Old January 6th 05, 06:57 PM
AaronJ

" wrote:

The autotuner in my FT-920 will tune this antenna flat on most bands.
I do need to use an external tuner on 30 and 10 meters, but this is
easily acomplished by a 2 position coax switch.

Just wondered why you needed the coax switch. If you put the external tuner
between the FT920 and the antenna couldn't you just bypass the FT920 tuner and
switch in the external tuner for 30 and 10 and visa versa for the other bands?

I do this with 2 external tuners. I have an antenna with a similar situation to
yours. My TS870 will autotune ok on 40 thru 10 but not on 80 or 160. I just
daisy chained two external tuners (one pretuned to 160 and the other to 80)
between the TS870 and the balun feeding the open wire feedline. I simply switch
in the needed tuner and bypass the other two. Why *2* external tuners? It makes
for quick band hopping. You switch bands, hear em, push a few switches,
and work em...
Old January 7th 05, 03:29 PM

Maybe I did not explain properly. I use a coax switch to select either
the FT-920 directly and thereby use the built in autotuner, or select
an external manual tuner when I bypass the internal autotuner. This
allows me to use either the built in autotuner, or the manual tuner,
depending on the band. Most of the time the autotuner is just fine
with the antenna I described. I don't understand why you thought I had
2 external tuners? Anyway, I hope this clears that up.

Jim/K2TL

Old January 8th 05, 08:03 AM
AaronJ

" wrote:
Maybe I did not explain properly. I use a coax switch to select either
the FT-920 directly and thereby use the built in autotuner, or select
an external manual tuner when I bypass the internal autotuner. This
allows me to use either the built in autotuner, or the manual tuner,
depending on the band.

Again, you could do the same thing *without* using a coax switch. Simply run the
FT920 direct to your external tuner and the output of the external tuner to the
antenna. Use one tuner and put the other on bypass, or visa versa. This setup
will allow you to use either tuner (or no tuner) on any band.

I don't understand why you thought I had
2 external tuners?

Never thought you did. Try reading that part again.
Old January 8th 05, 07:51 PM
Cecil Moore

AaronJ wrote:
Again, you could do the same thing *without* using a coax switch. Simply run the
FT920 direct to your external tuner and the output of the external tuner to the
antenna. Use one tuner and put the other on bypass, or visa versa. This setup
will allow you to use either tuner (or no tuner) on any band.

Some tuners don't have a bypass function. Perhaps his doesn't.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 8th 05, 11:07 PM

I do not have a bypass switch on the manual tuner, because it is a
homebrew tuner..my fault for not clearing that up ..I never built in a
bypass switch since I had a nice coax switch laying around.
Thanks .
Jim/K2tl

Old January 9th 05, 02:50 AM
AaronJ

" wrote:

I do not have a bypass switch on the manual tuner, because it is a
homebrew tuner..

Ahh, that's what I was missing. Tnx...