Old March 13th 04, 03:00 PM
KC1DI

Default 30 Meter antennas

Just curious as to what most of you are using as an antenna on
the 30 Meter band?

I've used many and was just wondering if i could improve my overall DX
performance with something other than a Dipole. With out going to the
expense of a Beam.

73 Dave

Old March 13th 04, 03:26 PM
Reg Edwards

Just curious as to what most of you are using as an antenna on
the 30 Meter band?

I've used many and was just wondering if i could improve my overall DX
performance with something other than a Dipole. With out going to the
expense of a Beam.

Without going to the expense of a reflector or a director, probably not
rotateable, there's only a vertical to try. But I'm sure a vertical will
make a big difference - either for better or worse.
---
Reg.

Old March 13th 04, 06:02 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"KC1DI" wrote in message
Just curious as to what most of you are using as an antenna on
the 30 Meter band?

I've used many and was just wondering if i could improve my overall DX
performance with something other than a Dipole. With out going to the
expense of a Beam.

73 Dave

I have used a variety of antennas on 30. At present I am using my 40m,
vertical loop, fed with 450 ohm line.

I also have a ladder line fed center fed, total length of 140' that I use
on AF MARS. Also does a good job.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 13th 04, 10:21 PM
WM2F

Im running a multiband dipole for 40 and 30 meters at 50 feet. I get
great results and when the band is open get good DX results. I also
have a homebrew vertical GP that has limited results. When switching
between the 2 antenna's the dipole always receives better.
I think the height of the dipole and whether it is cut for
resonances is a big factor. I dont use a tuner for 40 or 30 meters.
Also I have a 1:1 Van Gordon High Q Balun at the feed point. My coax
run is about 60 feet.
This is a tough time to evaulate antenna's. Band condx's are so poor
that we tend to blame our equipment. A few nights ago from New
Jersey, I was getting solid contacts to Europe and South America then
the band closed.

Best 73's
Mike
WM2F
Old March 14th 04, 05:04 PM
Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)

Dave,

I have a full-wave horizontal loop on 30m and a multi-band vertical for 40 -
10 (1/4 wave on 30m). The vertical is 10 feet off the ground, the loop is at
40 feet. For "local" stuff (within several hundred miles) the loop is
better. For DX, the vertical beats the loop every time.

Try a 1/4 wave ground plane and see how it works.

-larry
K8UT

Old March 14th 04, 05:19 PM
Jim Leder

I have been using what I call my '$8.48 Home Depot Vertical'. That's what
the parts cost and it gives me both 40 and 30. It's a simple wire 1/4 wave
vertical for each band separated be PVC spreaders and it hangs from a tree
to a ground rod at the bottom. I have 8 16 foot radials around it (more in
the spring when the ground isn't frozen, probably up to 16). It has been
very effective on 30, better than the dipole I used prior to it. Performance
on 40 is OK. I am thinking of adding a 20 meter section. I have no problem
working DX with it on 30 or 40. Best thing I've tried on 30 so far.

Old March 14th 04, 07:29 PM
Cecil Moore

KC1DI wrote:
Just curious as to what most of you are using as an antenna on
the 30 Meter band?

My 130 ft. center-fed dipole has an interesting pattern on 30m. It's
main lobes are broadside with a gain of 9 dBi, a TOA of 34 deg, and
a horizontal beamwidth of 33 deg. Off the ends, the gain is 3 dBi
with a horizontal beamwidth of 60 deg. In other words, it has gain
over a ground mounted quarter-wave monopole in 4 directions for more
than 180 degrees of the horizontal.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 14th 04, 07:59 PM
Cecil Moore

KC1DI wrote:
Just curious as to what most of you are using as an antenna on
the 30 Meter band?

Actually, my all time favorite antenna is a 40m loop closely coupled
for supergain. It has 20 dBi gain for 200 degrees of the horizontal.
It would make my 100 watt transceiver sound like about 10 kilowatts
and could be scaled for 30m but watch out for complaints that you are
running illegal power. The EZNEC file can be downloaded from my web
page below. (TIC disclaimer)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/SUPRGAIN.EZ

Old March 15th 04, 12:41 AM
Old Ed

30m should certainly be well within the range of the "universal"
dipole design.

Presumably the gain/beamwidth numbers you quote come out of
a model. For completeness, what does the model say the average
gain is in the OTHER 180 degrees (the nulls)?

73, Ed

Old March 15th 04, 03:26 AM
Cecil Moore

Old Ed wrote:

30m should certainly be well within the range of the "universal"
dipole design.

Presumably the gain/beamwidth numbers you quote come out of
a model. For completeness, what does the model say the average
gain is in the OTHER 180 degrees (the nulls)?

60 degrees of the horizontal coverage falls below the typical
1/4WL ground-mounted monopole - not a bad tradeoff, IMO.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp