Old December 11th 03, 11:26 PM
Martin Ewing

Default ic746pro: reliable enough to buy?

Hello,

I am doing market research for a new HF rig, and the Icom IC-746pro
would be a leading choice, but I'm worried about the "no transmit" and
other problems discussed at length on the web.

Of course, you take your chances whenever you get a new high-tech toy.
My question is how does the '746pro stack up against the competition in
terms of actual failure rate and reliability? This is something the
manufacturers are keenly aware of from their warranty data, but they
probably aren't going to share it with us. :-(

Most of us don't see enough different examples of enough types of rigs
to have first-hand data, and anecdotes on the net are hard to calibrate.
Given the bad press on the '746pro, I am pretty leery now, but if it's
really only a small percentage of units that are affected, I might
reconsider.

How would you decide?

73, Martin, AA6E