Old December 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Antenna dimensions?

Building a small 2.4 GHz detector:

http://www.atvinderby.co.uk/2.4Ghz_SWR_Meter.htm

Regarding the dimensions of the wire loops:

ant: 28 mm square
reflector: 30 mm square
separation: 10mm
wi 14ga solid (1.6mm dia)

Are these dimensions center-to-center of the conductors? Or are these
dimensions the space between the conductors? With a conductor diam of 1.6mm,
this is more than 10 percent of one dimension (separation), so I think it's
important to get it right.

Also, is the reflector to be grounded or floating?

Thanks.

Old December 6th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

http://www.atvinderby.co.uk/2.4Ghz_SWR_Meter.htm

Regarding the dimensions of the wire loops:

ant: 28 mm square
reflector: 30 mm square
separation: 10mm
wi 14ga solid (1.6mm dia)

Are these dimensions center-to-center of the conductors? Or are these
dimensions the space between the conductors? With a conductor diam of 1.6mm,
this is more than 10 percent of one dimension (separation), so I think it's
important to get it right.

It's probably not actually all that important. Quads are not highly
in their dimensioning. Altering the positioning between the driven
(active) element, and the reflector, will change the antenna's pattern
(gain and front-to-back radio) slightly, and will alter the feedpoint
impedance slightly. Neither of these changes is going to be
particularly significant (and quite possibly not easy to detect) in
this situation. The fact that there's a lot of additional metal in
the neighborhood of the antenna (the BNC connector, etc.) is probably
going to alter the pattern more than the spacing different will
(compared to a theoretically perfect quad in free space).

The pattern of a two-element quad is fairly broad, and the
front-to-back ratio isn't terribly high. It's not the best design for
pinpoint aiming / location of a microwave source... but that isn't
really what this device was intended for. As a field-strength meter,
it'll work fine (and probably just about equally well) with a 10mm
separation edge-to-edge or center-to-center.

Also, is the reflector to be grounded or floating?

In a quad, it is usual for all of the elements other than the driven
one to be floating. Since the article says that the reflector is
fastened with a dollop of glue, I think it's safe to assume that it's
intended to be floating.

That detector is a slick little design - thanks for posting the link!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old December 7th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

It's probably not actually all that important.
dplatt

- - -

Thanks for your comments and evaluation of the project. They are helpful to
someone not skilled in the black art of wireless :-)

I plan to modify the design a bit, eliminating all coax connectors &
adapters, using just 2 banana plugs (and supporting plastic block) as the
connection to the meter.

Is it any more efficient to use copper foil or PCB material as the reflector
rather than wire?

Thanks.

Old December 7th 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message .net,
SparkyGuy writes
It's probably not actually all that important.
dplatt

- - -

Thanks for your comments and evaluation of the project. They are helpful to
someone not skilled in the black art of wireless :-)

I plan to modify the design a bit, eliminating all coax connectors &
adapters, using just 2 banana plugs (and supporting plastic block) as the
connection to the meter.

Is it any more efficient to use copper foil or PCB material as the reflector
rather than wire?

Thanks.

A novel bit of kit, looking at the photos it appears to be being used
with a DVM, depending on how you want to use it you may find an analogue
meter easier. It will show changes better than a DVM. How about buying
a movement and a box and building a totally dedicated unit? I'm tempted
to make something similar.
--
Bill
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself against my enemies.

Old December 7th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

An interesting design...

Keep in mind that you are building a relative, not absolute measurement
device. ie you can calibrate (or not) it anyway you like. Any piece of
wire will have a voltage induced into it by a passing EM field!

The only real concern is that you may want to ensure that the
directivity of the quad is reasonably unidirectional. Some quad designs
have pretty bad front to back performance. This may give you erronous
results if you start seeing reflections or other TX's of the back of
your antenna. The easy way to overcome this is to calibrate the pattern
by rotating the unit in an active 2.4GHz field and noting some values.
You can then use these in later tests.

Cheers Bob

Old December 7th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Thanks for your comments and evaluation of the project. They are helpful to
someone not skilled in the black art of wireless :-)

I plan to modify the design a bit, eliminating all coax connectors &
adapters, using just 2 banana plugs (and supporting plastic block) as the
connection to the meter.

That should certainly work!

Is it any more efficient to use copper foil or PCB material as the reflector
rather than wire?

I believe not.

PCB material will probably be less efficient - standard FR-4
fiberglass-and-epoxy has significant losses at 2.4 GHz. Also, the
presence of the FR-4 will change the effective length/diameter of the
reflector loop... you might have to change the loop diameter to
compensate.

Foil would probably be bit less efficient than wire, assuming that the
width of the foil was the same as the diameter of the wire - less
surface area for the current to flow through, and perhaps more current
crowding to the edges of the foil due to skin effect. It'd also be
significantly less rugged.

Once again, neither of these losses of efficiency is likely to be
terribly important in this application, but why run the risk?

I'd just stick with solid copper wire of a reasonable diameter/gauge,
as it'll be electrically efficient and mechanically strong and rigid,
easy to get, and inexpensive.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old December 7th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Dave Platt wrote:

Is it any more efficient to use copper foil or PCB material as the reflector
rather than wire?

I believe not.

PCB material will probably be less efficient - standard FR-4
fiberglass-and-epoxy has significant losses at 2.4 GHz. Also, the
presence of the FR-4 will change the effective length/diameter of the
reflector loop... you might have to change the loop diameter to
compensate.

I would think so, at 2.4Ghz there is, no doubt, "only skin effect."
Although, I doubt you would notice a great change in efficiency, it
should be prove-able, at least on paper. The biquad uses a solid
reflector plate for good reason, wire is cheaper/easier to obtain. If
the foil side faces the element, I should doubt any rf gets past it to
the fiberglass-epoxy to be "lost" in efficiency.

Foil would probably be bit less efficient than wire, assuming that the
width of the foil was the same as the diameter of the wire - less
surface area for the current to flow through, and perhaps more current
crowding to the edges of the foil due to skin effect. It'd also be
significantly less rugged.

My statement above applies here ... all the wire element can "see" is
reflector, with foil.

Once again, neither of these losses of efficiency is likely to be
terribly important in this application, but why run the risk?

I'd just stick with solid copper wire of a reasonable diameter/gauge,
as it'll be electrically efficient and mechanically strong and rigid,
easy to get, and inexpensive.

Tear apart some LNA/satellite feeds to the dish, you will not see them
using wire reflectors there; I think there is good reason.

Just my opinions drawn from my readings/study, looking at commercial
equipment and hands-on ...

One thing I do totally agree with, it WILL work well with just a wire
reflector.

Regards,
JS

Old December 7th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

John Smith wrote:

One thing I do totally agree with, it WILL work well with just a wire
reflector.

Regards,
JS

I built this, actually, a while back. Toss in a director (what is one
more wire?); I found that to be a worthwhile mod ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 7th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I built this, actually, a while back. Toss in a director (what is one
more wire?); I found that to be a worthwhile mod ...

Regards,
JS

Suggestions re. dimensions and location of a director?

Thanks.

Old December 7th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill wrote:
looking at the photos it appears to be being used
with a DVM, depending on how you want to use it you may find an analogue
meter easier. It will show changes better than a DVM.

The author says he tried that and it didn't work as well:
"I tried connecting the antenna directly to a micro amp moving
coil meter, however there was very little meter deflection from
a Wireless LAN card."

Impedance too low, perhaps?

Clifford Heath.

Antenna dimensions? SparkyGuy Antenna 40 December 9th 08 06:47 PM
Dimensions for DX-100 Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Boatanchors 1 August 1st 07 09:43 PM
Need SX-62 Dimensions Denis Sharon Boatanchors 1 April 1st 06 09:51 PM
Antenna Specs / Dimensions: Help Needed Chay Antenna 0 February 9th 04 08:16 PM
Sommer XP-50 few dimensions ? Pat Antenna 0 July 15th 03 09:02 AM