtz

Kristof
(making a study about LTE radio link budget)