Old May 27th 04, 11:11 PM
Patrick Danville

Default Sony 2010--error #3-how do I fix it

Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Subject: Sony 2010--error #3-how do I fix it?

Patrick

Old May 28th 04, 07:48 PM
Joe Analssandrini

With apologies to Larry Magne and the staff at PASSPORT from which
this is plagiarized:

* Tools: needle-nosed pliers, #2 Phillips screwdriver. Optional:
straight ETHYL alcohol, Q-Tip, WHITE (NOT red which will cause
corrosion) eraser.

1) Remove all batteries and AC adapter

2) Remove seven (7) Phillips screws from back panel, where they are
marked by arrows - one in the battery cavity, one in each lower
corner, and four at the top (including three under the antenna shaft
which needs to be angled up).

3) Lift off the back, placing the speaker to the right. Blow out any
dust.

4) Optional: Near the DC jack, where the AC adapter plugs in, is a
small circuit board whioh is marked BATT+. Using the WHITE eraser,
burnish the 10mm solder blob above BATT+. (Make sure eraser is, and
stays, clean.) Blow away eraser dust and wipe blob with a clean cloth.

5) Stretch the AA battery spring SLIGHTLY with needle-nosed pliers. BE
CAREFUL and DO NOT BREAK the plastic base.

6) Hold the back panel, inside facing you, with the antenna mount in
the upper left corner. Near the lower left corner is a stainless-steel
D cell battery tab; it has a pointed tip with a small hole and points
up slightly. Use the pliers to bend that tip to the right about 3 mm.

7) Hold the lowest coil of the D battery spring firmly in place with
your finger and use the pliers to stretch the spring SLIGHTLY.

8) Optional: Dip one end of the Q-Tip into the straight ETHYL alcohol,
wipe off the excess, and then wipe the positive and negative
battery-holder contacts (two springs and two tabs) for the AA and the
D cells. Immediately burnish those same ends with the dry end of the
Q-Tip.

9) Replace the back panel, placing the short screw in the D battery
cavity.

10) Error 3 should be gone. If not, repeat procedure but at step 6
tweak the pointed tip only and additional 1 or 2 mm.

* Time: about 10 or 20 minutes.

The above is out of the 2002 edition of PASSPORT. Hope it helps you.

Joe

(Patrick Danville) wrote in message ...
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

Patrick

Old May 29th 04, 09:00 AM
starman

"Charlie B." wrote:

You may be able to fix it yourself, error 3
indicate power loss to the memory circuit. Remove the batteries and
check the contacts for the AA,s. Replace with fresh ones after
cleaning contacts.
This may be all it needs, if not carefully remove the back and check
where the AA's press to rhw circuit board ,clean the circuit board
solder pad and smooth out wiith a screwdriver blade. I had the same
problem with mine and jost soldered a wire to each end of the AA
holder then to the circuit board leaving enough wire
to be able to remove the cover.
I'm sure KIWA (www.kiwa.com could make the repars needed if that what
you wand

Regards
Chaz

The error-3 problem can occur because one terminal of the AA holder is
not soldered to the PC board with a short wire like the other terminal.
Instead, it uses a point contact like one of the D-cell terminals. The
permanent solution is to bypass the AA point terminal with a short wire
soldered to the terminal and the corresponding pad on the PC board. The
problem is it's not easy to gain access to the solder pad on the board.
I disassembled my '2010' to do this mod' but I think it can be done with
a soldering gun which has a wire tip that can be bent to a right angle.
Even so, you would have to use a small dental mirror to see where you're
soldering under the PC board.

CHEAP SONY 2010 REPAIR Smokey Shortwave 23 March 28th 04 03:48 PM
Sony 2010 help please Rob R. Shortwave 6 February 5th 04 12:45 AM
Opinions pls: Sony 2010 or Sony SW07 Rob R. Shortwave 2 January 2nd 04 01:01 PM
How much should I pay for a new sony 2010? tlin Shortwave 3 November 24th 03 10:01 AM