Old April 27th 05, 01:52 PM
Vince

Default Antenna Building Materials

Hello:

Now that Spring has arrived I am getting the urge to rebuild and/or
add antennae to my backyard landscape.

I seem to recall an article in QST that showed use of 1/4 inch
diameter PVC tubing as spacers in a fanned dipole array. However,
Home Depot does not have that size available.
Where can 1/4 inch PVC tubing be purchased w/o goiong through
an OnLine source ?
Does anyone remember which issue that article appeared ?

I would think that spacers used with open transmission line would also
work in my application of a fanned dipole array. So, from where can
spacers be obtained or homebrewed ?

TNX.

73, de ~ Vince ~
WA2RSX
Stuck on IOTA NA-026

Old April 27th 05, 03:18 PM
Cecil Moore

Vince wrote:
I would think that spacers used with open transmission line would also
work in my application of a fanned dipole array. So, from where can
spacers be obtained or homebrewed ?

The black plastic irrigation tubing is what I use.
It's very easy with which to work.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 27th 05, 05:28 PM
Brian Kelly

Vince wrote:
Hello:

Now that Spring has arrived I am getting the urge to rebuild and/or
add antennae to my backyard landscape.

I seem to recall an article in QST that showed use of 1/4 inch
diameter PVC tubing as spacers in a fanned dipole array. However,
Home Depot does not have that size available.
Where can 1/4 inch PVC tubing be purchased w/o goiong through
an OnLine source ?
Does anyone remember which issue that article appeared ?

I would think that spacers used with open transmission line would

also
work in my application of a fanned dipole array. So, from where can
spacers be obtained or homebrewed ?

Forget Home Depot, get familiar with the Mother of All Hardware Stores.

Go to: http://www.mcmaster.com/

In the search box in the upper left corner enter "9446K41" and go.

Also check out #87025K27. Although it's heavier and a bit more
expensive I'd use this PVC Type 2 solid rod stock which is an
electrical grade PVC. It's much stiffer and stronger than the tubing
and it comes in straight lengths rather than being wound in a coil. I
wouldn't worry about the "use indoors" comment, the stuff will last for
years out in the WX. Or spray paint the spreaders black.

TNX.

73, de ~ Vince ~
WA2RSX
Stuck on IOTA NA-026

w3rv

.. . stuck . .

Old April 27th 05, 05:54 PM
John Smith

Somewhere, I read that the black plastic and grey conduit types were
unsuitable for antenna construction.
And, if I remember correctly, it was (claimed) due to carbon in the black
and metal oxide coloring in the grey...

Was this an old wives-tale?

Regards,
John

Old April 28th 05, 12:01 AM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Somewhere, I read that the black plastic and grey conduit types were
unsuitable for antenna construction.
And, if I remember correctly, it was (claimed) due to carbon in the black
and metal oxide coloring in the grey...

Was this an old wives-tale?

The thin plastic irrigation tubing has close to infinite
resistance and stays cool in the microwave. It is used
as spacers in presently available open-wire transmission
line.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 28th 05, 12:16 AM
atec

John Smith wrote:
Somewhere, I read that the black plastic and grey conduit types were
unsuitable for antenna construction.
And, if I remember correctly, it was (claimed) due to carbon in the black
and metal oxide coloring in the grey...

Was this an old wives-tale?

Regards,
John

It is correct , normally testing the conduit in a microwave for 30
seconds works , if its not hot then its reasonably rf resistant .
Old April 28th 05, 12:32 AM
Brian Kelly

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Somewhere, I read that the black plastic and grey conduit types

were
unsuitable for antenna construction.
And, if I remember correctly, it was (claimed) due to carbon in the

black
and metal oxide coloring in the grey...

Was this an old wives-tale?

The thin plastic irrigation tubing has close to infinite
resistance and stays cool in the microwave. It is used
as spacers in presently available open-wire transmission
line.

Cecil, who sells that line??

--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

w3rv

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Old April 28th 05, 01:23 AM
John Smith

Thanks Cecil/Atec... I have expanded my list of antenna materials! And, the
microwave will be my authority...

Warmest regards,
John

Old April 28th 05, 05:10 AM
Cecil Moore

Brian Kelly wrote:
Cecil, who sells that line??

http://www.w7fg.com
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 28th 05, 05:47 AM
Howard

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:01:30 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

John Smith wrote:
Somewhere, I read that the black plastic and grey conduit types were
unsuitable for antenna construction.
And, if I remember correctly, it was (claimed) due to carbon in the black
and metal oxide coloring in the grey...

Was this an old wives-tale?

The thin plastic irrigation tubing has close to infinite
resistance and stays cool in the microwave. It is used
as spacers in presently available open-wire transmission
line.

At work we had an issue with the use of nylong tie-straps on our test
fixtures that were used during RF testing (moderate power, Ka band).
Well, I'm in the mechanical side of the house but suggested the
microwave test & pretty soon I was surrounded by RF guys who heard
about my answer and were interested in why I thought that would work -
when I explained it they were not only satisfied it would answer their
concern but were rather impressed that a guy who does mechanical
ground support equipment came up with it. None of them were Hams. I
think it's great that our hobby can help us out in other ways.

Howard