Old December 21st 03, 06:51 PM
Caljsi

Default Yaesu FT-90R Current on Transmit

Has anyone measured the current drawn by the FT-90R on transmit at the
lower power output levels, i.e. 25, 10 and 5 Watts or otherwise determined
what's needed? I'm planning to operate mine at 10 Watts because of the reports
on overheating, to reduce the near field intensity and in order to operate it
from the car's Cigar lighter socket. And, I'm a QRPer at heart.
Cal K4JSI
Old December 21st 03, 08:36 PM
G. Skiffington

Why don't you measure it yourself Cal? Others, providing you with
measurements, might be ok - ballpark - or way off due to things like
system voltage, using an antenna which may or may not be well matched
and/or a mode that's different than you'd use. Although it's tempting
to use that cigarette lighter socket, I'd strongly recommend against it
due to the general poor connection they afford (and the poor connectors
available generally!)...not to say it won't work for you of course.

Your own basic measurements like this will also add to your knowledge
base and reinforce your theory with practice.

73 - Gord VE1AJF

Old December 22nd 03, 05:18 AM
Eddie Haskel

Be VERY VERY careful with the FT-90R. My first one was destroyed by fire
( the god damn thing burned up). Yaesu said it was a shorted regulator and
did replace the entire radio and accessories. The second one didnt hear
worth ****, tended to overheat and finally flat out died in 3 weeks. I tore
that piece of **** out of the Explorer and replaced it with a Kenwood
TM-G707A and have been VERY happy. No overheating, good RX and a much
tighter RCVR that can hear weak signals. Hell will freeze over before I buy
ANY new **** from Yaesu...
Current line up....
TWO Icom IC-706MKII-G's (Great radio)
Icom T7H good radio
Kenwood TH-F6 not bad, could be a little better on RX
TWO Kenwood TM-G707a's both in vehicles
Motorola System Sabre-3 handheld (workhorse)
Yaesu VR-120 (ok, nothing special..does it's job)
Icom IC-Q7 ( cheap playtoy, but hears GOOD)
Alinco DJX-10 (workhorse, crappy battery setup)
Yaesu 5200 mobile ( dial lights dead, fan dead, poor RX..is now a Echolink
base radio)
Kenwood TM-741 mobile (tired piece of crap, no TX on 2 meters, 6 meters is
deaf, 440 RX sucks, now used as a doorstop)
Radio Shack (Maxon) HTX-202 (Good RX!! one of the best, big as a brick has
been beaten to death and still working)
Radio SHack HTX-10 (10 meters) (OK radio, audio on FM sounds muddy)
Read the radio reviews on www.eham.com and see what others say. For the most
part Yaesu is cranking out **** for radios, look at the FT-7100 (hahahaha) a
worldclass crappy RCVR. The 8100's suffered from crappy circuit board design
with intermittant plate-thrus. The FT-100's had audio boards that burned up.
FT-100D's are problem prone too.The ONLY way Yaesu will get a clue is when
the Amatuer community stops buying this garbage from them! Yaesu CAN build
some good equipment. They do it under the "Vertex" nameplate. That stuff is
heads above the sloppy,crappy dual conversion RX, undercooled(and designed)
crapola they shove up the amatuer's butt....Eddie

Old December 22nd 03, 02:08 PM
Dave Edwards

You should be ok on low power with the FT-90R using the cigar lighter.
Lou may pick up a bit of alternator whine that may not be there going to the
battery.
I have an FT-90R in my car.
Great little rig!
Been chugging along without a problem for months!
....Dave