Old August 4th 03, 12:25 AM
Jim Dolson

Default Mobile Icom 706MKIIg shielding problem ?

Last year I operated my Icom 706MKIIg HF mobile with no problems.
I've taken the HF antenna off and installed a 2m antenna.

With the front panel attached to the main body of the transceiver,
everything works FB.

However, when I remove the front panel and put it between the two
front seats, keying up on 2m causes what sounds like feedback - a high
pitched squeal coming out of the speaker. Talk into the mic and I can
hear myself on the radio speaker quite nicely.

Does it sound like a shielding problem with the separation cable
between the radio and the front panel? I'd be surprised simply
because I can't find any reports of this problem on the net.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Old August 4th 03, 01:54 AM
CommCtr1

Could also be poor shielding in the vehicle. But remember the cable that
links the radio head to the radio is very small, so there can't be too much
shielding in there.

Lou

Old August 4th 03, 12:00 PM
Roger Conroy

What is the length of the separation cable? Just maybe its the right (wrong)
length to act as an antenna on 2m?

Roger ZR3RC

om...