Old July 29th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Yaesu FT-991 AM transmission defective

In article ,
wrote:

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 7:09:51 PM UTC-5, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
wa7kgx wrote:

Yaesu have posted firmware updates to the FT-991 as well as the CAT
codes.

I updated my FT-991 yesterday and spent most of today re-entering
channel data lost in the reset.

There are two separate updates, one called "Main" and one called "DSP".
Each has its own updater program. The Main update went smoothly but the
DSP updater needed some help.

It seems that Yaesu's "enhanced" USB driver installed as COM14 on my
computer, but the DSP updater can only handle COM ports 1 through 10.
It took some research to learn how to change COM14 to COM1. After
making that change, the DSP update went smoothly.

I do not know what all was changed, but did notice that the AM mode is
working differently. Instead of kicking downward during modulation, the
Po meter barely wiggles. It does kick downward slightly with the
microphone gain turned up high. I hear some distortion on a local
receiver, but it may be due to overload. Looking at a PEP wattmeter, I
would guess that modulation percentage might be around 70 or 80 percent.
A scope might tell a different story.

73,
Fred
K4DII

hey dave on am do you know what the power output should be mine only does 20
watts on am

W2MGF and Philip-

The above is either a mis-quote or a mis-statement on my part. I do not
recall posting that the FT-991 AM modulation was that high. I think it
is around 10 percent at most, but my Icom radio has 70 or 80 percent AM
modulation by comparison.

Philip's link to W8JI's AM report seems to describe the FT-991's AM
operation exactly. The problem with his solution is that the FT-991
does not allow you to run the AM power level up beyond about 40 Watts,
so applying a DC level to the ALC terminal would not buy you much. You
could try setting the power level to its maximum and use the ALC to
reduce power to a quarter of that. You might then have a rather low
power but well modulated AM signal!

I recently updated the FT-991 firmware to the July 24, 2015, version.
The update fixed some minor problems, but did not affect AM operation as
far as I can tell.

Fred
K4DII
Old August 21st 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

I recently updated the FT-991 firmware to the July 24, 2015, version.
The update fixed some minor problems, but did not affect AM operation as
far as I can tell.

A new update to the FT-991 "Main" firmware was posted on August 17. The
only obvious improvement was the addition of another GPS option. I can
not tell any difference in AM operation.

One thing I did notice, was an occasional event where the radio stops
responding to its controls. One way to correct it is to cycle power.
Another is to keep trying different controls until you find one that
does something. Afterward, the others seem to start working again. I
suspect the problem may be time related, and it would start working
again if I just waited a minute or two!

Fred
K4DII
Old August 21st 15, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:32:58 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

A new update to the FT-991 "Main" firmware was posted on August 17. The
only obvious improvement was the addition of another GPS option. I can
not tell any difference in AM operation.

One thing I did notice, was an occasional event where the radio stops
responding to its controls. One way to correct it is to cycle power.
Another is to keep trying different controls until you find one that
does something. Afterward, the others seem to start working again. I
suspect the problem may be time related, and it would start working
again if I just waited a minute or two!

Yikes!! *Not A Good Thing* (tm) for a contesting rig.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | W3DHJ | W3DHJ | http://W3DHJ.net/
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | __
Old August 26th 15, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

I recently updated the FT-991 firmware to the July 24, 2015, version.
The update fixed some minor problems, but did not affect AM operation as
far as I can tell.

A new update to the FT-991 "Main" firmware was posted on August 17. The
only obvious improvement was the addition of another GPS option. I can
not tell any difference in AM operation.

One thing I did notice, was an occasional event where the radio stops
responding to its controls. One way to correct it is to cycle power.
Another is to keep trying different controls until you find one that
does something. Afterward, the others seem to start working again. I
suspect the problem may be time related, and it would start working
again if I just waited a minute or two!

Another "Main" Firmware Update was released August 25. I installed it
today. The only response problem was when I first fired it up after the
update. So far, it seems to be working OK.

I have not tried to check AM operation yet.

Fred
K4DII
Old December 28th 15, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 2:30:06 AM UTC-6, wa7kgx wrote:
My initial testing on an FT-991 I bought Tuesday indictaes AM
transmission is severely distorted. I tried everything in the manual
that seemed relevant to AM transmission without any improvement.

Transmitting into a Cobra Senior perfectly matched with a Nye Viking MBII
on 3885 showed pronounced downward modulation even on a peak reading
MFJ 870 meter. Normally a peak reading watt meter will show strong upward
movement as the peak power is 4 times carrier power.

I called Yaesu tech support. The tech was not aware of any prolbems with
AM on the 991. He suggested I reset the processor.

After the processor reset returned the 991 to its factory defaults, the
3885 morning crowd confirmed the transmitted signal was still terrible.

I have been able to get good results transmitting AM with many oher
radios including IC706mkiiG, 756Pro, and FlexRadio 5000a.

A quick check on 2 meters showed the same profound downward modulation
on the FT-991.

Anyone having better luck with AM on the FT-991?

-de WA7KGX

I just got the FT-991, and have the same poor audio on transmission in AM mode. Has there been any luck in finding a fix?
Thanks,
N4RCC, Richard

Old January 22nd 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 10:48:46 PM UTC-5, N4RCC - Richard wrote:
[...]

I have same problem with my 991 bought in June 15.it sound a little better when I use MD100 desk mic on hi emphasis
Bob Meyer WA9M
Old February 8th 16, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dr OM,

It's likeley that the AM carrier level in the service menu is set wrong. Maybe interesting to read: http://www.amateurtele.com/index.php...el=168&id=#752 This is an article about the FT-991 and how to adjust the AM carrier level.

73 de PE2CJ.
Old February 10th 16, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 3:13:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Dr OM,

It's likeley that the AM carrier level in the service menu is set wrong. Maybe interesting to read: http://www.amateurtele.com/index.php...el=168&id=#752 This is an article about the FT-991 and how to adjust the AM carrier level.

73 de PE2CJ.

GM OM
With my 991 I cannot set the alc level it is at max no matter where the carrier level or mic gain is set on 6m.On hf bands it seems to work properly u can set the alc level.I have not been able to get audio rpts on 10 AM yet.
I am wondering if there are enough complaints to Yaesu if they will look in to problem.Probably maybe a recall would be in order,that would invole sending radios back to factory.
I have been on website and left a email,but have had no reply.I think a phone call from 991 owners might alert them to the problem.

73 Bob WA9M