Old August 26th 03, 02:19 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Default recommendations on non-crank-up self-supporting towers

I'm looking for recommendations and rough costing info (from
experienced owners of the make/model they tout) on
non-crank-up (fixed) self-supporting (un-guyed) towers .

(I would *consider* buying an excellent condition used tower
within 100 miles or so radius of Allentown, PA, but I'm thinking
primarily about buying a new tower. I have no ht. restrictions
where I live and want to move on this before winter sets in, so
I need to make a decision and act ASAP.)

I'm looking at the range of 55'-75' ish, depending on several
factors:

1) cost vs. height and wind loading
(looking to put a "large" (6-9 element?) 6m beam just above the
top of the tower, with a 2m/70cm/? satellite array above that, and
a PD-220 "SuperStationmaster" side mounted with the tip near the
top ... and almost certainly some other small VHF/UHF antennas
side-mounted at various locations ... but the latter will not contribute
significantly to wind loading as they will be very modest)

2) code here requires 90 mph wind survival rating

3) I have space for a foundation base up to the 5'x5' range
by, say 6' deep. Actually, I have 12 acres, but where this tower
will go, next to the house between some windows, I want to
limit the size to 5'x5' if at all possible (it's rocky here and digging
that hole will be a SOB ... I'll almost certainly look to have it dug
by someone with a machine ...)

4) a HD rotor must fit inside the top section, with a top plate
for thrust bearing available to handle vertical loads ...

5) Within cost constraints, there is no such thing as "too heavy-duty."

Any help, please?

73,
Carl - wk3c