Old December 8th 05, 02:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Rabinowitz

Default Grounding

Will be using a long wire strung around inside of the house for now when I
get my tabletop. Where the radio will be there are no pipes etc, what is the
best way to ground, can I use the center screw of the electric outlet. Been
using protables now & a set top with a whip built in antenna (RS394).

Old December 8th 05, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:02:01 GMT, "Steve Rabinowitz"
wrote:

Will be using a long wire strung around inside of the house for now when I
get my tabletop. Where the radio will be there are no pipes etc, what is the
best way to ground, can I use the center screw of the electric outlet. Been
using protables now & a set top with a whip built in antenna (RS394).

Only if your mains wiring is in metallic pipe or raceways. Otherwise
I'd run a discrete wire.

Old December 8th 05, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Rabinowitz

Is there any where in the house or must I attch to a metal stake in the
ground. Would rather not run the wire outside,

Old December 8th 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default In-Door Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna - - - No Grounding Required

SR,

Vice using the questionable the Ground {Green Wire} of your
Household AC Power System.

Why not consider a simple Around-the-Room {Ceiling Level}
Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna. The Loop Antenna is consider
a 'blanced' Antenna that does not require a Ground and is
Horizontally Polarized so it generally pick-up less man made noise.

The "In-Door" Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna is easy to build;
usually is relatively long 40-60 Feet for an In-Door Antenna;
and relatively lower noise pick-up to an in-door vertical antenna
or long wire antenna.

The Radio or Receiver can be run off of AC with an AC Ground
connection via the AC Power Plug or DC without any Ground
connection at all.

something to consider - iane ~ RHF
Old December 8th 05, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Steve,

If you run any kind of wire in your house, you probably will not need
any grounding at all. Just to check, however, try the radio without
grounding at first and then try hooking up a ground and see if there is
any improvement or any difference at all. (The ground on your
electrical outlet is fine for this experiment.)

RHF and BPNJensen's posts are also correct. A loop antenna used inside
a house may give better performance than just plain wire run randomly
and loops generally need no grounding.

As a matter of fact, in my personal experience, a loop antenna, indoors
or outdoors, will afford much better reception quality (S/N ratio) than
long wires in areas where there is a great deal of local electrical
interference as loops tend to "reject" such interference.

You might want to try to make (or buy) a loop antenna and mount it in a
window. There are several sources on the web for instructions and a
very good book is Joe Carr's LOOP ANTENNA HANDBOOK.

Do try a good antenna on your Satellit 800. I think you'll be very
pleased.

Best,

Joe

Old December 8th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
SR,

Vice using the questionable the Ground {Green Wire} of your
Household AC Power System.

Why not consider a simple Around-the-Room {Ceiling Level}
Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna. The Loop Antenna is consider
a 'blanced' Antenna that does not require a Ground and is
Horizontally Polarized so it generally pick-up less man made noise.

The "In-Door" Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna is easy to build;
usually is relatively long 40-60 Feet for an In-Door Antenna;
and relatively lower noise pick-up to an in-door vertical antenna
or long wire antenna.

The Radio or Receiver can be run off of AC with an AC Ground
connection via the AC Power Plug or DC without any Ground
connection at all.

something to consider - iane ~ RHF
.
.

RHF,

This is the first time I recall you *not* posting a link to materials/instructions for
building the antenna you recommended in your reply.

It seems like one I've seen you refer to previously, but darned if I can find it in my saved
newsgroup messages.

Old December 9th 05, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The loop will be unbalanced if you don't use a balun. Of course, my
solution is to buy the Wellbrook ALA100.

At 40ft of wire, I find two BCB stations about 20 miles away force my
7030 to switch on the attenuator. I have maybe 10db before the s-meter
is pegged, so I wouldn't go much beyond 60ft if you get the wellbrook.

RHF wrote:
SR,

Vice using the questionable the Ground {Green Wire} of your
Household AC Power System.

Why not consider a simple Around-the-Room {Ceiling Level}
Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna. The Loop Antenna is consider
a 'blanced' Antenna that does not require a Ground and is
Horizontally Polarized so it generally pick-up less man made noise.

The "In-Door" Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna is easy to build;
usually is relatively long 40-60 Feet for an In-Door Antenna;
and relatively lower noise pick-up to an in-door vertical antenna
or long wire antenna.

The Radio or Receiver can be run off of AC with an AC Ground
connection via the AC Power Plug or DC without any Ground
connection at all.

something to consider - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

Old December 9th 05, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

wrote:

Will be using a long wire strung around inside of the house for now when I
get my tabletop. Where the radio will be there are no pipes etc, what is the
best way to ground, can I use the center screw of the electric outlet. Been
using protables now & a set top with a whip built in antenna (RS394).

You probably won't hear any differently with a ground.

And be careful where you attach one: I know a ham who lost his whole
station -- lightning hit and came up through the ground wire and fried
his equipment.

Unless you can hear a difference, I wouldn't bother.

Bob
k5qwg

Old December 9th 05, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Rabinowitz

I guess the old way of attaching a wire to the screw that holds the face
plate of the electric outlet won't be any good then. I could have swore my
father years ago used that for grounding.
"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:44:30 GMT, "Steve Rabinowitz"
wrote:

Is there any where in the house or must I attch to a metal stake in the
ground. Would rather not run the wire outside,
. ..
wrote:

Will be using a long wire strung around inside of the house for now when
get my tabletop. Where the radio will be there are no pipes etc, what is
the
best way to ground, can I use the center screw of the electric outlet.
Been
using protables now & a set top with a whip built in antenna (RS394).

Only if your mains wiring is in metallic pipe or raceways. Otherwise
I'd run a discrete wire.

A fuse or breaker box that is ''served'' by metal conduit or raceway,
or a metal (for sure) cold water pipe that has metallic continuity
(for sure) into the ground.

Old December 9th 05, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
w_tom

Protecting the antenna means providing lightning with an
alternative path to earth. Your building does that just fine.
But be better advised to earth using a lightning rod located
above the roof.

Safety ground system and earthing system share many
components. Different systems for different purposes with
some common parts. AC wall receptacle is not an earth
ground. An antenna is earthed so that lightning will not take
a more destructive path via the receiver. Ac receptacle
ground means lightning would spread out inside the building to
damage other electronics.

Connect things to the wall receptacle grounded screw to
protect human life. This is not same as earthing lightning.
To earth lightning, install Ben Franklin's well proven
solution above the roof. Earth incoming transients on utility
wires using either 'whole house' protector or a ground block -
all connected to a common earth ground that remains outside
the building.

Steve Rabinowitz wrote:
I guess the old way of attaching a wire to the screw that holds
the face plate of the electric outlet won't be any good then. I
could have swore my father years ago used that for grounding.

Another question regarding single point grounding Larry Rappaport Antenna 3 April 25th 05 02:57 AM
Grounding the Home (PC) Computer's Frame and Power Supply ? ? ? RHF Shortwave 0 January 13th 05 11:38 AM
Station Grounding ku4yp Antenna 32 September 10th 04 04:18 PM
Antenna mast grounding question Mike Ekholm Antenna 25 December 5th 03 08:26 AM
Grounding Birderman Shortwave 7 September 6th 03 10:40 PM