Old May 5th 04, 06:10 AM
Grumpus

Default DXing All 50 States On AM Broadcast Band

Hi, can anyone point me to a link which lists the best bets for DXing
all 50 states? I did find one, but it was from 1992. Anyone know of
a more current one?

Regards,

Grumpus
Old May 5th 04, 07:04 AM
T. Early

"Grumpus" wrote in message
om...
Hi, can anyone point me to a link which lists the best bets for

DXing
all 50 states? I did find one, but it was from 1992. Anyone know

of
a more current one?

This may help--from Hard Core DX. Check the fourth posting on the
page discussing info from Popular Communications. Unfortunately, I've
got a lotta states to go.

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.ph...c=dxlab&page=7

Old May 5th 04, 07:24 AM
m II

Grumpus wrote:

Hi, can anyone point me to a link which lists the best bets for DXing
all 50 states? I did find one, but it was from 1992. Anyone know of
a more current one?

This may help get you started..

http://www.radioenthusiast.com/am-fm_DX_links.htm

And a list of those pesky stations up north that may interfere with your
searching..

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/F...1/canadaam.htm

mike
Old May 5th 04, 04:02 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Grumpus wrote:
Hi, can anyone point me to a link which lists the best bets for DXing
all 50 states? I did find one, but it was from 1992. Anyone know of
a more current one?

The right answer to this is somewhat dependent on your location - for
example, if you're in Chicago, KBOI-670 is not the right answer for
Idahogrin!

I like Bruce Conti's PopComm list on
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.ph...c=dxlab&page=7 . I'd make a
few additions:

Alabama: WJOX-690, WAPI-1070
Arizona: KMIK-1580 (R. Disney) has been reported in the East
California: KNBR-680, KNX-1070
Florida: WMGG-820 (in Spanish) at sunset/sunrise
Georgia: WMAC-940
Iowa: if WHO doesn't work, try WMT-600
Kansas: KSAL-1150
Mississippi: WCPC-940 (sunrise/sunset), WTNI-1640
Missouri: the former WDAF (whose calls escape me now) on 610
New Jersey: WVNJ-1160
Oklahoma: KGYN-1210 at sunset
S. Carolina: WLFJ-660 at sunrise
South Dakota: KOKK-1210, KSOO-1140
Texas: This list seems to have missed the regular-band best bets:
WBAP-820, KTRH-740, KRLD-1080, WOAI-1200
Wisconsin: WTMJ-620

The 50,000-watt station list on
http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/50kwam.html is useful. Be sure to
read the antenna codes (U1/U2/U3/U4). U1 and U3 stations are more
likely to have a good signal. Also, frequencies between 1230 and 1490
(inclusive) are regional channels with more interference. They may work
at your location though.

The posted link to a Canadian list is, I'm afraid, VERY inaccurate. It
contains a LOT of stations that no longer exist. The entries with the
call letters "NEW" are "notified" allotments - chances are none of these
frequencies will ever be used. A much better link for Canadians is
http://spectrum.ic.gc.ca/infoback/dg.../baserade.html , click on
"Broadcasting Database Files". You'll end up with a .zip containing
several .DBF (and other) files. Your spreadsheet program can probably
read AMSTATIO.DBF, the official Canadian AM database.

There are a lot of obsolete and unused-allotment records in here too,
but they can be filtered from the real stations. Only records where the
callsign starts with CB, CF, CH, CI, CJ, CK, or VO are for stations that
actually exist.

Do understand that logging all 50 is a VERY serious challenge, which
will take a lot of luck and probably several decades to complete. It
can be a lot of fun to pursue though!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old May 5th 04, 05:45 PM
deje a lector guardarse

See Big USA AM Radio Stations -- The 50 Kilo Watt Night Folks at URL:
http://ac6v.com/clearam.htm

Also consoladates some other posts made here

Has Canada and Mexico listings as well -- (some have been reported outdated)

--
deje a lector guardarse

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

om...

Old May 5th 04, 06:16 PM
Grumpus

"T. Early" wrote in message ...
"Grumpus" wrote in message
om...
Hi, can anyone point me to a link which lists the best bets for

DXing
all 50 states? I did find one, but it was from 1992. Anyone know

of
a more current one?

This may help--from Hard Core DX. Check the fourth posting on the
page discussing info from Popular Communications. Unfortunately, I've
got a lotta states to go.

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.ph...c=dxlab&page=7

Thanks T., and to all who responded, this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Regards,

Grumpus

FM Broadcast band as we know it going away? Robert Hovland Broadcasting 36 October 9th 13 07:36 PM
FCC: Broadband Power Line Systems Paul Policy 0 January 10th 05 06:41 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 03:51 PM
FM Broadcast Band station list? Albert Dx 6 June 20th 04 11:49 PM
FM Broadcast Band station list? Albert Dx 0 June 20th 04 03:14 PM