Old December 30th 03, 06:12 PM
Mike Terry

Default Ireland, Denmark and Norway leaving shortwave

New year 2004 marks the end of shortwave transmissions by public
broadcasters in three European countries. Radio Telefis Éireann (RTÉ) in
Ireland, Norsk Rikskringkasting (NRK) in Norway, and the Danish Danmarks
Radio (DR) are closing their shortwave services on December 31, 2003. Aiming
to cut costs and saying that shortwave is history, the stations are urging
their listeners to continue to tune in via satellite or on the internet.

Radio Telefis Éireann (RTÉ) has announced that it will end its daily
half-hour shortwave broadcasts on January 1, 2004. According to a press
release from RTÉ, this is the "first step in the re-alignment of its
distribution platforms, both at home and abroad." RTE will increase its
transmissions over the World Radio Network (WRN) and will provide, free of
charge, a Worldspace satellite receiver to some of its isolated listeners in
Africa. RTÉ began shortwave transmissions in 1995 and has been buying
airtime from outside Ireland.

In Denmark, Radio Denmark (Danmarks Radio) declares that "an era in
radio's history is over." The foreign service, Radio Denmark, has been
broadcasting in Danish via Norway's shortwave transmitters. Denmark closed
its own shortwave site in Herstedvester already in 1990. Programs will
continue to be available abroad on mediumwave, internet, telephone, CD
recordings and telephone.

Norway's public broadcaster Norsk Rikskringkasting (NRK) will air its
last shortwave transmission on December 31 after broadcasting to the world
for 55 years. "Shortwave is a big and important part of NRK's history. At
the same time you have to be realistic. Shortwave transmissions are not the
future," says NRK's distribution chief Petter Hox on the station website.
Programs are now offered via mediumwave, satellite, internet and telephone.

Also in Europe, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is ending
broadcasts in seven languages. Services broadcasting to Estonia, Latvia,
Lithuania, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia will close on December
31, 2003, under a directive from the White House and the Broadcasting Board
of Governors (BBG), RFE/RL's oversight body.

(DXing.info, December 25, 2003)

http://www.dxing.info/news/index.dx#shortwave

Old December 30th 03, 06:27 PM
N8KDV

As far as I'm concerned, Denmark left short-wave broadcasting when they ceased
to have broadcasts originating from transmitters on their own territory.

Come to think of it, none of those RTE broadcasts originated from transmitters
on Irish soil either did they?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old December 30th 03, 07:18 PM
Maximus

Too bad they want to relinquish their voice and their point of view to the
world. If propogation has been losuy, how will it improve if flares burn out
a satellite ? It will prove more expensive to provide satellite setups than
it ever would to just transmit on shortwave IMHO.

Old January 2nd 04, 11:59 PM
saki

N8KDV wrote in
:

As far as I'm concerned, Denmark left short-wave broadcasting when
they ceased to have broadcasts originating from transmitters on their
own territory.

Come to think of it, none of those RTE broadcasts originated from
transmitters on Irish soil either did they?

Having come back to shortwave listening a year ago (and glad of it), I
find it a bit perplexing to juggle mentally not only the station I'm
receiving but where its transmitter is located. It may not be standard
but my approach has been to consider both elements---ID as well as
locale---in my log book. I agree that it certainly feels like a more
authentic catch when the country and transmitter origin are the same, but
I'm not terribly fussy about it.

I'll miss Denmark. I listened to the final evening's broadcast for both
Norway and Denmark and must admit that I feel their absence. I was
particularly fond of R. Denmark's interval signal; it seemed like such a
cheery way to start an evening of dxing. I'd even considered learning
Danish to more fully enjoy the broadcasts. Ah, well; I've decided to do
Dutch instead (on the theory that R. Netherlands will stick around for
awhile).

My log book is the same one I used twenty-five years ago and there are
lots of ghosts in it: Tahiti, RSA, Voice of the Malayan
Revolution...ironic, I suppose, that my setup is more sophisticated now
than it was back then and there's less to hear. But I suppose it's best
to go out and look for new favorites with which to start the evening....

----

R-75/FRG-7700/SW-4A