Old July 22nd 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default piezo buzzer

what is postive and negative on a round buzzer where contacs are an inside center circle and an outside ring ?

or does positive and negative matter with a piezo buzzer ?
Old July 23rd 12, 05:13 AM
Banned

Location: Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
what is postive and negative on a round buzzer where contacs are an inside center circle and an outside ring ?

or does positive and negative matter with a piezo buzzer ?
I suppose you are referring to the piezo element alone. In that case the answer is 'no polarity' as the element responds to an ac signal only.
Old July 23rd 12, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I have a nice auto multimeter. The continuity buzzer's out so I wanted to test it, replace with a radio shack element.

The meter turned itsself on inside the snapbox. Apparemtly the contacs touched killing the buzzer or driver.

When I tried it last, the buzzer buzzed twice then died.

Positive inside contact circle or outside ring ? Probably a standard

Old July 23rd 12, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

OK, this is not the answer, but a little tale about piezo buzzers.

I got a new "stud finder" (for locating wall studs in a building). It
was superb! Got the job done. Three or
four years later, I had occasion to use it again. Worked fine, except the
"buzzer" didn't sound. Tore it down
and found the little devil piezo element. Located a similar Radio Shack
element, and replaced the original.
Still didn't work. SWMBO said "hope you get tired of playing with that noisy
thing"....... HUH?
Well, piezo worked just fine. Ears had aged embarrassingly.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

Old July 23rd 12, 07:19 PM
Banned

Location: Bangalore

Correct! Pulsed DC too!
Old July 23rd 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

for Ears, H202...

I lost a Wal Multimeter, giving a negative rating, when packing for a Xrosscountry trip. The meter was packed deep. It began screaming on Texas 1016 (?). bing bong bing....and down there it died.

The silent one now is an Acton from Summit Racing. It needs revival. I hope the buzzers dead so the prebuzz circuit remains alive.