Old August 12th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Oddball Raytheon Subminiature Tubes QF-721

Hello, My apologies for the intrusion. but I have a question that I
am
hoping someone has an answer to. I have never posted to a news
group,
so again, my apologies if this does not meet the standard protocol.

I have a bunch of Raytheon Subminiature tubes that I inherited from
my
Father, who was an electronics bugg (I followed a different path)
that
have code QF-721. In searching the internet I have found a bunch of
identical looking tubes such as one labeled CK6088. I have done lots
of searches on the internet and I cannot find out anything about
these
and am wondering if you know about these, or if you can point me to a
website that might shed some light on these.

I am considering the possibility of donating these to someone but if
cannot find out what they are for, I cannot imagine how I can find
who
to donate them to -- perhaps a school or something.
Old August 13th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Robert Seely wrote:
I have a bunch of Raytheon Subminiature tubes that I inherited from
my
Father, who was an electronics bugg (I followed a different path)
that
have code QF-721. In searching the internet I have found a bunch of
identical looking tubes such as one labeled CK6088. I have done lots
of searches on the internet and I cannot find out anything about
these
and am wondering if you know about these, or if you can point me to a
website that might shed some light on these.

That's a Raytheon experimental number. I have a Raytheon document
dated 1953 which lists a bunch of the QF numbers but not that one.
These were never intended to be sold to the general public and so were
not listed in the handbooks.

These are apt to be a variant of some relatively standard submini tube
but without the original documentation or without a sample tube to put
on the curve tracer I am not sure how we'd know precisely what it is
a variant of.

Almost certainly your father bought a bunch of these from a surplus
dealer. In the fifties and sixties there was a lot of wacky stuff
coming loose from manufacturers like this.

I am considering the possibility of donating these to someone but if
cannot find out what they are for, I cannot imagine how I can find
who
to donate them to -- perhaps a school or something.

If you send me one I'll put it on the curve tracer and tell you more
or less what it is. Submini tubes in general are not worth very much
because the Raytheon plant was still making them well into the late 1980s
and they're still coming out of the surplus pipeline even today. But
they are still very, very cool and a lot of fun for small radio and
audio projects.
--scott

Old August 13th 11, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Aug 12, 7:25*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Robert Seely wrote:

[...]

email me your address and I'll send you one.
Old August 13th 11, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Robert Seely wrote:

[...]

email me your address and I'll send you one. - Hide quoted text -

r s s 9 2 0 8 4 at g m a i l dot com
Old August 13th 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Robert Seely wrote:
[...]

Among other applications sub-miniatures were used in
hearing aids and model aircraft controllers.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old August 13th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 08/13/2011 01:48 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Scott wrote in message
Robert wrote:
[...]

Subminiature tubes were developed as bomb fuses for use in mines and
torpedoes.

Old August 13th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Kenneth Scharf wrote:
On 08/13/2011 01:48 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Among other applications sub-miniatures were used in
hearing aids and model aircraft controllers.

Subminiature tubes were developed as bomb fuses for use in mines and
torpedoes.

I think indeed the first subminis that came out of the Raytheon plant
were intended for proximity fuses. Those were designed with very heavy
reinforcement so they could handle heavy acceleration parallel to the
plate, and that same technology made them useful in a lot of other
low-microphonic applications.

Some of the last ones that came out of the plant were spares for the
first and second generation B-52 navigation systems, which used a
von Neumann machine made up of around 250 submini tubes.

In the meantime they went into everything from Army field radios to
weather balloons to condenser microphones.

They were just a hell of a great technology if you ask me.
--scott

Old August 14th 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Kenneth Scharf wrote:
On 08/13/2011 01:48 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Among other applications sub-miniatures were used in
hearing aids and model aircraft controllers.

Subminiature tubes were developed as bomb fuses for use in mines and
torpedoes.

I think indeed the first subminis that came out of the Raytheon plant
were intended for proximity fuses. Those were designed with very heavy
reinforcement so they could handle heavy acceleration parallel to the
plate, and that same technology made them useful in a lot of other
low-microphonic applications.

Some of the last ones that came out of the plant were spares for the
first and second generation B-52 navigation systems, which used a
von Neumann machine made up of around 250 submini tubes.

In the meantime they went into everything from Army field radios to
weather balloons to condenser microphones.

Not just military stuff. Those Motorola lunchbox type transceivers,
something like the P-33 (maybe that was a later model) used subminatures
in a hybrid. There were some consumer radios that used them. There was
even at least one military general coverage receiver that used them, I
can't remember the model but I remember the surplus ads, and it was quite
a fancy receiver (so likely the subminature tubes did make a difference
there, allowing it to fit into a somewhat reasonable space.

Michael VE2BVW

Old August 14th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 15:14:31 -0400, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

Subminiature tubes were developed as bomb fuses for use in mines and
torpedoes.

And in proximity fuzes in Anti-Aircraft shells. Those tubes were
rugged!

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr plan.b .at. dsl .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
Old August 16th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Michael Black" wrote in message
ample.net...
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Lots of snipping here...

[...]

I think they were used in a couple of receivers made for
the Navy by RCA. I remember seeing the solder-in tubes
there. As Scott points out they were also used in some
miniature microphones, for instance the Altec-Lansing M-20
system (I have one somewhere).

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles