Old June 1st 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Trying to find out what Ferrite material this is.

I came across two ferrite toroids with the measurements of 35mm
diameter, the hole in the middle is 21mm and it is 13mm thick. On the
packet it says that the ferrite material is L15. Does anybody know if
L15 is equivalent to 43 or 61 ferrite material? I have searched the
net but have been unable to find any information. Any information
would be appreciated. Cheers.

Old June 1st 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I haven't got an antenna analyser to do the above checks. The toroids
came in a box of stuff from a hamfest. They are in a packet which has
the brand name "Duratech" printed on it.

Old June 1st 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
I haven't got an antenna analyser to do the above checks. The toroids
came in a box of stuff from a hamfest. They are in a packet which has
the brand name "Duratech" printed on it.

If you have any means at all of mesuring
inductance, you can go he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor
Inductor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the formula (#6) for the inductance
of a toroidal ring. Enter the
appropriate values and solve for u
(permeability of the core). Then look at
ferrites and iron power core properties
with the calculated permeability at the
test frequency. You'll probably find
several core materials that fit.

I think that's about all that can be done.

Chuck

Old June 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:03:30 -0700, wrote:

I haven't got an antenna analyser to do the above checks.

Do you have a SWR meter?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 1st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote in
:

Search Jaycar's site for a LO1238. If that is what you have, you could
ask them for data.

I should have added that I think it is similar to the L8 material described
in their data sheets.

I have a vague recollection of measuring the inductance of a winding on the
material, and I think the ui was around 1500 which suggests it is low loss
up to a few hundred kHz, perhaps to 1MHz or so.

Owen
Old June 2nd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello Owen,
I have tracked the product down to Jaycar but they don't know anything
about the material. The person I contacted was very vague and couldn't
steer me towards anybody that would know what material it was. All I
want to know is if the toroids would be any good for HF 1:1 baluns. I
have just made a balun using a FT-140-61 which is very close to the
same dimensions as the 2 toroids in the Duratech packet. If they can
be used they are a fair bit cheaper than sourcing FT-140-61 toroids.
Cheers
Max

TV type Ferrite Cores / Ferrite Cores / Magnetic Longwire Baluns (MLBs) and more RHF Shortwave 0 January 9th 05 03:06 PM
aNTENNA MATERIAL Jimmie Antenna 11 June 17th 04 07:13 PM
Anechoic Material Vishad Homebrew 2 April 6th 04 04:53 AM
Anechoic Material Vishad Homebrew 0 April 6th 04 03:12 AM
How good is ferrite 75 material for crystal AM radio? beginner Homebrew 14 January 29th 04 03:40 AM