Old September 2nd 03, 06:04 AM
mike

Default I wonder...

I wonder what the rest of the world thinks of American psuedo patriots and
end times false prophets on the domestically transmitted 'brokered'
stations.
It would seem to me the latin Americans who can understand english must
really roll their eyes in disgust.
Naturally, they don't have the distractions Americans enjoy, so I am sure
they can spot a counterfit Christian two thousand miles away.

As for the psuedo patriots, I bet the Canadians get quite a chuckle. I know
I do;-)

mike

Old September 2nd 03, 08:39 PM
JA

Most of us avoid the radical protestant-type of broadcaster just like we
avoid hard-sell tactics re merchandise. The manner of speech itself is
unusual: emotional, almost yelling. I've felt the radio and TV evangelists
are cultural phenomena unique to the US, but exactly what the phonomena is,
is hard to place. Something like "I'll convince you of this and then
you'll be one of the good people versus one of bad. And then I'll ask you
for money."

I can't say I listen to these sorts of folks longer than to know what sort
of broadcast it is and move on. They are easy to id though.

JA, from Canada now, with relatives in Mexico and Taiwan.

Old September 3rd 03, 01:04 AM
Dr Artaud

Touche' Kudos. Amen

"Warpcore" wrote in
ink.net:

People now under the threat of armageddon, real or imagined, are
turning toward whatever seems to point toward the light. The
materialism of the age can confuse, but the inner voice is insistent.
Whether the light is from God or something else remains to be seen.
You know we live in an age of alienated people when cults start
suiciding when a comet approaches s. Every church "passes the plate"
because it takes money to have a place to meet and carry out business.
I have faith that people have enough brains to know what is genuine
and what is not, but human beings can be deceived in the fog of fear.
Those who are on the air to make a buck are not genuine. There are
some who say what they feel impelled to say what they say because of a
true conviction that appears to be from the Holy Spirit, and if they
are any kind of a christian, should express themselves. But
discernment of the nature of what is said can be a problem, because it
depends on faith and human perception. Chri$tianity has nothing to do
with Christ. To assume that everyone who expresses concern are living
in a state of mindless panic would be a mistake. If you hear someone
break into your house, you would be a fool to turn over and go back to
sleep in this day age. The bible says that a prophet should be judged.
A sure sign that a prophet is not genuine would be that what is
predicted never came to pass, or that what was said contradicted the
known truth, because God cannot speak a lie, and a prophet is the
vehicle through which God speaks. It should be kept in mind, that not
everyone can realise what they have heard, and so never talk about it.
There are some who listen and give us a heads up that something is
afoot. By and large, I think that is the phenomenon at hand. If you
are a prairie dog and stand tall when you hear a warning, it is
entirely possible that you can be eaten while you look around and
wonder what's going on.

Old September 3rd 03, 10:47 PM
tommyknocker

JA wrote:

Most of us avoid the radical protestant-type of broadcaster just like we
avoid hard-sell tactics re merchandise. The manner of speech itself is
unusual: emotional, almost yelling. I've felt the radio and TV evangelists
are cultural phenomena unique to the US, but exactly what the phonomena is,
is hard to place. Something like "I'll convince you of this and then
you'll be one of the good people versus one of bad. And then I'll ask you
for money."

I can't say I listen to these sorts of folks longer than to know what sort
of broadcast it is and move on. They are easy to id though.

I always look at Passport or EiBi so I know exactly who it is. These
stations only ID every hour as per FCC regs so it's hard to tell WWCR
apart from WWFV. Anyway, you're right that this type of evangelism is
unique to the US. I believe that it can be traced all the way back to
The Great Awakening in the 1740s. From all accounts those preachers were
just as emotional as today's, except they didn't have radio back then so
the preachers were nomads going from town to town. I personally think
it's a crude form of mind control propaganda, with the desired effect of
overriding reason so the subconscious accepts the words without
question.

Old September 4th 03, 03:38 AM
tommyknocker

Brenda Ann wrote:

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
JA wrote:

[...]

Televangelists are far from a strictly American phenomenon.. we have them
over here, too. Though I can't tell whether they are asking for money
(don't yet understand enough Korean, even after living here for three years
now), but they certainly have ENOUGH of them..

The Korean Christians are spiritual direct descendants of the American
right wing Christians. Right wing Protestants sent missionaries to Korea
after the Korean War ended, and Christianity went from zero percent of
the South Korean population in 1953 to over 50% fifty years later-most
of them Bible literalists like their American converters.

Old September 4th 03, 02:24 PM
MJC

If 200 billion believe a certain specific philosophy (religion), that
doesn't mean that they are right.
If only one person believes another philosophy, that doesn't mean that
he is wrong.
In the end, there can only be one truth... an absolute truth that exists
no matter who believes what. To use the most basic truth there is as an
example: It doesn't matter if a believing individual believes if God exists,
or an athiest believes that God does NOT exist at all. The ABSOLUTE truth is
that God either exists or he doesn't. Only one of those two beliefs can be
correct so whichever is true, that makes the other a false belief. Each of
us should hope that we choose our belief carefully. It's probably safer to
choose to believe and be wrong than to choose not to believe and be wrong.
Once you've chosen one of those basic beliefs, then, if you believe in
God's existence, the same criteria applies to all of the individual beliefs
that make up any of the religions on the earth. Again, and this is
important, choose carefully.
If you believe in God, and you then believe that that God wants you to
go kill other people (as Muslims do), then I hope to God that you have
chosen your belief correctly. But just because you believe that killing
others is the "will of God", that doesn't mean that it is true. There is a
certain "common sense" that would suggest that no God would will beings of
His creation to kill others for the reasons that Muslims state. (If you
aren't Muslim, we kill you!) After all, the one common thread of all
philosophies is that each person is free to choose his own path, even if
that path is wrong. Those who choose wrong are to be dealt with directly by
their Creator at the proper time, not by a bunch of ****ants who operate at
a kindergarten level of thought and purpose.
You people talk like any and all religions are just flavors of the day
but in the end, there will be only one truth, and we will all (individually)
have to accept the consequences of our choice. This means that those who
have chosen their path carefully don't give a **** about what others think
of them, right or wrong (as evidenced by murderous Muslims who will keep
killing until they are killed). But isn't that why we're here?... to make
(free) choices and to then answer for those choices later?

Choosing carefully,
MJC

"Gregg" wrote in message
Behold, mike signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

As for the psuedo patriots, I bet the Canadians get quite a chuckle. I
know I do;-)

mike

Aye, we do ;-)

With listeners thinking all American's are Christians like the preaching
crackpots on SW, non-Christian religions are having their folds increase
at a dramatic rate.

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Old September 4th 03, 09:40 PM
Ian Smith

"Uncle Jizzie" wrote in message
Who gives a s%*t what the Canadians think about ANYTHING.

At last, the word of a reasonable man belches forth. I
salute you and all your kind. S-)

UJ

Old September 4th 03, 09:44 PM
Ian Smith

"MJC" wrote in message
If

snipped

I don't believe in any god, and I'm fully comfortable with
that viewpoint. No, the truth is already known to me.

Shortwave shortwave shortwave shortwave shortwave shortwave
[...]

"The truth is that we are all merely a collection of molecules,
so crafted by a process of continuous evolution, that our
complexity might suggest some higher intelligence at work;
but the truth still stands."

Old September 5th 03, 04:38 AM
Ross Archer

Gregg wrote:

Fine for Christians, but 80% of the earth isn't.

And a certain sort of Christian lovingly intends to force
them to convert.