Old November 24th 04, 11:10 PM
tommyknocker

Default WARNING Passport on Liypn's AC converter

I found this warning in Passport under the Degen reviews:

------
The Kaito version comes with the proper 120V AC adaptor for North
America, whereas the Degen version comes with a 220V AC adaptor suitable
for most other parts of the world. Both are safe when used "as is", or
with a Franzus or other recognized 120V-to-220V or 220V-to-120V AC
converter. However, according to unconfirmed reports, the Degen version
ordered by Americans from an unofficial eBay vendor in Hong Kong comes
with a 220V-to-120V AC converter that appears to pose a fire hazard.
------

The "unofficial eBay vendor in Hong Kong" can only be Liypn, and the
fire hazard converter is the one he includes with the Degen 1102 and
sells separate for the other Degen models. I pulled out the converter I
was sent, and it is made by "HX" with a model number of "HX-21A", made
in China. If you have one of these "HX" converters, DO NOT USE IT! If
you are buying a Degen that doesn't come with the converter, DO NOT BUY
the converter that Liypn sells! Buy a converter in America, or don't use
the recharging feature on the Degen (Kaito, which comes with the proper
plug, is ok).

Old November 25th 04, 05:28 AM
Lucky

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

I didn't buy my Degen 1103 from him. I bought mine from Brocchi. My adapter
is not a 220v to 110. It's a regular 110v adapter that says "K-Tec" on it.
It came with the radio. I got lucky

Lucky

Old November 25th 04, 08:11 AM
RHF

= = = tommyknocker wrote in message
= = = ...
[...]

TK,

Are we doing a "The Sky Is Falling" here ?

I have two of Liypn's 110VAC to 220VAC Converters that I use with
the 220VAC to DC Adapters for the Tecsun PL-230 and Tecsun Green
138 radios; both use Re-Chargable Batteries.

Both have been plugged in almost continously for Six Months or more.
#1 - The ACAC Converters run 'cool' to the touch.
#2 - The ACDC Adapters run 'a little warm'to the touch.
TBL = NO PROBLEM HERE [.]

However, if you were to try and use these ACAC Converters with
other Electrical/Electronic Devises that 'draw' more current than
they are Designed and Rated For:. You Could {Will} Have A Problem !

now go do the right thing ~ RHF
..
..

#1 - The ACAC Converters run 'cool' to the touch.
#2 - The ACDC Adapters run 'a little warm'to the touch.
TBL = NO PROBLEM HERE [.]

However, if you were to try and use these ACAC Converters with
other Electrical/Electronic Devises that 'draw' more current than
they are Designed and Rated For:. You Could {Will} Have A Problem !

now go do the right thing ~ RHF
..
..

I am only reporting what Passport says in their 2005 edition under each
listing for a Degen radio. Better safe than sorry. I've seen morons
leave curling irons plugged in all day thus burning down their houses.
Not all Chinese electronics are up to American standards. Since I've
never bothered to use the rechargeable batteries that Degen includes
with the radio, thus I have never had a chance to use the recharging
feature on the radio, I don't know how hot the HX brand converter runs.
Like I said, look this up in Passport 2005. I Don't know the reliability
of their sources, but I'd rather not take a chance. BTW, plain old
alkalines work just as well in Degen radios as the rechargeables
supplied by Degen, and even store brand batteries last a long time.

Old November 25th 04, 05:34 PM
0ff_r/-\\/\\\\p

Uh oh! Not UL listed!!?

Better check your homeowners insurance policy!

Old November 25th 04, 06:48 PM
tommyknocker

0ff_r/-\\/\\\\p wrote:

Uh oh! Not UL listed!!?

Better check your homeowners insurance policy!

Actually, it has a "CCC" logo on it, just like the Degen 1102 that came
with it. I suppose that "CCC" is the Chinese version of UL, but I doubt
that CCC's standards are up to UL's standards.

Old November 26th 04, 01:56 AM
m II

tommyknocker wrote:
0ff_r/-\\/\\\\p wrote:

Uh oh! Not UL listed!!?

Better check your homeowners insurance policy!

Actually, it has a "CCC" logo on it, just like the Degen 1102 that came
with it. I suppose that "CCC" is the Chinese version of UL, but I doubt
that CCC's standards are up to UL's standards.

Last time I saw those letters, it was in CCCP. That fell apart too.

mike
Old November 26th 04, 03:40 AM
tommyknocker

m II wrote:

Different language, same ****.

Old November 27th 04, 08:31 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
0ff_r/-\\/\\\\p wrote:

Oh, is that gray market cheapo chino radio FCC type accepted? There goes the
neighborhood!

Consumer grade radio receivers aren't Type Accepted. They're either
Certified, (if they have enough digital guts to require it) or Verified.
The requirements are in Part 15. And I don't think they even have to
file a form for a Verification (it's in the fine print of Part 1 or
2 of the FCC regs), just do the lab tests and put a statement in the
instruction manual or on the equipment sticker.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old November 28th 04, 11:17 AM
Conan Ford

tommyknocker wrote in :

Sony is apparently getting out of the SW radio market COMPLETELY.
They're gradually phasing out all of their SW radios. Most are
available only in Japan now, and in a year or two even those will be
discontinued. (Source: Passport to World Band Radio) As for everybody
else, they're all produced in China. Sangean? China (although they
refuse to label them as such, I don't know who they think they're
fooling). Eton/Grundig? Made by Tecsun in China, which is owned by the
Chinese Communist Party (gasp! commies!). At least the rest openly use
names like "Kchibo" so we have no doubt where they're from. It's
simply cheaper to produce everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) in a
country where people work for 10 cents a day. I'm happy with my "gray
market cheapo chino radio" and only use it for a couple hours a day,
and then not all at once so even the weird 99 minute sleep timer
function doesn't bother me. By the way, I heard on the BBC (received
on my Degen 1102) that China is trying to control the US by buying up
all our Treasury bonds, and they're VERY happy now that the president
you all love so much has turned us into the world's greatest debtor
nation. All they have to do is stop buying our debt and Bush's
deficits will instantly put us all into the poorhouse. Why should
China care, they've got a billion people to sell to, they don't need
America.

I have a Sangean ATS-803a, Made in Taiwan, which is not communist China.
Incidentally, it seems to be of much better quality and operation than
the Degen 1102 and Tecsun PL-550 I have.

On topic with the original post, I had a 220 V - DC adapter with my
PL-550 that I bought from Lipyn which got very hot, smelled like
plastic, and did not work at all. Not the 110 - 220 convertor, but the
225 V adapter that comes with the radio. Sent it back 2 1/2 months ago,
still waiting for a replacement. That's one good reason not to buy from
overseas---the long shipping times.

Also, having seen the shoddy quality inside a Grundig S-350, and the
utter lack of protection for reversed batteries (a diode and a fuse are
all that would be needed), I will never buy a product made by Tecsun
again (and probably Degen too).