Old March 3rd 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Omni

Anyone remember the 3or4 band antenna, omni that needed to be right on the
ground. I think it had 3 traps in it. Might have been for 10, 15 and maybe
40 or 20 meters.

It might have been a crushcraft or alpha. has to be about 30 or 40 year old
antenna.

Anyone remember that old antenna? What was its manufacture? Model ?

thanks if anyone can remember.

Old March 3rd 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:44:07 -0500, Tuuk wrote:

Anyone remember the 3or4 band antenna, omni that needed to be right on
the ground. I think it had 3 traps in it. Might have been for 10, 15 and
maybe 40 or 20 meters.

It might have been a crushcraft or alpha. has to be about 30 or 40 year
old antenna.

Anyone remember that old antenna? What was its manufacture? Model ?

thanks if anyone can remember.

Here's a starting place:

http://www.dxengineering.com/default.asp?DeptID=22

Old March 3rd 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"dave" wrote in message
m...

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:44:07 -0500, Tuuk wrote:

Anyone remember the 3or4 band antenna, omni that needed to be right on
the ground. I think it had 3 traps in it. Might have been for 10, 15 and
maybe 40 or 20 meters.

It might have been a crushcraft or alpha. has to be about 30 or 40 year
old antenna.

Anyone remember that old antenna? What was its manufacture? Model ?

thanks if anyone can remember.

#Here's a starting place:

#http://www.dxengineering.com/default.asp?DeptID=22
-
And I might add that dxengineering has telescoping tubing that can be used
to construct verticals or beams. 6 foot sections fit nicely in a shipping
box.

Old March 3rd 12, 10:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks for the reply

This antenna is about 22 ft long, no gnd planes, I think it has three
traps.

The base has the simple regular 2 ubolt connection to the pipe and the 52ohm
coax hook up.

This antenna must be 30 years old or more. I have seen them at many a
hamfest , was popular around here way back when.

My wondering is the lengths between each trap, it is telescopic aluminum and
it is in pieces. Needs all new hose clamps for each tapered slit connection.

I have seen it before online but do you think I can find it now? I thought
it was crushcraft or delta antennas. I will find it and post it.. Jeesh,
just cant think of it.

Thanks
73s

"Wayne" wrote in message

m...

Old March 8th 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Come on hams

You know the antenna I am talking about. I seen its specs online about 10
years ago. It is a single omni aluminum antenna with three traps in it.
About 19 or 21 foot long. Made for ground use, no ground planes or radials,
and old style. This is an older style antenna. Regular coax hook up. I need
to remember the name of this antenna so I can make sure its lenghth and
specs are correct. Gotta be an old ham out there that remembers these old
style omni antenna.
Thanks

" Tuuk" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply

This antenna is about 22 ft long, no gnd planes, I think it has three
traps.

The base has the simple regular 2 ubolt connection to the pipe and the
52ohm coax hook up.

This antenna must be 30 years old or more. I have seen them at many a
hamfest , was popular around here way back when.

My wondering is the lengths between each trap, it is telescopic aluminum
and it is in pieces. Needs all new hose clamps for each tapered slit
connection.

I have seen it before online but do you think I can find it now? I thought
it was crushcraft or delta antennas. I will find it and post it.. Jeesh,
just cant think of it.

Thanks
73s

"Wayne" wrote in message

m...

Old March 8th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/8/2012 8:08 AM, Tuuk wrote:
Come on hams

You know the antenna I am talking about. I seen its specs online about
10 years ago. It is a single omni aluminum antenna with three traps in
it. About 19 or 21 foot long. Made for ground use, no ground planes or
radials, and old style. This is an older style antenna. Regular coax
hook up. I need to remember the name of this antenna so I can make sure
its lenghth and specs are correct. Gotta be an old ham out there that
remembers these old style omni antenna.
Thanks

There were many versions of trapped verticals sold in the last 30
years. Without pictures of the base or traps, hope of identification is
fairly slim.
Sounds like the typical Cushcraft or Hustler. Or at least those were
the most popular versions.
Also, ground mounted verticals will still need radials if the antenna
is to live up to it's expectations. And there is nothing to stop one
from using one elevated, if one uses resonant radials for each band to
be used.
Look at the tubing and see if it has any marks on it from it's previous
assembly. Often, the clamping will leave marks on the tubing, and one
that was used for a long time will usually show discoloration between
the tubing exposed to the air, and the part that was covered due to
the overlap.

Old March 8th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:51:20 -0600, NM5K wrote:

Also, ground mounted verticals will still need radials if the antenna is
to live up to it's expectations. And there is nothing to stop one from
using one elevated, if one uses resonant radials for each band to be
used.

My GAP Titan DX requires no radials; it is a center fed, asymmetric
vertical dipole.

The OP should try using Bing or Yahoo. Here's the Yahoo Ham Antenna group:

Old March 8th 12, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/8/2012 11:09 AM, dave wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:51:20 -0600, NM5K wrote:

Also, ground mounted verticals will still need radials if the antenna is
to live up to it's expectations. And there is nothing to stop one from
using one elevated, if one uses resonant radials for each band to be
used.

My GAP Titan DX requires no radials; it is a center fed, asymmetric
vertical dipole.

Well, ground mounted monopoles in his case..
Being a "complete" antenna, it's true that the center fed vertical does
not require radials for proper operation, but you would still likely
show lower ground losses if it were over radials.
For instance, broadcast stations that use 1/2 wave radiators still
use a set of radials under the antenna. Usually 1/2 wave radials, when
used with a 1/2 wave radiator.
You will still see some ground loss with the ground mounted 1/2 waves
over poor ground, but being as the max current point is 1/4 up from the
ground, it's not near as severe as the ground mounted 1/4 wave where
maximum current is at the base.

Old March 9th 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:35:58 -0600, NM5K wrote:

On 3/8/2012 11:09 AM, dave wrote:
[...]

I don't think a ground screen is needed if you are 1/2 wave.

If you elevate a short vertical you only need a few "ground" radials
(think CB groundplane antenna), btw. My whole transmit antenna system
floats on my roof. The only "ground" is the panel where the RF goes
through the wall. I receive on a balanced 30m horizontal loop, also
floating except for the point of entry. I have an automatic tuner at the
feedpoint under the eave by my kitchen window. (FWIW) I have lived here
14 years and have never seen lightning at the shack.

Ten Tec Omni D and ext VFO LJL160 Boatanchors 1 February 15th 10 09:33 PM
FA: Ten-Tec Omni VI Plus "LAST DAY" Robert Stuedemann Swap 0 August 19th 05 12:05 AM
FA: Ten-Tec Omni VI Plus Robert Stuedemann Swap 0 August 13th 05 07:25 AM
WTB: Ten-Tec OMNI VI+ VE6IV Swap 0 June 12th 05 06:14 AM
WTB TEN-TEC Omni V or VI James Dickson Swap 1 August 31st 04 03:45 AM