Old August 12th 04, 08:36 AM
Bob

Default Coils or specifications needed for Heathkit GD-1B Grid Dip Meter.

I have a Heathkit GD-1B grid dip meter that is missing the coils. Kind
of useless without them, as you can imagine. What I am hoping is that someone
has:

1) An set of coils that they are willing to part with.
or
2) Information about where I can get coils of it.
or
3) Specifications on how to make my own. Things like coil dimensions, wire
sizes, number of turns for each, etc., etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice if I can get
this thing working so I can "play" with it. You know how it is. Thanks to all.

73, Bob KB2ZGN

My email and other contact information can be found in my QRZ listing at:
http://www.qrz.com
Old August 12th 04, 01:07 PM
Dino Papas

Bob -- the specs from the meter manual a

L1 - (1.6 - 3.4 MHz/Red) = 171 ?H [that's micro if the symbol didn't
come thru]

L2 - (3.2 - 6.6 MHz/Orange) = 41.1 ?H

L3 - (6.3 - 13 MHz/Yellow) = 10.2 ?H

L4 - (12.5 -26 MHz/Green) = 2.62 ?H

L5 - (25 - 51 MHz/Blue) = 0.72 ?H

L6 - (48 - 100 MHz/Violet) = 0.196 ?H

L7 - (100 - 250 MHz/Brown) Unfortunately there is no spec for this coil.
Looking inside the coil form it looks like a single "U" shaped loop
constructed from wire that has an outer diameter of about 1.28mm [kinda
tough to get my micrometer inside the form!] and is about 2.4mm long.

The coil forms are about 13.2mm outer diameter and about 34mm long
(except for L7 which is about 15mm long); I can't tell the diameter of
the magnet wire used but it's very thin for L1-L3. I'd count the turns
for you but it's too hard with these old eyes, so here are the lengths
of the coil turns:

L1 - 30mm

L2 - 9.7mm

L3 - 8mm -- thicker gauge wire so fewer turns

L4 - 10.7mm -- 17 turns thicker again wire

L5 - 6.5mm -- 6 turns

L6 - 2.5mm -- 2 1/2 turns

Wish I could measure the wire gauge for you....

Hope this helps

Dino KLOS/4

Old August 13th 04, 03:24 AM
Bob

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:07:14 -0400, Dino Papas wrote:

Wish I could measure the wire gauge for you....

Hope this helps

Dino KLOS/4

Thanks Dino for the thorough explanation and specs for the coils, it is
greatly appreciated. If someone else doesn't come up with wire gauges, (or a
whole set of coils they are willing to part with) the information you provided
is more than enough to replicate the coils. Thanks for all the work you put into
providing this information.

73, Bob KB2ZGN

Old August 15th 04, 02:42 PM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 02:24:24 GMT, Bob wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:07:14 -0400, Dino Papas wrote:

Wish I could measure the wire gauge for you....

Hope this helps

Dino KLOS/4

Thanks Dino for the thorough explanation and specs for the coils, it is
greatly appreciated. If someone else doesn't come up with wire gauges, (or a
whole set of coils they are willing to part with) the information you provided
is more than enough to replicate the coils. Thanks for all the work you put into
providing this information.

73, Bob KB2ZGN

FYI, my Heath solid state dipper, the HD-1250, seems to have coils
that are identical to those the other gentleman is describing. Coils
from the 1250 would apparently work with your vacuum tube model.

bob
k5qwg