Old May 17th 04, 08:54 PM
JohnD

Default Modifying for Emergency TX

I am trying to get a two'fer and wondering if it's possible. I need
to get a VHF marine radio for boating use on Lake Erie, for weather
reports and so on. It would be nice to be able to listen to
shortwave, etc. in a single, waterproof package. I was wondering if
it is possible to modify a Yaesu vx-7r or 5r to reliably transmit on
marine frequencies in emergency situations.

Thanks

John
Old May 17th 04, 10:26 PM
Helmut

www.mods.dk

m...

Old May 17th 04, 10:26 PM
Helmut

Old May 20th 04, 06:24 PM
Doug McLaren

In article , joyce wrote:

| Good idea to spend the money on the marine radio.
| They are expensive because the are built for marine use and specs.

The local thrift shop had one (mobile unit, not HT) for $6 ... I
almost bought it for tinkering, but decided I had enough projects. No
idea if it works, of course

I guess if it's really needed I could buy it and ship it to somebody
who pays for that Still can't guarantee that it works though ...

| How about putting the radio inside the boat and route the audio
| to an external weatherproof speaker (amplified ?).
|
| You can receive noaa weather radio on most 2m radios.

Is that really true? Certainly, some can, but of the four 2m radios
I've owned, only one can receive the 162 mhz frequencies. (Another
can read 150-159 mhz, and the other two can only do 140 to 144 mhz.)
Perhaps I should just get more modern equipment.
--
Doug McLaren,
May you die in bed at 95, shot by a jealous spouse.
Old May 20th 04, 06:24 PM
Doug McLaren

Old May 20th 04, 08:09 PM
joyce

hi,
My kenwood th78a can receive 118-169 w/o any mods.
Got it new ten years ago.

Even a used bearcat scanner would be a good idea.

joyce

"Gary S." wrote:

On 17 May 2004 12:54:47 -0700, (JohnD) wrote:

I am trying to get a two'fer and wondering if it's possible. I need
to get a VHF marine radio for boating use on Lake Erie, for weather
reports and so on. It would be nice to be able to listen to
shortwave, etc. in a single, waterproof package. I was wondering if
it is possible to modify a Yaesu vx-7r or 5r to reliably transmit on
marine frequencies in emergency situations.

Not legally, and probably not well.

For safety equipment, a bit unwise to cut corners.

Many ham radios which include 2M will receive the VHF marine
frequencies (the weather channels are part of this) just fine, so you
would only need to monitor one unit for everything if you set up the
scanning correctly. You could then turn on a VHF marine radio when you
need to xmit.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA