Old July 18th 05, 10:31 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Air Force One coax ??

At the OKC hamfest I got a piece of neat looking coax that is double
shielded with silver braid, with a sort of clear pink outer cover. It has
connectors so I don't know the thickness of the center conductor.
It's stamped with the following characters:
68999, AA-2831. 81205, 204-15578-1, AUGUST 1996

I asked the seller, an ex-Boeing employee about it and he said it's the same
kind as used in Air Force One. He couldn't recall the specs but said it was
Teflon, good to a Gig but he had used it outdoors. for 2 meters and 440.

Can anyone tell me more or point me to a site?
tnx
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

I've tried to find the specs but get only one hit googling::
http://www.waea.org/tech/techdocs/SatSpec0798V1.doc

This site kind of confirms what the seller said.

Old July 19th 05, 03:01 PM
Don Baker

Henry:
From: http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/coax.html

The recent popularity of a new antenna cable called Skyhighgain Coax has
created a safety problem for users and a nightmare for firefighters. SHGC
was developed theoretically by Tricenters Experimental Laboratories, Inc. as
a signal-boosting element for use in radio and television transmission
lines. Scientists at TELI discovered that when a bias voltage is applied to
the special material used to make SHGC the effect was incredible. Instead of
simply reducing signal loss, the signal strength increased!

Amplification of RF (radio-frequency) signals in the new coaxial
transmission cable was actually greater than 3 db (decibels) per meter per
meter. (Read that again.)

In laymen's terms, that means that for every 10 centimeters a signal travels
through the cable the signal strength doubles! Put 1 Watt of RF energy into
one end of a one meter length of SHGC and you get 2 Watts at the other end
(assuming you supply the bias voltage, of course). At two meters you get 4
Watts. At three meters the signal strength increases to eight Watts.
Doubling the power every meter the total effective power of the signal
exceeds 1,000 Watts by the time it has traveled only 10 meters up the line.

Now imagine what would happen if you had a 100-meter SHGC cable. (The actual
figures are shown at the end of this article.)

In conventional transmission lines there is always some loss of signal
depending upon frequency and the electric characterists of the cable. But
with SHGC, instead of a loss, you get a gain in signal strength. This is the
stuff every radio engineer has dreamed of.

But here's the problem. The unwary (and mathematically challanged) average
user seems to think that if a short section of SHGC inserted in his
transmission line is good, then a longer one is better. If one were to, say
substitute SHGC for the complete run from their radio shack to the top of
their tower, the signal would have more energy than the cable (or the
antenna) could withstand. (The 20-meter traps on the tri-band beam that used
to be on the 60-meter Rohn 25g tower behind the house in the photograph
above were never found.)

Designed to be used in short sections between standard coax and the antenna,
SHGC is not currently available, pending the resolution of certain limiting
manufacturing capabilities. Some reports have surfaced however that a few
samples of the hot-pink colored coax have somehow slipped past reality
checkpoints and made their way into the Amateur (and amateur) community. And
without official spec sheets and installation guides SHGC poses a
significant hazard to the uneducated.

The following table dramatically illustrates the danger of using too much
Skyhighgain Coax in any transmission line.

Length of Coax / Power Output

1 meters - 2 Watts
2 meters - 4 Watts
3 meters - 8 Watts
4 meters - 16 Watts
5 meters - 32 Watts
6 meters - 64 Watts
7 meters - 128 Watts
8 meters - 256 Watts
9 meters - 512 Watts
10 meters - 1,024 Watts
11 meters - 2,048 Watts
12 meters - 4,096 Watts
13 meters - 8,192 Watts
14 meters - 16,384 Watts
15 meters - 32,768 Watts
16 meters - 65,536 Watts
17 meters - 131,072 Watts
18 meters - 262,144 Watts
19 meters - 524,288 Watts
20 meters - 1,048,576 Watts
21 meters - 2,097,152 Watts
22 meters - 4,194,304 Watts
23 meters - 8,388,608 Watts
24 meters - 16,777,216 Watts
25 meters - 33,554,432 Watts
As you can see, by the time you reach only 20 meters, the signal power has
exceeded a million Watts! Assuming your facility's commercial power mains
could handle the load, the signal would exceed 30 million Watts at only 25
meters from the transmitter.

Of course, most power main breakers would trip long before the million Watt
level, but once the signal starts up the transmission line the peak envelope
power (PEP) climbs so fast that there is a possibility that the circuit
breakers would either fuse or the electric current would simply jump the
breaker's open switch gap and power would continue to increase until the
primary main lines evaporated in what could only be described as an
artificial bolt of lightning, showering every surrounding structure in hot
plasma and sparks.

.. .

Old July 19th 05, 03:18 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Don
It's not April 1. Must be nice to have so much free time on your hands.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Henry:

Old July 19th 05, 04:43 PM
Ham op

Perpetual motion again!!

Now, if this could be made to work with beer!!!! Let's see, one pint in
and a lifetime supply out. Sounds good to me.

Henry:

Old July 19th 05, 04:46 PM
Ian White G/GM3SEK

Don Baker wrote:
The recent popularity of a new antenna cable called Skyhighgain Coax
has created a safety problem for users and a nightmare for
firefighters. SHGC was developed theoretically by Tricenters
Experimental Laboratories, Inc. as a signal-boosting element for use in
radio and television transmission lines. Scientists at TELI discovered
that when a bias voltage is applied to the special material used to
make SHGC the effect was incredible. Instead of simply reducing signal
loss, the signal strength increased!

Amplification of RF (radio-frequency) signals in the new coaxial
transmission cable was actually greater than 3 db (decibels) per meter
per meter. (Read that again.)

LEGAL WARNING: positive gain coax was patented in the late 1980s by the
muTek company in Britain, under the brand name "Gainiax".

Following established precedent in this newsgroup, unauthorized users of
this patented technology will be pursued with the full vigour of the
law.

muTek advertised this new product in an April RadCom... and received
several serious inquiries.

Unfortunately the factory did not survive the first production run. The
last words heard over the phone were "You want the ends of these reels
shorted together?"

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Old July 19th 05, 04:47 PM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:43:58 -0400, Ham op wrote:

Now, if this could be made to work with beer!!!! Let's see, one pint in
and a lifetime supply out. Sounds good to me.

Sounds like a bladder infection.
Old July 19th 05, 06:10 PM
notmeman

And the Tooth Fairy was the CFO, and Santa Claus was ther CEO. And
they got busted for breaking Ohm's Law.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:01:30 -0400, "Don Baker"

Henry:

Old July 19th 05, 07:27 PM
Rick Scott

It could be, although I dont remember it specifically when I installed
coax on AF1 (1990). But that is Equivilant to Boeings BMS13-65.
Which is Coax for Satcoms.

Old July 19th 05, 09:08 PM
Ham op

Aw shucks! Truth destroys all the fun!

Old July 19th 05, 10:36 PM
Jim - NN7K

Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:

LEGAL WARNING: positive gain coax was patented in the late 1980s by the
muTek company in Britain, under the brand name "Gainiax".

Following established precedent in this newsgroup, unauthorized users of
this patented technology will be pursued with the full vigour of the law.

muTek advertised this new product in an April RadCom... and received
several serious inquiries.

Unfortunately the factory did not survive the first production run. The
last words heard over the phone were "You want the ends of these reels
shorted together?"

I was wondering why I hadn't heard of any muTEK replacement boards for
any of the newer UHF-VHF rigs--- And, now i KNOW WHY! Jim NN7K

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Antenna 27 November 3rd 04 02:38 PM
The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Shortwave 23 November 3rd 04 02:38 PM
Base Closures N8KDV Shortwave 10 January 20th 04 02:39 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Antenna 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM