Old December 22nd 03, 04:36 AM
Wedgew

Default What do you think about this battery? url attached

http://hamcall.net/alphacell.html
--
OK!
What GeNiuS pUt thE CaPlocK KEy

Seek not to confound me as I am dim-witted and slow of study.

" Molon Labe!" ~Spartan General-King Leonidas

Old December 22nd 03, 05:22 AM
Eddie Haskel

A ripoff! you can get a 160 Amp/hour deep cycle (see trolling motor)
battery in MANY places for that same amount. Why settle for 87 Amp/hour when
you can have TWICE the capacity for the same amount...gets a thumbs down
from here...Eddie

Old December 23rd 03, 01:20 AM
Ed G.

http://hamcall.net/alphacell.html

For a battery of that spec. it looks like an excellent deal .....
except for possibly high added shipping charges for a 66 pound battery.

Ed WB6SAT

Old December 23rd 03, 01:22 AM
Ed G.

A ripoff! you can get a 160 Amp/hour deep cycle (see trolling motor)
battery in MANY places for that same amount. Why settle for 87
Amp/hour when you can have TWICE the capacity for the same
amount...gets a thumbs down from here...

The battery in this discussion is a glass-mat gel cell... a far
superior battery for radio use over a Marine lead-acid type. It will
last much longer, and requires less care. Glass mat batteries also don't
vent gas nearly as much as the marine battery making them much safer if
located in the ham shack.

Ed WB6SAT

Old December 24th 03, 06:02 PM
gus

Good battery for the price, check what the ups ship charge will be.

Yes you also can buy a larger marine battery but it is not same type
at the one online. The sealed led acid (sla) batteries will not vent gas
unless they are abused or overcharged. Regular batteries will vent and
can spill acid.

Check your local hamfests, there always is a few hams selling the recent
pulls from the large UPS systems in our area. Most get pulled after third
year
of service. I have several yausa 12v 38ah batteries each went for $ 10.00
!

Just replaced 60 12v 7ah batteries out of our ups system at work,
ups guy more then happy to leave the batteries for me to give away.

73