Old March 25th 04, 10:08 PM
Rich

Default EH Scott 'morale' receiver

I found an EH Scott SLR-12-B (Navy? 'morale') receiver
(550kc-16Mc) for sale. I would like to know what ($) to offer for it
presuming good working condition. I have not been able to find much
information about this set on the internet. If you know of any EH
Scott BA resources I would appreciate if you share them with me. TIA!

Old March 26th 04, 03:14 AM
exray

Biz WDØHCO wrote:

E.H. Scott was a native New Zealander who came to the US and founded Scott
Transformer Co in 1924. The name of the company was changed to Scott Radio
Labs when it was re-located to Chicago in 1931. Scott sold most of his
interest in the company when he was demoted from president to sales manager
1944 and resigned in 1945. He died in his retirement home in Victoria B.C.
Canada.

Some (quoted) facts well stated, others tend to carry a bias.

The E.H. Scott Morale Receiver is interesting in that it was the only
receiver made during WW2 where radiation from the local oscillators were
heavily suppressed.

Absolute BS. Now the Scott story takes a twist. Scott mfgd a whole
slew of non-mil radios in that era. So did many others. I've got a
cheapo PECO radio in the closet that was sold in PXs in places like
Tarawa. No 'special' filtering or shielding of the LO.

Up to that point, the Germans learned to DF a convoy by
tuning into the signals given off by local oscillators. Some German subs
could detect these signals from as far as 100 miles at night.

Needless to say, Scott sold many receivers to the U.S. Navy.

Hmmm, ok.

Still they remain fairly rare on the market. I'd offer $60 to $80 and see if
the seller bites. You will probably have to changed the electrolytic caps
and a few tubes.

I'd say they are fairly common, at least on ebay, and more like
150-200... and three dollars worth of hastily ho-rigged-in replacement
caps would only be a negative to the sets value as a collectible.

Of course I could be wrong also...

-Bill WX4A

- Biz WD0HCO

Old March 26th 04, 04:54 AM
Frank Dresser

"Rich" wrote in message
I found an EH Scott SLR-12-B (Navy? 'morale') receiver
(550kc-16Mc) for sale. I would like to know what ($) to offer for it
presuming good working condition. I have not been able to find much
information about this set on the internet. If you know of any EH
Scott BA resources I would appreciate if you share them with me. TIA!

I've posted a page about the Scott REE receiver from Fred Osterman's
"Shortwave Radios Past & Present" on the alt.binaries.pictures.radio group.
The REE seems very similar to your description of the SLR-12-B radio.

The circled numbers on the lower chart mean:

1 -- New price unknown
5 -- Used price unknown
6 -- Insufficent information available for a value rating

No prices, but the other info may be useful.

Here's a sales flyer I found very interesting about EH Scott and one of his
fancy civilian shortwave radios:

http://www181.pair.com/otsw/Scott.html

Frank Dresser

Old March 26th 04, 05:09 AM
Frank Dresser

"Biz WDØHCO" wrote in message

[snip]
..

The E.H. Scott Morale Receiver is interesting in that it was the only
receiver made during WW2 where radiation from the local oscillators were
heavily suppressed.

Lots of receivers had dual pentode RF stages to minimize oscillator leakage.

Up to that point, the Germans learned to DF a convoy by
tuning into the signals given off by local oscillators. Some German subs
could detect these signals from as far as 100 miles at night.

I'd think that regenerative recievers operated by careless operators were
the real risk of giving a ship's location away. Detecting a normal superhet
at 100 miles seems iffy to me.

[snip]

Frank Dresser

Old March 26th 04, 05:45 AM
Biz WDØHCO

Some (quoted) facts well stated, others tend to carry a bias.

The E.H. Scott Morale Receiver is interesting in that it was the only
receiver made during WW2 where radiation from the local oscillators were
heavily suppressed.

Absolute BS. Now the Scott story takes a twist. Scott mfgd a whole
slew of non-mil radios in that era. So did many others. I've got a
cheapo PECO radio in the closet that was sold in PXs in places like
Tarawa. No 'special' filtering or shielding of the LO.

YES BUBBA... but we are talking about a Military SLR-12-B and the statement
above is very true. As for the "whole slew of" bit - civilian radio
production (along with a whole lot of other things) was severely reduced
during the war years.

Up to that point, the Germans learned to DF a convoy by
tuning into the signals given off by local oscillators. Some German subs
could detect these signals from as far as 100 miles at night.

Needless to say, Scott sold many receivers to the U.S. Navy.

Hmmm, ok.

Still they remain fairly rare on the market. I'd offer $60 to $80 and see if
the seller bites. You will probably have to changed the electrolytic caps
and a few tubes.

I'd say they are fairly common, at least on ebay, and more like
150-200... and three dollars worth of hastily ho-rigged-in replacement
caps would only be a negative to the sets value as a collectible.

eBay is a great place to sell - bad place to buy. The gentleman was buying
the radio. I wouldn't pay more than $80 for it myself. But then again, I
wouldn't pay $8,000 for an SX-88, but that just me. I'm not a blonde,
bloated burned out musician. ;^)

Seen No SLR-12-B's on eBay for the past year.

Right about electrolytics - yep they cost bucks - which is why Rich should
pay even LESS for that old Scott!

Of course I could be wrong also...

CLARO QUE SI!

-Bill WX4A

Old March 26th 04, 09:09 AM
Frank Dresser

"Biz WDØHCO" wrote in message

This is fun! Well yea about the regen for sure - Some of those Superhets
leaked just as much. (Like a T.O. in a leatherette covered plywood box)

The page I posted on the binaries says the Scott REE was used in the crew's
quarters. Was the well shielded Scott radio provided so crewmen wouldn't be
tempted to bring their own radio on board?

but think about this... middle of the ocean -
late at night -
100's of miles from anything -
floating around in a sub with everything turned off -

During a war under radio silence with just receivers turned on...

100 miles seems possible to me.

I think "possible" and "iffy" are two ways of saying the same thing from
different viewpoints. I suspect the usual thunderstorm crackle from South
and Central America, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and Africa would
overwhelm local oscillator radiation from a superhet at much less than 100
miles nearly all the time.

All bets are off in the case of a regenerative receiver being used with the
detector's regeneration control turned up into the oscillation region in
order that an anticipated CW signal could be heard more clearly.

The posted page also says the Germans were suspected of being able to listen
in on the 455 kc IF radiation. This would even more tenous than local
oscillator radiation. Again, not impossible, but I doubt long range
detection could be done with any reliability.

I don't doubt ships were being detected at long range, and using well
shielded receivers was a wise precaution. But I'll speculate that German
code breaking detected at least as many ships as long range direction
finding, and it wasn't immediately obvious to our Navy just what tipped off
the ship's location.

Frank Dresser