Old November 14th 04, 07:00 PM
ulTRAX

Default are the GRUNDIG YB550 / TECSUN PL230 dual conversion?

The review at radiointel says: "The radio comes with one PL-230 PLL
dual conversion receiver. (I emailed the seller, who said he believed
it to be dual conversion, so if it is single I apologize.)"

So I downloaded the YB550 owners manual. It doesn't say whether it is
dual
conversion... and the address they gave to write for additional info
was not active.

So I'm assuming that if the YB550/PL230 were dual conversion, they'd
have mentioned it and there would not be so much confusion. Yet
there's plenty of cleaper radios that are.

Does anyone know for sure? Do you have a link? Is dual conversion so
common that it's not even listed as a feature anymore?
Old November 14th 04, 10:55 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
ulTRAX wrote:
The review at radiointel says: "The radio comes with one PL-230 PLL
dual conversion receiver. (I emailed the seller, who said he believed
it to be dual conversion, so if it is single I apologize.)"

So I downloaded the YB550 owners manual. It doesn't say whether it is
dual
conversion... and the address they gave to write for additional info
was not active.

So I'm assuming that if the YB550/PL230 were dual conversion, they'd
have mentioned it and there would not be so much confusion. Yet
there's plenty of cleaper radios that are.

Does anyone know for sure? Do you have a link? Is dual conversion so
common that it's not even listed as a feature anymore?

I have not seen anything definitive on this, but the "net wisdom" is that
these radios are single-conversion. When it's dual-conversion the
manufacturer or distributor usually make a big deal of it. The last small
digital dual-conversion radio from Tecsun was the PL-707A, which Grundig
sold as one of the e-Traveller models; among other rebranders.

Old November 14th 04, 10:57 PM
Sanjaya

"Mike S." wrote in message ...

In article ,
ulTRAX wrote:
[...]

I once wrote to Etoncorp and asked. They e-mailed back that the YB550PE
is single conversion.

Old November 15th 04, 07:03 AM
Knowledge

My YB400 PE , on the front of the radio says:

LW/MW/SW/FM STEREO PLL SYNTHESIZED DUAL CONVERSION

So I guess I got a souped up version. :-)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:57:08 GMT, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

Old November 16th 04, 04:43 AM
0ff_Ramp

Too bad. I was getting ready to order the black Tecsun version.

Back to the drawing boards.

What's so special about a 550? Grundig?

Old November 16th 04, 04:57 AM
Michael Black

"0ff_Ramp" ) writes:
Too bad. I was getting ready to order the black Tecsun version.

Back to the drawing boards.

What's so special about a 550? Grundig?

Well if it was double-conversion one might expect better performance
(though it's no guarantee since it could be a badly designed double-conversion
receiver).

The sad part is that a lot of the low end single conversion receivers aren't
radically different from low end single conversion receivers from thirty
years ago or from 50 years ago, with the big difference being solid stage
and synthesized tuning. If they used a design where the IF was
higher in frequency, they could get rid of much of the image problems
without losing IF selectivity.

Michael

Old November 17th 04, 03:48 AM
0ff_r/-\\Mp

If all you are looking for is an inexpensive portable of dual conversion
design without SSB look at the Sony SW-35.
I recently bought one for use while doing chores around the house or
listening while I shave :-) It replaced an analog Tecsun 9700 which is dual
conversion but was completely deaf. It was cheaply built and the tuning
dial mechanism broke within 1 year - JUNK!

I didn't expect much when I bought the SW-35 but I find myself scanning the
bands with it almost every evening.
It has surprisingly good performance and is easy to use and master which,
IMO, places it on top of the budget end of portable SW receivers.

Old November 18th 04, 06:03 AM
ulTRAX

"0ff_Ramp" wrote in message ...
Too bad. I was getting ready to order the black Tecsun version.

Back to the drawing boards.

What's so special about a 550? Grundig?

I have plenty of SWs. I was just looking to replace an old AM/FM alarm
radio and assumed a SW would do better at eliminating interference
from a local AM station. But I'm not interested if it's not dual
conversion. Why this model? It was the right size, had some good
features for the price ($45 $+20 eBay) and it had a SNOOZE!
Old November 20th 04, 03:43 AM
0ff_r/-\\Mp

What's so special about a 550? Grundig?

I have plenty of SWs. I was just looking to replace an old AM/FM alarm
radio and assumed a SW would do better at eliminating interference
from a local AM station. But I'm not interested if it's not dual
conversion. Why this model? It was the right size, had some good
features for the price ($45 $+20 eBay) and it had a SNOOZE!

I use a Sony SW-35 around the house. It is dual conversion, about $85 and
it has a sleep (countdown to off) timer.
It has surprisingly good performance. Probably the best in its class. The
scanning function works very well. I don't miss the analog dial at all. It
has 50 memories divided into 5 banks of 10. Plus a couple of timers which I
have yet to use. Besides, it's a Sony.

Tecsun PL-230 (Grundig YB-550) Review (NEW RADIO) Judah Smith Shortwave 10 October 7th 05 02:32 PM
GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 10:37 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 01:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 01:23 PM
GE Superadio III earphone difficulty - and what is OHM rating Ronald Shortwave 49 January 22nd 04 08:04 PM