Old October 31st 05, 08:16 PM
Bri

Default AR88s and PCBs

I noticed some concern as to the possibility (let's not put it any stronger
than that) of PCB's (polychlorinated biphenyls) being used in the oil filled
capacitors of RCA AR88's. I have 2 such sets, one of which is weeping like
a baby. I intend to replace the old capacitors with modern equivalents
inside the old cans. Is it really likely to be PCB fluid? If so, how to
safely drain, dispose and clean up the dripped fluid without wiping out much
of Western Europe (or at least myself).

Bri

Old October 31st 05, 09:08 PM
AndyB

Bri wrote:
I noticed some concern as to the possibility (let's not put it any stronger
than that) of PCB's (polychlorinated biphenyls) being used in the oil filled
capacitors of RCA AR88's. I have 2 such sets, one of which is weeping like
a baby. I intend to replace the old capacitors with modern equivalents
inside the old cans. Is it really likely to be PCB fluid? If so, how to
safely drain, dispose and clean up the dripped fluid without wiping out much
of Western Europe (or at least myself).

Bri

There is great disparity between opinions on the toxicity of PCBs, from
'put it on your cornflakes' to 'satans death cum'. A lot of it comes
from the fact that there are lots of different kinds and that related
contaminants such as Dioxin are often present, and also from the fact
that a lot of the claimed toxicity can take decades to show itself (PCBs
and the like are very fat soluble and stable and just sit in your body
for years) as it takes the form of endocrine disruption. Its a minefield
of opinion, trod it in depth a couple of years back

Nope, know **** all about transformers - ah, you mean audio output.
I've always assumed the same - match if possible, go over and you lose
volume but its ok and never go under or its boomboom or at least fryfry.

Old October 31st 05, 09:27 PM
Dday

Why would you want to replace the oil capacitors anyways?

They are still good. They have lasted 60 years and they will undoubtedly
outlast us both.

Leave it for the next generation who will neither be able to read or write
anyways.

Old October 31st 05, 11:19 PM
Uncle Peter

"Dday" wrote in message
Why would you want to replace the oil capacitors anyways?

They are still good. They have lasted 60 years and they will undoubtedly
outlast us both.

Leave it for the next generation who will neither be able to read or write
anyways.

The oil filled bathtub caps in surplus military gear are notorious for
being electrically leaky. Still a paper cap, regardless of the type
of oil.

Pete

Old November 1st 05, 01:01 AM
Brian Goldsmith

"Dday" wrote

Why would you want to replace the oil capacitors anyways?

They are still good. They have lasted 60 years and they will undoubtedly
outlast us both.

****Reread the OP original posting," I have 2 such sets, one of which is
weeping like a baby". They are obviously NOT good.

Brian Goldsmith.

Old November 1st 05, 03:18 PM
Chuck Harris

Bri wrote:
Because the oil has leaked everywhere...

"Brian Goldsmith" wrote in message

"Dday" wrote

Why would you want to replace the oil capacitors anyways?

They are still good. They have lasted 60 years and they will undoubtedly
outlast us both.

****Reread the OP original posting," I have 2 such sets, one of which is
weeping like a baby". They are obviously NOT good.

Brian Goldsmith.

clean them up, with naptha, replace the lost oil (mineral oil is fine),
and replace the damaged rubber seals with a good quality silicone sealant,
and the capacitor will go another generation...assuming that it didn't
already arc over.

Oil capacitors have paper as part of the dielectric, but the paper isn't
where the characteristics of the capacitor come from, it is the oil.
The paper is just a convenient separator for the plates.

-Chuck
Old November 1st 05, 06:49 PM
Bri

Thanks for that Chuck.

However it still leaves the problem of potential PCB contamination: did
they, or did they not use PCB's? If it is just mineral oil then there is no
problem, I'll either refill, or more likely remove and replace with modern
capacitors inside the can. It's the potential for PCB poisoning that
concerns me most at the moment.

Bri

Old November 1st 05, 07:24 PM
AndyB

Bri wrote:
I noticed some concern as to the possibility (let's not put it any stronger
than that) of PCB's (polychlorinated biphenyls) being used in the oil filled
capacitors of RCA AR88's. I have 2 such sets, one of which is weeping like
a baby. I intend to replace the old capacitors with modern equivalents
inside the old cans. Is it really likely to be PCB fluid? If so, how to
safely drain, dispose and clean up the dripped fluid without wiping out much
of Western Europe (or at least myself).

Bri

Here are a couple of kitchen-level tests for PCB's:

http://www.tredi.co.nz/html/html/identify.htm

Old November 1st 05, 07:24 PM
Scott Dorsey

Bri wrote:

However it still leaves the problem of potential PCB contamination: did
they, or did they not use PCB's? If it is just mineral oil then there is no
problem, I'll either refill, or more likely remove and replace with modern
capacitors inside the can. It's the potential for PCB poisoning that
concerns me most at the moment.

If it says SAFETY or PYRANOL on it, it's got PCBs. When PCBs were popular,
they were considered such a wonderful thing that manufacturers would brag
about them on the case as using SAFETY OIL.
--scott