Old October 14th 04, 01:19 AM
SR

Default Which Tube Radio, not only Which Radio Tube

I had been listening to Short-wave for almost 10 years. I have both
digital & transistor modest radios. But no tube radio. (Yet)!

What I mean by Which Tube Radio:

If I bought myself an old used Tube Radio, I would exspect some of the
tubes will eventually burn out, and I would have to replace the tubes in
order for the radio to work.

So, that I could have a radio that I could always find the right tube,
means that I would have to buy a radio that it's tubes are still being
made by a company.

I do not think that I would want to get a radio that I can not replace
it's tubes.

So, which brands or models should I look out for?

And when did they stop making tube radio? (Dah) And why do they still
make tubes if they do not make radios for them?

Do they make all of the tubes?

As a newbie in tubes learn more about tubes?

73
Old October 14th 04, 06:12 AM
Sir Cumference

SR wrote:

I had been listening to Short-wave for almost 10 years. I have both
digital & transistor modest radios. But no tube radio. (Yet)!

What I mean by Which Tube Radio:

If I bought myself an old used Tube Radio, I would exspect some of the
tubes will eventually burn out, and I would have to replace the tubes in
order for the radio to work.

So, that I could have a radio that I could always find the right tube,
means that I would have to buy a radio that it's tubes are still being
made by a company.

There aren't any companies making the tubes anymore that you will find
in a tube radio.

I do not think that I would want to get a radio that I can not replace
it's tubes.

In reference to my comment above, there is a large inventory of tubes
still available and many sources to purchase from.

So, which brands or models should I look out for?

Look for the general coverage communications type of receivers, brands
such as Hallicrafters, Lafayette, National, Hammurlund (sp?), Heathkit,
Collins (pricey), RME, Drake, ect.

And when did they stop making tube radio? (Dah) And why do they still
make tubes if they do not make radios for them?

When transistors were developed that could operate at high frequencies,
late 1960s early 1970s everything started to go solid state.

Do they make all of the tubes?

No.

As a newbie in tubes learn more about tubes?

Pick up an earlier edition of the ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs.

Old October 14th 04, 09:24 AM
Radioman390

What I mean by Which Tube Radio:

If I bought myself an old used Tube Radio, I would exspect some of the
tubes will eventually burn out, and I would have to replace the tubes in
order for the radio to work.

So, that I could have a radio that I could always find the right tube,
means that I would have to buy a radio that it's tubes are still being
made by a company.

I do not think that I would want to get a radio that I can not replace
it's tubes.

Based on your concerns, I suggest that you should NOT buy a tube radio. Tube
radios are like antique cars, they require a certain attitude.

Old October 14th 04, 11:26 AM
Jim Douglas

I was surprised how easy it was to get new tubes for my old radio. Now
that's not to say if you get some off brand radio that it would be easy, but
I am thinking that if you stay with one of the older classics,
Hallicrafters, etc you should be able to get the radio and a few spare
tubes.

Old October 14th 04, 04:29 PM
Frank Dresser

"SR" wrote in message
I had been listening to Short-wave for almost 10 years. I have both
digital & transistor modest radios. But no tube radio. (Yet)!

What I mean by Which Tube Radio:

If I bought myself an old used Tube Radio, I would exspect some of the
tubes will eventually burn out, and I would have to replace the tubes in
order for the radio to work.

Tubes don't last forever. However, they can easily last for decades in
normal use. Tubes don't usually fail by burning out. They usually get
weaker, or they can short internally.

The capacitors in old radios are a far bigger problem than the tubes. Old
capacitors were little more than rolled paper and foil, and the paper
deteriorates over the years. New capacitors which use plastic instead of
paper are inexpensive and quite reliable, but capacitors are soldered in
place.

So, that I could have a radio that I could always find the right tube,
means that I would have to buy a radio that it's tubes are still being
made by a company.

Most radio tubes are easy to find and still inexpensive. Radio
manufacturers used what ever tubes were commonly available at the time of
production. For example, back in the 1940s, nearly every US company used
the 6SK7 or 12SK7 in each of their radios. These tubes were produced in the
millions through the 1960s. There are still many unused tubes left from
that huge production. There are still plenty of good used tubes around. I
have many fifty year old, and older tubes which still work well.

I do not think that I would want to get a radio that I can not replace
it's tubes.

Tubes are a minor problem with tube radios. The old capacitors and the
resistors are less reliable than the tubes. The old capacitors are best
replaced without question, and the resistors should be checked with an
ohmmeter, and replaced if they are out of specification.

So, which brands or models should I look out for?

Almost all old tube radios use tubes which were common to that era. It's
not like different companies had special tubes for their radios. GE, RCA,
Hallicrafters, just about anybody used the same type tubes and they all have
the same tube numbers. Tube numbers are a bit like tire sizes. Ford,
General Motors and Chrysler all use the same kind of tires. And tires have
standardized numbers which describe the tire but not which car it's for.

Old European radios might use tubes which are uncommon in the US.

And when did they stop making tube radio?

Tubes disappeared from portable radios in the fifties, from inexpensive
table radios in the mid 60s, and from SW radios in the late 60s.

(Dah) And why do they still
make tubes if they do not make radios for them?

Most new production tubes are used for high fi and guitar amps.

Do they make all of the tubes?

No. They haven't since the days of the Audion. There have always been
obselete tube numbers. Almost all the common radio tubes are out of
production. It doesn't matter. There is a large supply of most numbers,
and all but a few are inexpensive.

But the soldered in capacitors are a far bigger problem than the tubes.

As a newbie in tubes learn more about tubes?

73

http://antiqueradio.org/

Frank Dresser

Old October 15th 04, 07:15 PM
SR

Radioman390 wrote:

What I mean by Which Tube Radio:

If I bought myself an old used Tube Radio, I would exspect some of the
tubes will eventually burn out, and I would have to replace the tubes in
order for the radio to work.

So, that I could have a radio that I could always find the right tube,
means that I would have to buy a radio that it's tubes are still being
made by a company.

I do not think that I would want to get a radio that I can not replace
it's tubes.

Based on your concerns, I suggest that you should NOT buy a tube radio. Tube
radios are like antique cars, they require a certain attitude.

Being able to collect an antique is great & what is greater is
collecting a working one.
Old October 19th 04, 08:44 AM
Kachina 78

Believe it or not, you can still get NOS (New Old Stock) tubes through Radio
Shack. I recently bought a backup set of tubes for my R.L. Drake SW-4A, which I
purchased new in 1975. I gave the list to the salesperson at Radio Shack, and
they called me in two weeks, with the complete list ready for pickup. They all
came in Realistic tube boxes, and appeared to be new. Funny thing is, I have
never replaced a tube in this receiver, and it still performs like the day I
bought it! Now that says something about well built old tube receivers. Good
DXing to you, Gary
Old October 23rd 04, 06:23 AM
starman

Kachina 78 wrote:

Believe it or not, you can still get NOS (New Old Stock) tubes through Radio
Shack. I recently bought a backup set of tubes for my R.L. Drake SW-4A, which I
purchased new in 1975. I gave the list to the salesperson at Radio Shack, and
they called me in two weeks, with the complete list ready for pickup. They all
came in Realistic tube boxes, and appeared to be new. Funny thing is, I have
never replaced a tube in this receiver, and it still performs like the day I
bought it! Now that says something about well built old tube receivers. Good
DXing to you, Gary

Realistic 'Gold' tubes used have a lifetime warranty but I doubt if RS
will honor it now.

Old October 24th 04, 01:30 PM
AComarow

Believe it or not, you can still get NOS (New Old Stock) tubes through
Radio
Shack. I recently bought a backup set of tubes for my R.L. Drake SW-4A,

which I
purchased new in 1975. I gave the list to the salesperson at Radio Shack,

and
they called me in two weeks, with the complete list ready for pickup. They

all
came in Realistic tube boxes, and appeared to be new. Funny thing is, I

have
never replaced a tube in this receiver, and it still performs like the day

bought it! Now that says something about well built old tube receivers.

Good
DXing to you, Gary

Gary, I'm curious about the price you paid for those tubes--not the literal
amount, but whether you checked RS against Antique Electronic Supply or any of
the many online suppliers of NOS tubes. RS was never known for bargains on
tubes (or anything else).

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.