Old June 3rd 04, 04:24 PM

Default Receiver advice

On the verge of buying my first SW radio and *think* I'm gonna go for
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, which seems to have some pretty good reviews
and a reputation for being well made.

Any opinions or advice before I splash the cash would be much
appreciated!

Cheers, Keith.
Old June 4th 04, 02:45 AM
Diverd4777

In article , Volker Tonn
writes:

Keep in mind that NO portable can compete with a decent tabletop SW-radio.

- Disagree..
It's got a lot to do with the antenna, anyway...
You will be amazed at what you can pick up on the 7600 with a good antenna..

Old June 4th 04, 02:54 AM
dxAce

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , Volker Tonn
writes:

Keep in mind that NO portable can compete with a decent tabletop SW-radio.

- Disagree..
It's got a lot to do with the antenna, anyway...
You will be amazed at what you can pick up on the 7600 with a good antenna..

Yes, but you'll pick up a WHOLE lot more DX with a nice table-top. More
features, better filters , more things to possibly tweak...

As Bryant says... trust me...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 4th 04, 03:06 AM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , Volker Tonn
writes:

Keep in mind that NO portable can compete with a decent tabletop SW-radio.

- Disagree..
It's got a lot to do with the antenna, anyway...
You will be amazed at what you can pick up on the 7600 with a good antenna..

Yes, but you'll pick up a WHOLE lot more DX with a nice table-top. More
features, better filters , more things to possibly tweak...

As Bryant says... trust me...

And, by golly, I know I can out DX you... I probably already have!

No brag, just fact.

Old June 4th 04, 09:33 PM
Diverd4777

In article , Noel
writes:

Both
developed problems with the dc input from the mains adaptor after a
very short amount of time. The GR, for instance, is 6 months old and
already showing such problems.

Typical Sony adapter problems;
- Just run it on batteries..
Old June 4th 04, 10:57 PM
Michael

wrote in message
On the verge of buying my first SW radio and *think* I'm gonna go for
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, which seems to have some pretty good reviews
and a reputation for being well made.

Any opinions or advice before I splash the cash would be much
appreciated!

Cheers, Keith.

IMO, that is the best choice for the money. Good audio, quite sensitive and
selective.... Great features... AM ssb selectable sync. I had a 7600G and I
LOVED it. I'm sorry I sold it

Closest to it is the Grundig YB-400. Said to have just slightly better
audio, but it falls short of the Sony in every other aspect, IMO.

Other options to spend more and move up to the $400.00 to $500.00 range.....
Sat-800 or used Drake R8 or new R-75

Michael

Old June 4th 04, 11:09 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Michael"
writes:

IMO, that is the best choice for the money. Good audio, quite sensitive and
selective.... Great features... AM ssb selectable sync. I had a 7600G and I
LOVED it. I'm sorry I sold it

I had one; had better audio than a receiver 3-4 times as expensive..

Great little receiver . .

Old June 6th 04, 05:58 AM
Mark Keith

dxAce wrote:

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , Volker Tonn
writes:

Keep in mind that NO portable can compete with a decent tabletop SW-radio.

- Disagree..
It's got a lot to do with the antenna, anyway...
You will be amazed at what you can pick up on the 7600 with a good antenna..

Yes, but you'll pick up a WHOLE lot more DX with a nice table-top. More
features, better filters , more things to possibly tweak...

As Bryant says... trust me...

I gotta agree, but then again, being I don't use any of the latest
portables, there may be some newer decent ones. But of the portables
I've seen, not a single one is anywhere close to any of my non
portables...Actually, my oft used 706mk2g is probably smaller than some
so called portables not counting power supply or battery...I don't
disagree that you can do a bargeload of listening with the portable. You
can. But myself, I'm too spoiled...I don't know of a single portable I
really can say I would be happy using. Not a one...
If I were to spend say 200-300-400 bucks on a radio. I would not get a
portable. I would buy a used icom, yeahoo, kenmore, drake, etc....IE:
R-70's, 71's, maybe even 75's can be had fairly reasonable if you know
where to look. Same for the other brand receivers. IE: R-2000-5000's,
etc...
But, one reason I'm so biased, is I listen to a lot of SSB. All the "big
name" radios smoke the portables at SSB, hands down. No contest...AM-BC
only, a portable can do quite well. Maybe even have better audio in some
cases due to the usually wider filters...:/ Also when it comes to
tuning, tuning rates, tuning resolution, and stability, most portables
suck. IE: my 706 has ten tuning rates, reads out to a single cycle, and
don't drift. That stability and tuning ease will greatly spoil you.
One thing to consider...If you start out on a portable, and then get
serious, you will end up upgrading anyway most likely...If you buy the
big radio from the start, there isn't the user fatique you might see
later on a portable, when the user starts to realize what he's
missing...:/ So in the end run, he actually saves money by coughing it
all up from the start...*hic* He only buys one radio instead of two in
the long haul... The only portable I have now is a huge JVC blaster box
that was made in the 80's or so. It has SW, AM only, and is decent for
AM SWL. But I'd still rather use the 706 any day for the same use.
"AM". Well, actually, I also have a '58 TO, and it is portable,
but....Naaaaaa....It's great for casual powerhouse listening, but
anything serious? Nope...Good for MW...

--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k