Old July 14th 05, 05:05 PM
tjs

Default MOV protection of 120vac circuits with high freq content

Not a REC.Radio issue but still appropriate here...

Question: will 1-10khz harmonics riding along on 60 hz power cause
protective MOVs to charge and short out thusly drawing damaging currents.

The scenario: I have an Allen Bradley PLC digital input card and it contains
1 MOV across ac input channel terminals (I think they are MDC Z181 spec).
They are there to protect against high voltages at the terminals which I
contend never occurs, never seen it happen. What does happens is that a 232
ohm 1/8th watt (current limiting?) resistor just ahead of the MOV will
slowly heat up and burn to open circuit in about 30 seconds after
connection. Using 0.125W (P=I^2 x R) 232 leads me to exceeding a current
of ~25ma drawn to burn the resistor.

The IO being monitored is motor run status from a VFD driven motor (variable
frequency drive, PWM type, naturally using ~50-100khz synthesis methods).
The control power is riddled with harmonics from 500hz to 10khz, and I
estimate 10vp-p maybe less (as seen on the oscilloscope). As soon as I
close the electrical connector to the IO card the resistors start heating
up, smoke, then fail.

I know I need to isolate the control power and rid the plc of the harmonics.
I just want to confirm the high frequency components can cause MOVs to short
as if there was a high voltage event when there isnt one. I beleive the
capacitor model of a MOV means it should charge up at higher frequency, and
maybe this is why it takes 30 seconds for smoke to appear.

Regards
Tim KF8XW

Old July 14th 05, 05:31 PM
jk

"tjs" wrote:

Not a REC.Radio issue but still appropriate here...

Well this isn't rec radio either!
A mov does not model as a "capacitor" it models as a (verY) non linear
resistor.

What is the continuous rating of the MOV.

Old July 14th 05, 06:32 PM
John Popelish

tjs wrote:
Not a REC.Radio issue but still appropriate here...

Question: will 1-10khz harmonics riding along on 60 hz power cause
protective MOVs to charge and short out thusly drawing damaging currents.

The scenario: I have an Allen Bradley PLC digital input card and it contains
1 MOV across ac input channel terminals (I think they are spec).
[...]

If the MOV voltage is well below its conduction threshold, then it
looks to the outside world, much like a small capacitor. So you can
expect that a signal with significant high frequency content will pass
more current through it than one with only line frequency content.

I don't recognize the part number of your MOV, but this data sheet for
some small MOVs lists the capacitance for a 132 volt AC unit is only
21 pF.
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Litt...r%20Series.pdf

This bigger disc type lists the capacitance for the 130 VAC unit as
100 pF.
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Litt...r%20Series.pdf

If you can find a data sheet for your unit, the capacitance should be
listed.
Old July 14th 05, 07:12 PM
tjs

Sorry , I crossposted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew and sci.eng.electrical
sys-protection

I'm having trouble finding data on the MOVs. The markings MDC Z181 04UL seem
to point to a 175 vac 225vdc 17-19 joule device with 130 pf capacitance,
1200 amps Ipeak, 25mW transient dissipation. I searched Digikey and NTE. It
is about 10mm diameter disk type, maybe 8.5mm per some datasheets.

Tim

Old July 14th 05, 07:54 PM
tjs

This is close the exact component I have.
http://www.maida.com/content/product...6121ZOV181RA04
It shows 320pF. Its marked 04UL is supposed to mean 40 joules, although the
data sheet says 60J.
Tim

I want to conclude that the MOV can short pulling over 25ma thru the 1/8th
watt resistor, heating it up, due to 10khz components on the voltage, and
not an actual high voltage. Would this be a true statement?

Thanks

Old July 14th 05, 08:41 PM
John Popelish

tjs wrote:
This is close the exact component I have.
http://www.maida.com/content/product...6121ZOV181RA04
It shows 320pF. Its marked 04UL is supposed to mean 40 joules, although the
data sheet says 60J.
Tim

I want to conclude that the MOV can short pulling over 25ma thru the 1/8th
watt resistor, heating it up, due to 10khz components on the voltage, and
not an actual high voltage. Would this be a true statement?

Without having the exact waveform, it is impossible to say exactly how
much current the MOV capacitance allows through. I suggest you try an
experiment of removing one of the MOVs and see how much cooler the
resistor runs.
Old July 15th 05, 12:59 PM
tjs

Yes I think I will have to test the MOVs to really know. Or as you suggested
take a MOV out and measure resistor temperature.

Old July 18th 05, 12:03 AM
John Popelish

tjs wrote:
Yes I think I will have to test the MOVs to really know. Or as you suggested
take a MOV out and measure resistor temperature.

I was suggesting that you might prove that the MOV current is the
cause of the resistor overheating, by removing an MOV and applying the
input signal. I can't guarantee the input will work, correctly, however.