Old July 8th 03, 07:16 AM
WavyDave

Default Headphone Repair Question

Am trying to repair the (cat chewed) wires of my new titanium headphones,
and the usual splicing is not working. They are full size, the wire going to
a 1/8 jack. I can undo my repair and hear a low voltage from my supply
when applied to the wires. There are a common and either green or red wire
on each side, they do not seem to be insulated from one another (the common
and colored wire I mean). Any ideas as to what I am missing are
appreciated.

Old July 8th 03, 10:52 PM
TH

I had a pair like that. The wires are insulated only by the enamel coating
on the wire. I had to scrape the coating to get a good splice.

TH

Old July 8th 03, 11:23 PM
Gary S.

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:52:14 -0500, "TH" wrote:

I had a pair like that. The wires are insulated only by the enamel coating
on the wire. I had to scrape the coating to get a good splice.

TH

If it is like magnet wire enamel, soldering heat will not always
remove it. You need to either scrape with a razor blade, or use a
heavy-duty chemical made for the purpose. The warning label on it may
have you using a razor.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old July 9th 03, 03:22 AM
WavyDave

All, thanks, I am up and running again. I was also given the following hint
regarding enamel

Hint for removing enamel:
- Heat it up with a match or cigarette lighter;
- When hot, quickly sink it in alcohol.
The enamel cracks. Just take it off with your fingers.

Ricardo

Old July 10th 03, 06:00 AM
George Kinzer

go to electronics101.com

--

Those who want to be successful, will find a way,
those that don't, will find an excuse!

---

Old July 10th 03, 06:00 AM
George Kinzer

go to electronics101.com

--

Those who want to be successful, will find a way,
those that don't, will find an excuse!

---

Noise and Loops Question Tony Angerame Antenna 4 August 24th 04 10:12 PM
Yaesu Rotor Repair Topaz305RK Antenna 3 July 9th 04 12:54 AM
Kenwood & Yaesu Repair Service John Equipment 0 January 17th 04 12:58 PM
SP 600 repair question John H. Gindlesberger Boatanchors 1 December 19th 03 08:44 PM
transmitter question - its a dousy duckman Equipment 0 December 9th 03 12:51 AM