Old August 17th 04, 08:48 AM
Sarah Fender

Default CALL SIGN LOOKUP

Is ther anyway you cna prevent your call sign from being looked up on the
internet. I ask because when I google my call sign all the expected info is
found but when I google someone elses(just one call) I find nothing to their
idenity. IS it possible to block this information?

Old August 17th 04, 09:14 AM
Ralf Ballis - DL2MRB

In this case I would say no one have any information about this call sign on
his page or there wasn't enough time for search engines to find it.
Any person who have takes any information about call signs, names, etc. in
connection of a person in his page and any search engines will be able to
found this periodical and write it to the database.

Regards

Ralf

--
Vy 73 es 55 de Ralf, DL2MRB
E-Mail:
Old August 17th 04, 02:13 PM
J999w

A ham callsign?

Online info is a good thing, saves you the effort of giving out your address if
you want to get a QSL from the bloke you're working.

Why would you want to block your info ... something to hide???

jw
k9rzz
Old August 17th 04, 03:27 PM

Sarah

All that means is that you have posted to newsgroups, and the people
that haven't don't get caught by Google. Google only can search for
someone who would have published something. You can't stop that kind
of finding. If you published, Google will find you. If not, it won't.

Henry WA0GOZ

PS Try my callsign.

Old August 17th 04, 05:33 PM
Vito

All I found was your full name and address.

wrote

PS Try my callsign.

Old August 17th 04, 06:54 PM
Jimmie

"J999w" wrote in message
A ham callsign?

Online info is a good thing, saves you the effort of giving out your

address if
you want to get a QSL from the bloke you're working.

Why would you want to block your info ... something to hide???

jw
k9rzz

Sorry about any confusion because of user ID but I was using my daughters
computer. Thought I had it set up to give my name. Nothing to hide. Read
what you snipped. I was just trying to figure out why I could not get this
information on some else who says he has been a ham for a while. I plugged
in his call sign in google and did not get the usuall information back from
a callsign data base. First time this has happened to me. Was I talking to
someone with a bogus call.

Old August 17th 04, 07:55 PM

Vito wrote:

All I found was your full name and address.

wrote

PS Try my callsign.

When I Google my callsign I get 334 hits. Try again. Be sure to use
Google and not a callbook lookup site.

Henry WA0GOZ
Old August 17th 04, 09:06 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:54:27 GMT, Jimmie hath writ:

"J999w" wrote in message
A ham callsign?

Online info is a good thing, saves you the effort of giving out your
address if you want to get a QSL from the bloke you're working.

Why would you want to block your info ... something to hide???

Sorry about any confusion because of user ID but I was using my daughters
computer. Thought I had it set up to give my name. Nothing to hide. Read
what you snipped. I was just trying to figure out why I could not get this
information on some else who says he has been a ham for a while. I plugged
in his call sign in google and did not get the usuall information back from
a callsign data base. First time this has happened to me.

Was I talking to someone with a bogus call.

Question mark?

Try this:
http://www.qrz.com/detail/XNZZZ
^^^^^...inserting the callsign.

If the reply is "The callsign XNZZZ was not found on our server.", then
the callsign was either never issued or expired A LONG TIME AGO.

Elsewise, just entering the callsign in Google will only reflect how
"busy" the op is on the web, in usenet, .... and/or in contests.
(I find my call often in contest logs that folks feel a need to post
on web sites....) I'm sure there are some grizzled olde (active)
op's that have never owned or used a computer (not even a Commodore 64),
and whose existance could not be proven by Google. (Google usually
does not index the pages given up by other "look-up" engines such as
QRZ.COM and BUCK.COM.)

Jonesy
Old August 17th 04, 09:31 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Henry

Can I ask a disassociated question concerning Search Engines?

If so, here is my question.

Most ISP subscribers have a home page usually named Index.html from
this page they place links to their other pages stored at the website.

OK, Google can find all of these no problem.

But, if you place pages on the website that are not linked to your
Index page that requires the person accessing your web site area to
know the word or name to type behind the actual URL to get to this
hidden web page, can Google find that page?

The reason I ask is that I have certain pages that are accessable only
to those who need to know and know what to type behind the URL to get
them to come up.
To the best of my knowledge, none of these hidden pages (not linked to
the Index page) have ever been picked up by Google.
Naturally these types of pages bring up the directory instead of the
home page if you click the back button, but the directory only shows a
link to parent directory and clicking on that automatically brings up
the index page, so the directory showing the hidden files supposedly
cannot be seen.

How safe is this method?
And can Google find it?

TTUL
Gary

Old August 17th 04, 09:43 PM
Rob

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
[...]

Generally Google or other search engines will not find pages that are not
linked. You can make sure that Google doesn't list it even if it does find
it by putting META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX" between the
head/head tags.
Rob