Old May 8th 11, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Horizontal Loop for 2m SSB

On Sunday, May 8, 2011 12:22:46 PM UTC-5, Tom Rutherford wrote:

The Yagi
would be nice, but running out on the balcony and moving it around all the
time isn't practical. That's why I wanted something fairly omnidirectional,
as much of "omni" as I can get, anyway. Since I remember what my
communications instructor told us about loops (they radiate equally poorly
in all directions g), I figured this would be the most practical solution
for what I want to do.

Another possible idea could be the turnstile.
That is horizontal, pretty omni, and pretty simple
to build. Just a set of crossed dipoles fed 90 degrees
out of phase. I think you would have less gain vs
the broadside of a dipole, but you wouldn't have the
nulls off the ends.
Old May 9th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
[...]

That's another good idea. Thanks. Are the elements of a turnstile spaced a
quarter wavelength apart, or are they pretty much on top of each other?

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Old May 10th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 5/9/2011 11:00 AM, Tom Rutherford wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

On top of each other. Fed 90 degrees apart.

But I'd try a dipole first.
Old May 11th 11, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
[...]

Gotcha. Yeah, a dipole would be simple enough.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."