Old December 2nd 03, 09:01 PM
ASW

Default Antenna Questions

Hi, I am going ot setup my own random/longwire.

I have alread about 50 feet of 50 Ohm RG-6 for the lead in.

I have about 50 feet of 2 conductor speaker wire, and about 200 feet of 4
conducter telephone wire.

First am I going to need a 9:1 transformer to make this work? My input is
supposed to be 50 Ohm.

Is a sloper omni directional? If not which end goes to what area I want to
listen to?

Thanks!
Ant

Old December 2nd 03, 09:39 PM
ASW

I havea wooden fence that I can attach this wire to. Can I staple it up
with metal staples?

Thanks!

Ant
gy.com...

Old December 2nd 03, 09:48 PM
Howard N. Lute

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:01:35 GMT, "ASW" wrote:

Hi, I am going ot setup my own random/longwire.

I have alread about 50 feet of 50 Ohm RG-6 for the lead in.

I have about 50 feet of 2 conductor speaker wire, and about 200 feet of 4
conducter telephone wire.

First am I going to need a 9:1 transformer to make this work? My input is
supposed to be 50 Ohm.

Is a sloper omni directional? If not which end goes to what area I want to
listen to?

Thanks!
Ant

The slope points in the direction you wish to receive from. Simplify,
simplify...100 feet is fine and a lot easier to support over the life
of the antenna. No transformer is necessary.
Retired Teacher, Terrible Mechanic, Worse Plumber!
LPFM Page: http://home.att.net/~optcamel/fmradio.htm
Old December 2nd 03, 10:12 PM
Mark S. Holden

ASW wrote:

I havea wooden fence that I can attach this wire to. Can I staple it up
with metal staples?

Thanks!

Ant
"ASW" wrote in message
gy.com...
Hi, I am going ot setup my own random/longwire.

I have alread about 50 feet of 50 Ohm RG-6 for the lead in.

I have about 50 feet of 2 conductor speaker wire, and about 200 feet of 4
conducter telephone wire.

First am I going to need a 9:1 transformer to make this work? My input is
supposed to be 50 Ohm.

Is a sloper omni directional? If not which end goes to what area I want

listen to?

Thanks!
Ant

The matching transformer is optional, but I think you'll find it makes a significant improvement in the performance of the antenna.
Old December 2nd 03, 10:13 PM
ASW

*sigh*

well that did not seem to work.
I am being blown out by my local AM station.
But I am still pretty dead on all the other AM stations. I cannot pick more
than say 3 or so. Before it was about the same.

But I all I seem to have done is increase the noise!

I have some spurious interference every 60-70 Khz. This is from my power I
am assuming. How do I get rid of it?

I have it hooked up to about 50 foot of speaker wire.

Which is in turn soldered to the center lead on my coax. The coax then goes
into my reciever. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

"ASW" wrote in message
gy.com...
I havea wooden fence that I can attach this wire to. Can I staple it up
with metal staples?

Thanks!

Ant
gy.com...

Old December 2nd 03, 10:34 PM
ASW

Really odd thing.

I am picking up news talk 1010 out of Toronto on 6070.

Is this normal? I live in Bay City MI.
gy.com...

Old December 2nd 03, 10:39 PM
J999w

*sigh*

well that did not seem to work.
I am being blown out by my local AM station.
But I am still pretty dead on all the other AM stations. I cannot pick more
than say 3 or so. Before it was about the same.

But I all I seem to have done is increase the noise!

You didn't mention what radio you're using, but sounds like you're overloading
the front end. I think the antenna is working fine, but your radio can't handle
the loud AM stations in your area. Perhaps a antenna tuner or preselector will
help. You can make one quite easily with parts from an old radio found in the
trash, or rummage sale.

What radio are we talking about?

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee

Old December 2nd 03, 10:54 PM
Howard N. Lute

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:39:54 GMT, "ASW" wrote:

I havea wooden fence that I can attach this wire to. Can I staple it up
with metal staples?

Thanks!

Not the best idea, wrap a wire around the post to an insulator then
from the other end of the insulator is youir antenna...do the same at
the up end of the slope and attach the hot lead of your coax to the
antenna. like this
|------------------------------------------------------------------------||
insulator antenna insulator
Old December 2nd 03, 10:56 PM
Diverd4777

In article om, "ASW"
writes:

*sigh*

well that did not seem to work.
I am being blown out by my local AM station.

Hi Art:

- BTW what kind of receiver do you have ??
I have a Sangean 606A, Icom R-75 and a $ 10 Jwin JX -M14
The M-14 overloads sometimes, the others; - Even using 100 foot random wire
don't overload much at all..

- YOu could try something like a Pre selector ( See below )

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

_-I am within ten miles of several 50,000 watt AM Stations;

No problem.

I have it hooked up to about 50 foot of speaker wire.

Which is in turn soldered to the center lead on my coax. The coax then goes
into my reciever. Am I missing something?

- Try just holding the antenna NEAR your radio, not touching it, moving it
closer & farther away
from the receiver & see if that helps..

Dan

But I am still pretty dead on all the other AM stations. I cannot pick more
than say 3 or so. Before it was about the same.

But I all I seem to have done is increase the noise!

I have some spurious interference every 60-70 Khz. This is from my power I
am assuming. How do I get rid of it?

I have it hooked up to about 50 foot of speaker wire.

Which is in turn soldered to the center lead on my coax. The coax then goes
into my reciever. Am I missing something?

- Try just holding the antenna NEAR your radio, mooving it closer & farther

Old December 2nd 03, 11:00 PM
Howard N. Lute

Which direction are you pointing the slope?
Conditions right now are not good either...solar cycle et al. It'll
calm down in a few months and then reception will improve slowly. Try
7k - 10K area at night.

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:13:25 GMT, "ASW" wrote:

*sigh*

well that did not seem to work.
I am being blown out by my local AM station.
But I am still pretty dead on all the other AM stations. I cannot pick more
than say 3 or so. Before it was about the same.

But I all I seem to have done is increase the noise!

I have some spurious interference every 60-70 Khz. This is from my power I
am assuming. How do I get rid of it?

I have it hooked up to about 50 foot of speaker wire.

Which is in turn soldered to the center lead on my coax. The coax then goes
into my reciever. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

"ASW" wrote in message
igy.com...
I havea wooden fence that I can attach this wire to. Can I staple it up
with metal staples?

Thanks!

Ant
gy.com...