Old December 26th 03, 05:59 AM
Michael

Default How to design antenna for 433.92mhz signal?

Hi - I'm using some Laipac "easy link" modules in a custom remote
control/home automation device for my house. I'm using the 433.92mhz
models, datasheet he http://www.laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434A.pdf
Can anyone give me any advice about how to design an antenna for this? The
reciever will be embedded in an outside wall - so the antenna can be as big
as it needs to be. The transmitter's antenna will be in a hand held device
- so the smaller the better. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to
design this antenna? And sorry for cross posting - I wasn't sure which of
these two newsgroups this question fit best. Thanks, and happy holidays!

Michael
Old December 26th 03, 06:17 AM
Rob

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi - I'm using some Laipac "easy link" modules in a custom remote
control/home automation device for my house. I'm using the 433.92mhz
models, datasheet he

http://www.laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434A.pdf
Can anyone give me any advice about how to design an antenna for this? The
reciever will be embedded in an outside wall - so the antenna can be as

big
as it needs to be. The transmitter's antenna will be in a hand held device
- so the smaller the better. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to
design this antenna? And sorry for cross posting - I wasn't sure which of
these two newsgroups this question fit best. Thanks, and happy holidays!

Michael

There is a directional yagi design @
http://picaxe.orcon.net.nz/yagi433.jpg
and a link to further data at the bottom of the page.

If you find further resources please post them here.

regards
rob

Old December 26th 03, 06:37 AM
Rob

Other link is: http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm

Old December 26th 03, 07:57 AM
Leon Heller

Michael wrote:

Hi - I'm using some Laipac "easy link" modules in a custom remote
control/home automation device for my house. I'm using the 433.92mhz
models, datasheet he http://www.laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434A.pdf
Can anyone give me any advice about how to design an antenna for this? The
reciever will be embedded in an outside wall - so the antenna can be as big
as it needs to be. The transmitter's antenna will be in a hand held device
- so the smaller the better. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to
design this antenna? And sorry for cross posting - I wasn't sure which of
these two newsgroups this question fit best. Thanks, and happy holidays!

A simple 1/4 wave antenna should do for starters - just cut a piece of
wire to about 70/4 = 17.5 cm.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email:

Old December 26th 03, 08:34 AM
Michael

Leon Heller wrote in
:

Michael wrote:

Hi - I'm using some Laipac "easy link" modules in a custom remote
control/home automation device for my house. I'm using the 433.92mhz
models, datasheet he
http://www.laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434A.pdf Can anyone give
me any advice about how to design an antenna for this? The reciever
will be embedded in an outside wall - so the antenna can be as big
as it needs to be. The transmitter's antenna will be in a hand held
device - so the smaller the better. Can anyone give me any tips as to
how to design this antenna? And sorry for cross posting - I wasn't
sure which of these two newsgroups this question fit best. Thanks,
and happy holidays!

A simple 1/4 wave antenna should do for starters - just cut a piece of
wire to about 70/4 = 17.5 cm.

Leon

OK - that sounds very manageable for the reciever - but what about the
transmitter? I was hoping to make it the size of the typical keyless entry
keyfob. Is that even remotely possible? Thanks,

Michael

Old December 26th 03, 09:26 AM
Tim Auton

Michael wrote:

Leon Heller wrote in
m:
[...]

A loop antenna is the most compact, either a loop of wire or a PCB
track. Some info on designing them he

http://www.nvlsi.no/files/Product/ap...tesallnRFn.pdf

Tim
--
The .sig is dead.
Old December 26th 03, 11:15 AM
Reg Edwards

Assuming a roughly all-round, no-particular-direction antenna is required,
then the most simple antenna is called for. A simple antenna is also the
most efficient.

The most simple antenna is just a straight, vertical rod fed at its center
between its two halves. For F = 434 MHz, overall dipole length is crudely
0.33 metres = 13 inches.
----
Reg

Old December 26th 03, 02:16 PM
Paul Burridge

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:17:51 +0800, "Rob"
wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi - I'm using some Laipac "easy link" modules in a custom remote
control/home automation device for my house. I'm using the 433.92mhz
models, datasheet he

http://www.laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434A.pdf
Can anyone give me any advice about how to design an antenna for this? The
reciever will be embedded in an outside wall - so the antenna can be as

big
as it needs to be. The transmitter's antenna will be in a hand held device
- so the smaller the better. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to
design this antenna? And sorry for cross posting - I wasn't sure which of
these two newsgroups this question fit best. Thanks, and happy holidays!

Michael

There is a directional yagi design @
http://picaxe.orcon.net.nz/yagi433.jpg

Very useful for a hand-held device I *don't* think!
--

"I expect history will be kind to me, since I intend to write it."
- Winston Churchill
Old December 26th 03, 02:16 PM
Paul Burridge

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:15:02 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Assuming a roughly all-round, no-particular-direction antenna is required,
then the most simple antenna is called for. A simple antenna is also the
most efficient.

The most simple antenna is just a straight, vertical rod fed at its center
between its two halves. For F = 434 MHz, overall dipole length is crudely
0.33 metres = 13 inches.

Reg, you obviously know a thing or two about antennas. I need to come
up with a small antenna for a hand-held 40Mhz transmitter. I'd like to
use some sort of rubber duck helicoil to save space if poss. Any ideas
as to dimensions etc? The output impedance of the tx is around 140
ohms.

Old December 26th 03, 02:51 PM
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi - I'm using some Laipac "easy link" modules in a custom remote
control/home automation device for my house. I'm using the 433.92mhz
models, datasheet he

http://www.laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434A.pdf
Can anyone give me any advice about how to design an antenna for this? The
reciever will be embedded in an outside wall - so the antenna can be as

big
as it needs to be. The transmitter's antenna will be in a hand held device
- so the smaller the better. Can anyone give me any tips as to how to
design this antenna? And sorry for cross posting - I wasn't sure which of
these two newsgroups this question fit best. Thanks, and happy holidays!

Theese three app. notes were helpfull for me:

www.microdesign.dk/1.pdf
www.microdesign.dk/2.pdf
www.microdesign.dk/3.pdf

Cheers