Old January 29th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
on4ahf

Default Homemade coils for using an MFJ analyzer as a dip meter?

The wire type in the table is CuL and CuAg. Obviously CuL some sort of
copper wire, with the CuAg, being copper and silver (silver plated
copper?).

--------------lacquer-isolated copper wire (CuL), ------------
----------------copper-silver (CuAg), -------------

What exactly is CuL wire? Is it critical that I use it what ever it is?
Can I use plastic covered copper wire?

----------no--------------

For the high freqency coils I can easily get 2.0mm stiff copper
wire for use in electrical conduit. It comes with some sort of insulation,
probably PVC. Can I use it, and if I do, should I remove the insulation?

--------------Yes---------------

Old January 29th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David J Windisch

Geoff and all:
The 'dip' function is simply a 2- or 3-to-1 series-connected mismatch with a
capacitor, resistor, and coil to couple to the device-under-test. The dut
makes the meter wiggle by absorbing a bit of power, for a visible indication
of 'resonance'. That's all, afaik.
73, Dave, N3HE

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
I have an MFJ modle 249 (the original with a meter) antenna analyzer. MFJ
sells a kit of two coils to make it into a dip meter.

I would like to use it to measure the resonant fequency of a traps I
am building, but am unable to purchase the coils.

Is there a way to make then on your own?

TIA,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice:
1-215-821-1838
Vist my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

SWR - wtf? john d CB 136 July 2nd 05 08:31 PM
SWR - wtf? Roy Lewallen Antenna 110 July 1st 05 05:30 AM
Coils or specifications needed for Heathkit GD-1B Grid Dip Meter. Bob Equipment 9 August 15th 04 02:42 PM
Coils or specifications needed for Heathkit GD-1B Grid Dip Meter. Bob Equipment 0 August 12th 04 08:36 AM
Coils or specifications needed for Heathkit GD-1B Grid Dip Meter. Bob Equipment 0 August 12th 04 08:36 AM