Old January 18th 06, 01:28 AM
Junior Member

Location: Canada
Default 2.4 GHz Capable Scanner?

First off, I want to state that monitoring phone (cordless/cell) bands/frequencies in Canada is legal. That being stated, is there a scanner, preferably handheld, that is capable of monitoring 2.4 GHz bands/frequencies? If so, can I get a recommendation on a specific make and model?

Thanks

Last edited by randomjester : January 18th 06 at 01:30 AM
Old January 18th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:28:19 +0000, randomjester
wrote:

First off, I want to state that monitoring phone (cordless/cell)
bands/frequencies in Canada is legal. That being stated, is there a
scanner, preferably handheld, that is capable of monitoring 2.4 GHz
bands/frequencies? If so, can I get a recommendation on a specific make
and model?

never heard of a scaanner that does that freq range I guess I could
put a scanner and transverter that would cover that rnge esp ass a
scanner aat hf can scaner more thanmost of say my 2m radios

Thanks

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old January 18th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bo Williams

randomjester wrote:
First off, I want to state that monitoring phone (cordless/cell)
bands/frequencies in Canada is legal. That being stated, is there a
scanner, preferably handheld, that is capable of monitoring 2.4 GHz
bands/frequencies? If so, can I get a recommendation on a specific make
and model?

Icom IC-R20 will scan that range.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Old January 18th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Krackula

wrote:

First off, I want to state that monitoring phone (cordless/cell)
bands/frequencies in Canada is legal. That being stated, is there a
scanner, preferably handheld, that is capable of monitoring 2.4 GHz
bands/frequencies? If so, can I get a recommendation on a specific make
and model?

Thanks

even if you find a scanner to listen to 2.4 gigs , pretty much all the
cordless phones are digital , up there. the apco25 digital scanners
can't decode the digital cordless phones. nearly all of the
potential 2.4 gig activity your scanner could find would be digital
and / or wideband ( wifi ! ) and either not decodeable or hearable
/ decodable in the case of wifi , for example. you might find
an occasional nanny cam if you have " video " abilities in the scanner
( also a wide bandwidth signal )
but they are rare to run across as they run pretty low power and have
limited range.

you could save yourself money and get something more suitable for 2.4
gig work by making your laptop into a spectrum analyzer type
of scanner and using the " card "
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-Ghz-Spectrum...QQcmdZViewItem

and doing the 2.4 gig type of things like wardriving and mapping
/ popping local bubbles !

http://www.bitshift.org/wardriving.shtml

there is some ham activity , up there , that is narrowband ..... not
much else ! ( for the consumer with a nb scanner )

the modern technology that has moved into the 2.4 ( and now 5 gigs )
range has kinda left scanners behind. for communications that takes
place up in the 2.4 gig range and above ( with 5 gigs becoming all the
rage nowadays ) , a scanner isn't really the proper instrument
anymore, as the times and technology have changed. scanners have
their place as narrowband instruments but not much narrowband stuff
happening for the scanner hobbyist in the 2 gigs and up range !

Old January 21st 06, 11:31 PM
Junior Member

Location: Canada

Scanners that I have found.

Can any pick up 2.4 GHz/900 MHz dss cordless phones?

AR-8200MKIII (Unblocked)
http://www.radioworld.ca/swscan/aor.php#8200mkiii

Icom R-20 (Unblocked)
http://www.radioworld.ca/swscan/icom.php#r20

Icom R3 (Unblocked)
http://www.radioworld.ca/swscan/icom.php#r3

BCD 396T
http://www.radioworld.ca/swscan/unid...en_bcd396t.php

Uniden UBC-3300XLT
http://www.javiation.co.uk/ubc-3300xlt.html

Alinco Scanners & Receivers
http://www.radioworld.ca/swscan/swsc_alinco.php

Any recommendation?

Thanks

Last edited by randomjester : January 21st 06 at 11:39 PM

Old January 22nd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
DougSlug

You will not be able to hear DSS cordless phones. The whole point of using
DSS (digital spread spectrum) is to make it much harder to decode; it is
impossible to decode with just an analog scanner. Many standard analog 900
MHz phones are still in use, and you don't need anything special to monitor
them. Pretty much any reasonably up-to-date scanner will work for that.

If you are buying a high-end receiver to try to get 2.4 GHz phones, you're
wasting your money. On the other hand, once you discover you can't, please
post your FS ad here so we can get an almost brand-new receiver for a
discount.

- Doug

http://tinyurl.com/cpk8a

Old January 22nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bo Williams

DougSlug wrote:
You will not be able to hear DSS cordless phones. The whole point of using
DSS (digital spread spectrum) is to make it much harder to decode; it is
impossible to decode with just an analog scanner. Many standard analog 900
MHz phones are still in use, and you don't need anything special to monitor
them. Pretty much any reasonably up-to-date scanner will work for that.

If you are buying a high-end receiver to try to get 2.4 GHz phones, you're
wasting your money.

For the most part you're right, but there are some analog 2.4GHz
cordless telephones out there at the bottom of the pricing tiers, just
as there were with 900MHz phones.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/