16 volt pilot lamp for FT-101

Old June 5th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P[_2_]

Default 16 volt pilot lamp for FT-101

Can anyone point me to a source for the 16 volt bayonet pilot lamps use to
protect the receive circuit of the Yaesu FT-101?

Thanks,
Paul P.

Old June 5th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey

Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:
Can anyone point me to a source for the 16 volt bayonet pilot lamps use to
protect the receive circuit of the Yaesu FT-101?

What's the number on them?
--scott
Old June 5th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P[_2_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:
Can anyone point me to a source for the 16 volt bayonet pilot lamps use to
protect the receive circuit of the Yaesu FT-101?

What's the number on them?
--scott

That would be easy and a lamp number is one of the first things I looked for
:~) But this lamp only has volts and amps stamped on the base (at least
that is what was embossed. Not all the characters took.). It does have 16v
at 0.15 amps clearly embossed. There is no number in the Yaesu parts list
either.

Sorry but that is all I have.

Paul P.

Old June 5th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:
Can anyone point me to a source for the 16 volt bayonet pilot lamps use to
protect the receive circuit of the Yaesu FT-101?

What's the number on them?

That would be easy and a lamp number is one of the first things I looked for
:~) But this lamp only has volts and amps stamped on the base (at least
that is what was embossed. Not all the characters took.). It does have 16v
at 0.15 amps clearly embossed. There is no number in the Yaesu parts list
either.

I have a 1972 Chicago Miniature Lamp catalogue here and I see a lot of 14V
and 18V lamps but nothing in-between.

I'd suggest replacing it with a 14V 0.15V lamp like a 1488 (which is a full-
size bayonet) or a 14V 0.12A mini bayonet like an 1892. That will cause
it to limit current at a lower level than before, but that gives you a
little more safety margin.

I'd be curious how the original one failed, though.
--scott

Old June 6th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P[_2_]

I'd be curious how the original one failed, though.
--scott

Mechanical failure.

It looks good but does not conduct. It threw me for a while before I
actually tested it instead of looking at it.

One of the first things they taught me in tech school in the 70's. Ohm out
the lamps and fuses.

Paul P.

Old June 6th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey

Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:

I'd be curious how the original one failed, though.

Mechanical failure.

It looks good but does not conduct. It threw me for a while before I
actually tested it instead of looking at it.

One of the first things they taught me in tech school in the 70's. Ohm out
the lamps and fuses.

I know this sounds weird... but try applying 16V to the thing with a bench
supply and see what happens.

I have seen some lamps that seem to be an open until power is applied
and then they become normal. I don't know what causes it, it's as
if a layer of corrosion built up on a contact somewhere.

Odds are it really IS bad, but five minutes will make sure.
--scott
Old June 7th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JB[_3_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:

I'd be curious how the original one failed, though.

Mechanical failure.

It looks good but does not conduct. It threw me for a while before I
actually tested it instead of looking at it.

One of the first things they taught me in tech school in the 70's. Ohm

out
the lamps and fuses.

I know this sounds weird... but try applying 16V to the thing with a bench
supply and see what happens.

I have seen some lamps that seem to be an open until power is applied
and then they become normal. I don't know what causes it, it's as
if a layer of corrosion built up on a contact somewhere.

Odds are it really IS bad, but five minutes will make sure.
--scott

These are ballasts that help to limit the current on the input transformer
winding, or blow if too much. The FT-757 uses a grain-of-wheat bulb tacked
onto the board. It is probably not critical, but it should be noted that
smaller lamps may coat the envelope if they blow hard, leaving them
conductive. Can be a problem with fuses too.

Old August 28th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
toivo.mykkanen@gmail.com

On Friday, June 5, 2009 at 6:54:02 AM UTC-7, paul @removeppinyot.removecom Paul P wrote:
Can anyone point me to a source for the 16 volt bayonet pilot lamps use to
protect the receive circuit of the Yaesu FT-101?

Thanks,
Paul P.

Automotive Supply Stores carry the Sylvania 1891 LL bulb which is a 14 volt 3.4 watt bulb. You can also order the 606-CM1892 14.4 volt 1.8 watt bulb from Mouser. Either work just fine in the FT-101 series of radios.
Old August 28th 16, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
G. Beat

RossComm based in Fareham, Hampshire (UK) bought out Yaesu EU service inventory a
few years ago. They had hundreds of that part, in stock, at that time.
http://www.rosscomm.co.uk/home

CONTACT them (e-mail) fir details or watch their eBay store front.

gb