Old December 6th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default OE-254 Versus COM-201B Antenna Comparison

I didn't know where to go to answer this question, so that is why I'm in
this newsgroup. Basically I'm a reservist for an Engineer Command.
Recently, my boss asked me to do a comparison between an OE-254 (standard
30-88Mhz mast antenna) and an Atlantic Microwave COM-201B (30-88Mhz mast
antenna). Both FM antennas reach to about 42 feet. The COM-201B touts all
kinds of advantages, but in my limited knowledge of antennas the performance
aspect seems to me to be the same or very close. My biggest concern is
durability. The Army for years (over 20) relied on this antenna (OE-254)
and opting for a different one, with limited numbers scares me. If I could
do a blanket purchase for all of our units, even those that already have the
older antenna, I would opt for that. But with different antennas
co-existing, with different parts etc, I'm very reluctant to make the
switch. Can someone do an educated comparison between these two antennas?
A study at http://www.gordon.army.mil/ac/Winter...02/USMCnet.htm
seems like an ad, instead of a fair comparison.

Anthony Jocius
LTC, CA, USAR
Communications Officer

Old December 6th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Anthony,
Dennis O'Connor here... Ham radio operator, used to be electrical
engineering guy for General Motors, and a good judge of beer and
beautiful women - so my opinion has to be right on, right?

All joking aside, I see nothing in the article that rings my BS bell...
Looks straight forward... the radiated pattern claims shown on the
graphs look reasonable.. The L-match at the input (the inductor and
capacitor) is a standard circuit that is done for matching a radio to
an antenna...
There is one point I would make the manufacturer clear up (and it is
obviously a typographical errer).. The frequency shown across the
bottom of the graph labled "Comparison of Tune COM-201 vs. Untuned
Antenna", is clearly wrong... The axis is labled as representing MHZ
(1 million cycles per second, i.e. 1,000,000) but the numbers are
entered as 0.03 to 0.09... If you multiply 0.03 X 1,000,000 you get 35
KHZ (35,000 cycles per second) not 30 MHZ (30,000,000 cycles per
second), and likewise as you move across the bottom of the graph from
number to number... Again, an obvious typo but when they are trying to
do Mil-Spec business, details count...
The thing I cannot judge from the write up is the mechanical
structure... It sounds good from the write up, but you might want to
actually look at one and see if you feel it will hold up mechanically
in the tender hands of a bored recruit... Certainly a smaller parts
count means less chance of missing parts...
All in all, it looks like a good product for your use...

cheers ... denny / k8do

Old December 9th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob is offline

Ask the question he http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1386012861
These are the guys that use them and I remember someone commenting on
this comparison in the past.
Bob

Old December 9th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:29:56 -0500, "Anthony Jocius"
wrote:

Can someone do an educated comparison between these two antennas?
A study at http://www.gordon.army.mil/ac/Winter...02/USMCnet.htm
seems like an ad, instead of a fair comparison.

Hi Tony,

It is a fair comparison using a well known modeler. They cite EZNEC
which is our "gold standard" here for modeling. True, this is an
amateur group, but there are a lot of professionals here, many with
military experience, obtained directly or through contracts. None
would shy from recommending EZNEC for professional work.

Performance-wise the two are a wash. One dB accuracy is exceedingly
difficult to achieve in the field, and all the variables of
installation, terrain, use, what-have-you could easily erase slim
advantages. Of all things to be considered is height and visibility
and even here, both seem to be equivalent. Matching is examined and
taken care of suitably for each's design - again equivalent.

The only difference appears to be that the OE-254 appears to suffer
some loss. How and where, the authors don't seem to be either aware
of it, or go into any explanation. Still, even with this the OE-254
seems to be a performer.

Choose the one with the fewest parts (or simplest design).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC, ET1
Old December 9th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob is offline

I have read the GIs like the smaller size of the COM-201B and often set
them up directly on the ground without a mast. The OE-254 has had some
problems with the center hub breaking when stressed and there are more
parts to it. The 254 cannot be used without a mast.
Bob

Anthony Jocius wrote:
[...]

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 03:03 PM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 07:18 PM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 10:37 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM