Old December 4th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 6L6 substitute

After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitue for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jimmie
Old December 4th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitute for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jimmie

An 807 IS a 6L6 with a top cap anode connection. Any of the TV line
output valves will also do the job if you want cheap, the 6DQ6B works
well and has an octal base (The sockets for the 807 are rare).
6146 or 2e26 etc work well but will cost you more.

Steve H
Old December 4th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:56:27 +0000, Stev eH
StevehkhhSDJvhvbjjxbvvbhnvbhzjdnxzvzhzdshbvnjzvnb vnvjbvbcjbvvvvnmxvzjhjzsdgfgsfghgjsghgsljhglhdjfgh fufgfhzysgfhczgugfvzlvufzvllgfzlyfyvlgbylvdfghvbly
wrote:

The sockets for the 807 are rare

The 807 uses a readily available 5 contact socket. The 1625 (12V
equivalent) uses a 7 contact socket which can be difficult to locate.

73 de n4jvp
Old December 4th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:

After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitue for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jimmie

I'd go for a PL509 sweep output tube. I've had a kilowatt out of four of
them!

Bob
Old December 4th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

The sockets for the 807 are rare

The 807 uses a readily available 5 contact socket. The 1625 (12V
equivalent) uses a 7 contact socket which can be difficult to locate.

73 de n4jvp

I'm in the UK and haven't been able to find any at the local hamfests,
where can I get them from? Octal sockets are readily available over here.

Steve H

Old December 4th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bob wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitue for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jimmie

I'd go for a PL509 sweep output tube. I've had a kilowatt out of four of
them!

Bob

My first amp had 3 PL519s with a lethal power supply using a voltage
tripper direct off the 240V mains, heaters were direct off mains via a
1n5406 diode. It's still up in the parents loft somewhere, must dig it
out over the holidays and give it a try....

Steve H
Old December 5th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Howdy,

When you get bored of big jugs with nipples on the top, you
might try a 6T9 compactron. It's very nice for a small transmitter.
You get a high mu triode and beam power pentode in one package.
I think the pentode is good for 12W.

I'd probably use a 1625 since they're cheap from Fair Radio
and sockets... we don't need no stinking sockets!

73,
Grumpy

JIMMIE wrote in news:9dcff61e-91dd-4b57-8572-
:

Old December 5th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:24:37 +0000, Stev eH

wrote:

The sockets for the 807 are rare

The 807 uses a readily available 5 contact socket. The 1625 (12V
equivalent) uses a 7 contact socket which can be difficult to locate.

73 de n4jvp

I'm in the UK and haven't been able to find any at the local hamfests,
where can I get them from? Octal sockets are readily available over here.

Hmm, I'm surprised you haven't come across any at boot sales. I'm of
no help when it comes to vendors in the UK. You might try your
favorite search engine. The first page of this search links to several
vendors including one in AU.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ocket&aq=f&oq=
eBay is another possibility.

73 de n4jvp
Old December 5th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 06:23:48 -0800 (PST)
From: JIMMIE
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Subject: 6L6 substitute

After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitue for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other.

Maybe you should look at how you bypassed the screen grid to ground with a
capacitor. Once I built a 6146 pentode, grounded-cathode amplifier for 160
meters and was disappointed that it went into self-oscillation. After
thinking about it, and then the light bulb over my head went off, I looked
and realized I did not have the screen grid bypassed to ground (what, 0.01
mfd or so?), and when I soldered one in, all of my self oscilation
stopped. You should not have to worry about neutralization if you are
anywhere in the HF bands (or, at the worst, maybe on ten meters).

I've built several 6AQ5, 6V6, etc., one tube, xtal-controlled
CW transmitters. All worked fine.

I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

You might also want to check the connections to the control grid. If for
some reason you have a -- for example -- cold solder joint and the control
grid is actually floating, then it will oscillate all by itself, too.

Jimmie

Old December 5th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 19:30:30 -0500
From: Registered User
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

The sockets for the 807 are rare

The 807 uses a readily available 5 contact socket. The 1625 (12V
equivalent) uses a 7 contact socket which can be difficult to locate.

73 de n4jvp

I'm in the UK and haven't been able to find any at the local hamfests,
where can I get them from? Octal sockets are readily available over here.

Hmm, I'm surprised you haven't come across any at boot sales. I'm of
no help when it comes to vendors in the UK. You might try your
favorite search engine. The first page of this search links to several
vendors including one in AU.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ocket&aq=f&oq=
eBay is another possibility.

73 de n4jvp

Might try Fair Radio Sales, in Lima Ohio (USA). I think www.fairradio.com,
and they do (most of the time) answer email. They have stuff that is not
in the catalog, too.