Old May 2nd 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Steveo

Default Varmint XL-1000

"U-Know-Who" wrote:
Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time
Johnny Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

Loud too..I remember it.

flashbacks

http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/rigs/Varmit-XL-1000.jpg
Old May 2nd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
U-Know-Who

Old May 2nd 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
U-Know-Who

"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time
Johnny Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

Loud too..I remember it.

Yes they were, they had a "SuperMod" circuit that really boosted the mod at
the expense of deadkey. Actually, it was probably the best way to drive the
damn thing.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Steveo

"U-Know-Who" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time
Johnny Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

Loud too..I remember it.

Yes they were, they had a "SuperMod" circuit that really boosted the mod
at the expense of deadkey. Actually, it was probably the best way to
drive the damn thing.

That and a Mark III would make ya famous back in the day!

Old May 2nd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Telstar Electronics

Yep... swing... it's all good.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old May 2nd 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dr.Death

"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time
Johnny Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

Loud too..I remember it.

Yes they were, they had a "SuperMod" circuit that really boosted the mod
at the expense of deadkey. Actually, it was probably the best way to
drive the damn thing.

That and a Mark III would make ya famous back in the day!

flashbacks

http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/rigs/Varmit-XL-1000.jpg

I had a Varmit 450xl hooked to my 148. It was the ****. I later traded the
Varmit for an HR2510 and bought a 10 tube phantom. I still have the 148 as I
truly love this radio. I recently found some decent covers and knobs for the
148, but I still need a new faceplate as I have most of the lettering worn
off from about 18 years of use.

Old May 2nd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Steveo

"Dr.Death" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time
Johnny Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

Loud too..I remember it.

Yes they were, they had a "SuperMod" circuit that really boosted the
mod at the expense of deadkey. Actually, it was probably the best way
to drive the damn thing.

That and a Mark III would make ya famous back in the day!

flashbacks

http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/rigs/Varmit-XL-1000.jpg

I had a Varmit 450xl hooked to my 148. It was the ****. I later traded
the Varmit for an HR2510 and bought a 10 tube phantom. I still have the
148 as I truly love this radio. I recently found some decent covers and
knobs for the 148, but I still need a new faceplate as I have most of the
lettering worn off from about 18 years of use.

That radio would still be a favorite if it were available, eh? I have an
old eagle 515 kenrich tube amp that hasn't been plugged in for about 8 or
10 years. It probably needs some caps by now..
Old May 2nd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dr.Death

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dr.Death" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
[...]

I'd love to have a new one. It's a shame that they had change them. In my
opinion it was one of the best ssb radios ever made (by CB standards).
Ever seen caps blow? Makes a hell of a mess. LOL

Old May 2nd 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Steveo

"Dr.Death" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dr.Death" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"U-Know-Who" wrote:
[...]

Prolly bring it up on my Buddy's variac if I ever get the urge to fire it
again. One of my friends has a standing offer to buy it and the Mark IV if
I ever decide to part with it. The amp has the same veneer that the
Browning Eagle has on it.

I hate to part with the nostalgia, and they will likely need serviced
before being put back in operation.
Old May 3rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S.

On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:29:27 GMT, "U-Know-Who" wrote:

Anyone have one of these splatterboxes? I owned one and at one time Johnny
Carson and I were competing for the same TV channel.

Nasty little sweep boxes they were!

They still show up on ebay. Still get good money.

Vinnie S.

Varmint XL 1000 N8WWM CB 7 December 12th 11 07:57 PM
MINT FT 1000 for sale $ 1720 Josh Swap 0 November 20th 05 09:57 AM
VT Communications B'04 Mike Terry Shortwave 1 October 12th 04 07:14 PM
Issues with old Royal 1000 Bill Shortwave 1 October 1st 03 12:32 AM
WTB:Motorola MT or HT 1000 LowBand Portbl Radio E N T 001 Swap 0 August 13th 03 07:12 AM