Old December 22nd 03, 01:05 AM
Bob Liesenfeld

Default Re-stringing dial cord

Hi gang,
What is the consensus for replacement dial cord? Any common materials
suitable or need I find the real stuff?

Tnx
Bob WB0POQ

Old December 22nd 03, 01:18 AM
- - Bill - -

Bob Liesenfeld wrote:
Hi gang,
What is the consensus for replacement dial cord? Any common materials
suitable or need I find the real stuff?

Tnx
Bob WB0POQ

There's some real crap replacement dial cord on the market so buying new
stuff is like buying a pig-in-a-poke. Problem is that it will flatten
out on the drive shaft if there's much tension and start to overlap
itself. Big problem in some sets.
Its hard to beat plain old dacron type fishing line. A small roll will
last you a lifetime and will probably cost less than 25 feet of iffy
replica cord.
Now that I've said that, if you'd like, email me your address and tell
me how much you need and Santa will supply it at no charge.
I'm good at QRZ.com

Bill-WX4A

Old December 22nd 03, 02:03 PM
Dave Edwards

I needed some dial chord for a Marauder.
I bought some from Antique Electronic Supply.
Worked fine.
....Dave

Old December 22nd 03, 05:10 PM
- - Bill - -

Dave Edwards wrote:
I needed some dial chord for a Marauder.
I bought some from Antique Electronic Supply.
Worked fine.
...Dave

I didn't want to mention any specific names...
AES supposedly has upgraded the cord they are selling. Some disagree, I
haven't been back there for dial cord so I don't know.
If there's minimal tension on it even the bad stuff will work.

-Bill M

Old December 22nd 03, 11:44 PM
George R. Gonzalez

"Bob Liesenfeld" wrote in message
Hi gang,
What is the consensus for replacement dial cord? Any common materials
suitable or need I find the real stuff?

Tnx
Bob WB0POQ

For your heftier boatanchors, Home Depot has some very nice fine woven
steel cable meant for hanging heavy pictures.

I've also used the steel cable you find in scanners and printers. The local
junk place had a whole box of these.

They also make nice replacements for all those venetian blind pull-strings
the cats have chewed off!

Regards,

George

Old December 24th 03, 10:20 PM
Bob Liesenfeld

Bob Liesenfeld wrote:

Hi gang,
What is the consensus for replacement dial cord? Any common materials
suitable or need I find the real stuff?

Tnx
Bob WB0POQ

Thanks to all that responded. I used some black nylon fishing line.
Worked great.

72
Bob

Extension cord "whip" Ron Antenna 4 September 24th 03 09:10 PM
National NC-100A Dial Stringing Kevin Boatanchors 0 September 13th 03 02:09 PM
National NC-100A dial cord stringing Kevin Boatanchors 0 September 12th 03 06:40 PM
WTB S-108 glass tuning dial gil Boatanchors 0 July 21st 03 10:33 AM
FA: Large Millen Vernier dial on Ebay GS Boatanchors 0 July 3rd 03 06:33 AM